Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Synchronizing bookmarks?

I just received my Sony PRS 505 Reader. It looks great and the fonts are just fine for me at least on the 2 books I just purchased.

However, when I synchronize, the books on my PC are added to the Reader but my bookmarks are NOT synchronized. How does one do that?

In addition I notice that the page numbers on the PC do not match the page numbers on the Reader. Is their any way to make them the same?

Finally, one book which came on the Reader is not placed on the PC. Is there some way to do that?

Also, in what directory of the PC are the books stored? I'd like to back them up. What are the file extension of the ebooks?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
However, when I synchronize, the books on my PC are added to the Reader but my bookmarks are NOT synchronized. How does one do that?
I'm not sure I'm following what you're asking about. Are you saying that the bookmarks in the books on your PC don't show up in the copies on your Reader? Or the other way around? Or something else entirely that I'm missing?

I don't have a 505 (my 500 doesn't support the sync functions ), so I can't really suggest solutions, but perhaps someone else can shed some light on the matter for you.

Quote:
In addition I notice that the page numbers on the PC do not match the page numbers on the Reader. Is their any way to make them the same?
The page numbers should match up if you have both the Reader and the eBook Library software set to the same zoom level: i.e. S, M, or L. If they're on different settings then the page numbers won't match up.

If you have them on the same setting and the pages still don't line up then something odd is going on.

Quote:
Finally, one book which came on the Reader is not placed on the PC. Is there some way to do that?
You probably can copy it by manually draggin it from the Reader's entry in the eBook Library software into the Library's listing section. That ought to do it for you.

Quote:
Also, in what directory of the PC are the books stored? I'd like to back them up. What are the file extension of the ebooks?
The extension for ConnTexts (texts from the Connect Store) is .LRX (Sony's unencrypted format is .LRF, in case you need to know that at some point ).

You can see where they're located by opening a book in the eBook Library (as though you meant to read it), and then clicking on the "i" icon toward the upper right of the window (right under the "Search Library" box). That'll bring up a number of informational items about the file, including it's location on the hard drive.

It should be something along these lines:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\My Documents\My Books\CONNECT Reader

A note on the filenames for ConTexts, they tend to be a bit ... cryptic. Such as "000110001awe.LRX"

You can rename them if you like, it won't affect the files or the way that the Reader sees them. However, if you rename the files in the spot where the eBook Library software sees them (I mean in the library's file location) then the software will 'lose' them and think they've been deleted. The solution to that is simply to re-import them into the eBook Library software after you've changed the name. You may also have to delete the entries it thinks are 'lost.'

Hopefully, that will get you started on what you need. Be sure and ask more questions if you have them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks and a possible bug...

Thanks for that information. It really helps.

I'd still like to know how to synchronize bookmarks if somenone else knows it for the Sony PRS 505.

I came accross an apparent bug in the PRS 505 software on the Reader. When reading the New International Version Bible, if I hit enter over a footnote, a message comes up on the bottom: "formatting." I then must do a reset by inserting a paper clip in the reset hole on the back of the Reader.

I tested it twice and it happened both times. Until then I presume I will have to stay away from bible footnotes. No data was lost so it appears it never did a real format.

I am using Firmware version: 1.0.00.08130.

Your suggestion on matching pages on the Reader to the PC worked perfectly by setting the magnification level the same. I'll use that way to relocate my position from PC to Reader when I finish a reading session.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't think "formatting" means like formatting a hard drive, I think it means formatting the text... perhaps to the size that you are currenlty reading.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard

Formatting and music

That could be the problem. The Reader firmware may be trying to format the footnote text to the size I am using which is large in the New International Version. Perhaps it only works if the size I am using is only small. Either way footnotes are not that critical and I will just ignore them.

I tried to play music and I heard nothing. Is there some setting which permanently blocks sound? I tried by deleting the 2 songs which come with unit figuring they were defective and imported another song in which I know plays well. Still I cannot hear the music on the Reader even though this song does play in eBook Library.

Actually, after I turned it off after experimenting with the music, all my books were gone off the Reader. I had to re-synchronize it. I presume Music playing is another bug in the firmware. I deleted all the music and pictures from the Reader now to just save space.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-14-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Advert
Old 12-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried to play music and I heard nothing. Is there some setting which permanently blocks sound?
I know it's a dumb question, and I don't mean any offense by it, but: you are using headphones, right?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard

No speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I know it's a dumb question, and I don't mean any offense by it, but: you are using headphones, right?
True, I thought there was a speaker inside. Now I realize one needs headphones to hear the music.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
True, I thought there was a speaker inside. Now I realize one needs headphones to hear the music.

Thanks.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid you might be missing.

Glad we got it worked out, in any case.