Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Small thumbnail on Voyage

This seems like a blast from the past - Today I sent 2 books to my Kindle Voyage and one had a fine thumbnail, and the other had a small thumbnail (330px). I updated Calibre, same result. Sent a third book, small thumbnail. I manually replaced the thumbnails in the system folder, but of course I'd rather not have to do that every time. Thoughts?

My Voyage has NOT yet received the recent update from Amazon.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm the current calibre code uses a thumbnail height of 470px not 330px. If you are seeing thumbnails of 330px then, you are likely running an outdated version of calibre.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...driver.py#L405
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

I realize this first came up when the Voyage first came out, and I discussed it here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1385298

At the time, it turned out to be an add-in that apparently disabled the new thumbnail height. This time, I tried disabling some add-ins and it didn't make a difference. I am running the most current version 2.50.1 64 bit. It was a slightly older version when I first got a small thumbnail yesterday, and I updated Caliber and still got a small thumbnail.

I know it sounds crazy. Why would it happen, a year after the code was changed for the Voyage to send a 470px thumbnail, would it suddenly send a smaller thumbnail? But it is. I watch the thumbnail appear in Kindle\system\thumbnails, and it is 330.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

And as I did last year, I installed the portable version and that sends the 470px thumbnail just fine. Because of the solution that was found last year, I suspect some add-in decided to update itself and changed the behavior. But I've not yet found which one to disable - I disabled a few and still got 330px. The only add-in I have added is the DRM removal tools.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

OK, so working on the premise that the problem was caused by a plug-in, as it was over a year ago, I wasn't sure which one to disable. There are now several that look similar to the one that caused the problem last year. So I checked off "Show only user installed plugins", and the only similar one listed was:

"Kindle 2, 3, 4, Touch, PaperWhite, Voyage Device Interface Paperwhite thumbnail FIX MOD (1.0.0) by John Schmber, ElGabo COmmunicate with the Kindle 2.3.4.Touch/PaperWhite/Voyage eBook reader. Modify the thumbnail size for Paperwhite"

With that one disabled, and the following one left enabled, the thumbnail is now good:

"Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite/Voyage Device Interface (1.0.0) by John Schember Communicate with the Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/PaperWhite/Voyage eBook reader." (this was left enabled).

I didn't specifically install that first one, so I'm not sure why it gets listed under "user installed plugins", but in any case, that fixed the problem.
Advert
Old 02-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The FIX MOD plugin overrides the builtin, obviously.
And it, unlike calibre, has not been updated for the Voyage.

I am guessing the only reason it exists is for older versions of calibre, but I don't know why since it should correspond already to the builtin version in calibre 1.48.0
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote