Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps my memory is at fault, in that case. My apologies, if that is the case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #17
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
Remember that you need to be in a book to access page display - once you've opened a book tap the top of the page and you get the usual banner with icons for home, back, settings, etc, and below that is the page display drop-down menu.

To re-sort your books into most recent, go into a collection and use the far right drop-down menu to select 'recent' (options are recent, title, author).

To set the time, tap the three dots icon on the right of the top banner, select settings>device options>device time.

My Voyage is on version 5.10.1.1. The latest software is 5.11.1.1 - you can download it to computer here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=201630670

My apologies if you've tried these options and they don't work for you, I hope you can get them sorted out soon..

regards

Sue
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
To set the time, tap the three dots icon on the right of the top banner, select settings>device options>device time.
Setting the time does not set the date. That's the issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #19
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I just checked my Voyage and it does seem that the only way to set the font is within a book. However, once it is set, it stays the same for all subsequent books unless you change it. I don't see anywhere that a date shows up. Of course I could be missing something.

The clock setting is under Device Options in All Settings on the home page. It can be set automatically if you have wifi on.

Last edited by krazy4katz; 04-07-2019 at 09:15 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #20
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Device: none
Thanks for your help.

The clock was off some hours and is fixed
Newly added books appear now as most recent on top as well as all books opened recently. There is still one or two that have not been opened in ages and should not appear on the first few pages but do - whatever the reason. In general it is a lot better now.

I don't know why Amazon decided that the UI does not need bigger font while at the same time it allows books to be displayed in really big font size but I assume it is a question of coding an adaptive UI design (aka a question of money).

Bigger font size in the UI is (was) available in first generation (keyboard) Kindles but of course these are heavier and have no touchscreen. And Amazon does not give a sh** about customer care so they do not bother to invest in something for a minority.

I hoped there is a patch or mod since obviously I am not the only one wishing for a bigger font size in the UI.

I like the Kindle display very much otherwise I would probably look for a different e-reader.
Even smartphone apps are more convenient and while their UI isn't adaptle either (in font size) you can work around that. But they are useless (at least for me) in broad daylight.

It is a pity that while the technology is available now there are still so many obstacles for people with disabilities (being reduced or missing sight, hearing or motor skills)
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos
It could simply be that the Oasis has a bigger screen and thus has that option. I notice on my Voyage that the titles do not flow to the next line as they do in the reading section. When it gets to the end of the space, it just cuts off.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #22
NullNix
Fanatic
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by manawydan View Post
Thanks for your help.
It is a pity that while the technology is available now there are still so many obstacles for people with disabilities (being reduced or missing sight, hearing or motor skills)
Honestly we're lucky they didn't decide to fix this in a Special Disabled-Only Kindle with ten-year-obsolete technology, ten megabytes of storage and costing a mere £4000. That's how everything *else* is handled in this area

(yes, I am typing this on a keyboard that cost £500...)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #23
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Honestly we're lucky they didn't decide to fix this in a Special Disabled-Only Kindle with ten-year-obsolete technology, ten megabytes of storage and costing a mere £4000. That's how everything *else* is handled in this area
True.
Good screen magnifyers for PCs still cost a fortune and are outdated whenever there is a major upgrade in the OS (not to mention the plans MS has for its OS now). And it is not only the official (legally) blind or sight-impaired who can and do need to use such magnifyers.

I have to come back to the original problem.

I still see the problem with the recent order in the booklist on both devices.
The old Kindle Paperwhite as well as the Voyage.
None got a firmware update, one is jailbroken.

The old PW is keeping the time now and newly transferred books appear as "recent" on top of the list. It seems not all books do appear and sometimes a book can simply not be found (although when connected via USB to Calibre it is listed as "on device").
There are also books near the top which I have not read for ages when the sorting is set to recent.

I am tempted to say, well, the device is old and heavily in use but .. the newer Kindle (Voyage) which I have used only sporadically does have problems with the system time and - even after the time has been corrected again - does not list "recent" correctly.

Books transferred today are not shown on top of the list and a book I finished reading which should be either on top or immediately after the new transferred books can not be found anywhere near the top.

Had to search for it to remove it from the device.

None of this is good.

Even worse, after a restart in the hope to "wake up" the memory it showed a completely wrong system time and the book list is still screwed up.

I think I once read that flash memory damage (?) can cause such problems, what do you think? The only thing both devices had to endure is an occassional (seldom) crash on the floor. Of course I try to protect them (got a nice cover for the pw) and not use them as frisbees or coaster and they did work fine afterwards but .. well .. :/
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote