Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #16
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
I did notice that if you press on the three dots in the corner of a book or long press on it, there is an option to change the read status.
Shad Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #17
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
It's not the first time. Page Flip was remotely turned on after being shipped, as well.

This is perfectly normal alpha/beta testing: you ship the code for both the old and new UI to everyone, then enable the new UI for an increasingly larger percentage of users as time goes by
It's totally wrong. The sort of stupidity that MS has been doing since release of Win10, though even there you CAN block updates if you are expert.

Some people don't even have WiFi, or even Internet, they rely on a someone else to download books or firmware, and even copy/install it.

Changes in behaviour should be in Read Me, available before update. NEVER remotely after install at a later date. Some changes in updates are plain abusive (Like Kobo and MS have done like adding adverts to GUIs that didn't have them to HW you bought ages ago).

I'm not saying the feature is wrong, should have been in the GUI from the beginning and isn't complicated. I've written plenty of GUIs for desktop and embedded systems. The delivery method is wrong. Changes in behaviour, even if enhancements, bug fixes or good other than by an EXPLICIT update are wrong. Also it's wrong to have forced updates except on things owned by the supplier (like a Cable Modem).

Last edited by FrustratedReader; 04-12-2019 at 10:00 AM.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #18
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
I did notice that if you press on the three dots in the corner of a book or long press on it, there is an option to change the read status.
I think the question was whether it works for side-loaded books. I am pretty sure that it does: you can toggle READ status for the Your Clippings file, which is essentially a side-loaded document.

Personal documents, magazines have to have this status set with the item menu on Home screen. Books and audiobooks will automatically do it if you get to the end of the book (wherever Before You Go shows up) or audiobook.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:07 AM   #19
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
When I read this I checked my two PW 4 Kindles, one had the "read" option and one didn't. They have both been updated to the latest firmware so I assume there is some activation rolling out from Kindle.

I've been wanting a "read" option for nine years. Thanks, Kindle.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #20
Proximanova
Proximanova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, 7th generation (2015)
Hi there! New here, from India (a country where Amazon’s Kindle, Fire and Echo marketing department is on overdrive), and I have updated my PW3 to 5.11.1.1; one very big update (for me) is that I am able to access the entirety of the dictionary (i.e., I can navigate to any word of my choice by pressing-and-holding a word and selecting Open Dictionary from the menu. Previously, the dictionary definition only showed up for the current word, and I could not navigate to another word as I can on Kindle for Android. Not only this, but there is a listing of all words in the dictionary, accessible from the Go to Index option in the three-dots menu.

Otherwise I don’t see much of a difference from the previous version.
Proximanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #21
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
When I read this I checked my two PW 4 Kindles, one had the "read" option and one didn't. They have both been updated to the latest firmware so I assume there is some activation rolling out from Kindle.

I've been wanting a "read" option for nine years. Thanks, Kindle.
Restart will make it show up, though it is sometimes spontaneous.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #22
hollowpoint
Connoisseur
hollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheese

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
It's totally wrong. The sort of stupidity that MS has been doing since release of Win10, though even there you CAN block updates if you are expert.
It might be helpful to allow for some exceptions--'totally wrong' is rather absolute. Canary release is a valid software deployment strategy, there are good reasons for using it some cases. Users find a reason to complain no matter how you roll out a new deployment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Sync and restart did not surface the feature on my Kindle or Ipad, both are on the latest versions. Not urgent for me, but flagging it for the benefit of others in the same state--some might not have it yet.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
Sync and restart did not surface the feature on my Kindle or Ipad, both are on the latest versions. Not urgent for me, but flagging it for the benefit of others in the same state--some might not have it yet.
None of my Kindle ereaders on 5.11.1.1 or apps have the Read/Unread feature yet.

My iOS devices have Kindle version 6.15.1. Is that version supposed to have it? I haven't seen any Kindle app updates in a while but then again, I'm still on iOS 10.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #24
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
This is what I did to unlock the read and unread options and maybe worth trying if you still don't have it.

Connect to wifi and do a sync.Restart kindle oasis 2.
This gave me the filter and sort option but still no Read and unread selection.
I had to again connect to wifi and do a sync and while still connected to wifi put the kindle to sleep/close cover. Wait 10 seconds and turn it back on. I have now unlocked the read and unread options.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #25
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
My iOS devices have Kindle version 6.15.1. Is that version supposed to have it? I haven't seen any Kindle app updates in a while but then again, I'm still on iOS 10.
Kindle for iOS version 6.17 is current. The read/unread feature is listed in the release notes for that version so I doubt that an older version will support it.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #26
hollowpoint
Connoisseur
hollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheesehollowpoint can extract oil from cheese

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Kindle for iOS version 6.17 is current.
Yeah 6.17 is what my Ipad Mini is running and I installed the Kindle app a week ago. And 5.11.1 on the Kindle reader. Still neither one shows the new feature.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
This is what I did to unlock the read and unread options and maybe worth trying if you still don't have it.

Connect to wifi and do a sync.Restart kindle oasis 2.
This gave me the filter and sort option but still no Read and unread selection.
I had to again connect to wifi and do a sync and while still connected to wifi put the kindle to sleep/close cover. Wait 10 seconds and turn it back on. I have now unlocked the read and unread options.
I give up. Tried it 3 times on my PW3 but still no filter/sort nor read/unread. Guess I'll just have to wait.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #28
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3 BasicK/Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis2
Mine just appeared one at a time. No restart or anything else did anything to speed it up. My android app got it first. Then my O2. Then my basic, but it took a bit for it all to show up. Sorting stuff first, read/unread options later. My Oasis1 still doesn't have it and Voyage is still off wifi for now due to library loan.

I like it a lot. But let it settle in. It takes a while it seems to populate the read/unread books.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:48 AM   #29
plainbriny
plainbriny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Nook Glowlight 3
I didn't see any of these, perhaps because I have disabled indexing with some trick?
plainbriny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #30
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Interesting. I took the PW4 that hadn't received the "read" update and restarted it. Then I checked and it wasn't there. I drank some coffee and pondered and suddenly a message appeared announcing the new feature. I checked and the "read" update was there.

Thanks for the help.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote