Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2018, 04:54 AM   #856
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The name of the patch you need to enable is Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen.
This is REALLY cool, thank you guys!!!
Merry christmas to all of you!
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #857
El Duderino
#hilakleiner
El Duderino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Hey guys, got the latest Nickel FW on an original Aura. Is the latest version of this mod in the OP? Thanks!
El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #858
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Hey guys, got the latest Nickel FW on an original Aura. Is the latest version of this mod in the OP? Thanks!
As far as I know, if it is the same as the one at kobo-nightmode_build13.zip, it will work.

OTOH, I would suggest using the patch available at Instructions for patching firmware 4.12.12111. Look for "Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen" in the libnickel.so.0.0 patch set.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #859
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
The difference between the patch this thread we're currently in talks about and the invert patch as part of the overall firmware patches (which @DNSB linked to) is this:

The patch in this current thread includes a user-editable nightmode.ini file, in which you can set a value for how often the screen is refreshed that's different from the one used in normal mode. On my Kobo Clara HD, refreshing the screen every chapter is fine in regular-video day mode, and that's what I leave it set at on my Reading Settings menu. But I get severe ghosting if I refresh anything less than every page turn in inverse-video night mode, and so I have "refreshScreenPages = 1" set in nightmode.ini.

Thus, with the patch in this thread, while actually using the ereader, I only have to toggle one thing -- invert mode -- to both invert the screen AND change to the appropriate screen-refresh value; using the libnickel patch DNSB refers to requires having to toggle invert mode AND THEN also manual changing screen-refresh.

For the patch provided in this current thread we're in now, I set the toggle value to 100% brightness, and the timeout delay of 1 second. It's a very quick maneuver to slide the brightness indicator all the way to the right then after just a second, once night-mode has toggled on or off, to move it back to a lower level.

My nightmode.ini looks like this:

Code:
# config file for kobo-nightmode

[state]
invertActive = no
retainStateOverRestart = no

[control]
longPressDurationMS = 800
debug=no

[nightmode]
refreshScreenPages = 1

[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes
timeout = 1
100 = toggleNightMode

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 01-07-2019 at 02:24 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:16 AM   #860
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Thanks for raising the overall firmware patches. I*didn't know it existed, it's very interesting.

One thing I*like about the night mode patch we are talking about here is that the 1% brightness is slightly lower than the default 1% brightness (I find Kobo way too bright. I never ever go above 8% of brightness). Do you know if this feature is also in the overall firmware patch ?
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2019, 02:09 AM   #861
Geiz
Geiz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo / Glo HD
Dear All,

I have a question about the "Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen" patch that exists in the general nickel kobopatch firmware.
Yesterday i applied the kobopatch_4.12.12111 on my Kobo Glo. It installed perfectly, and when i say invert = true in the reading settings it inverts as it should.

But, when i start reading, after a few pages of reading it justs switches back to normal lighting, without me doing anything weird except for swiping pages. It happens everytime without fail.
Am i missing another setting somewhere that works in conjunction or againt invert=true?
Or might this be a bug in the Kobo Glo kobopatch firmware?

I also have a kobo glo HD, i will try and test that one tonight.

Thanks in advance

edit: awfully sorry if this is a duplicate question, i tried searching but there are a bunch of threads about different kinds of night mode patches so its hard to filter out similar problems

Last edited by Geiz; 01-30-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Geiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #862
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi guys,

Here are new firmware 4.12.12111 for each model of devices :

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases .

All is ok on my kobo Glo (not HD) and my kobo Aura HD with night mode build13 .

Last edited by akorx; 02-07-2019 at 05:27 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:39 AM   #863
Geiz
Geiz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo / Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Hi guys,

Here are new firmware 4.12.12111 for each model of devices :

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases .

All is ok on my kobo Glo (not HD) and my kobo Aura HD with night mode build13 .
Thanks i will try out this patch, thanks for the tip
Geiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #864
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Hi guys,

I've got a Glo (not HD) on which I've added a resistor in order too reduce the brightness since 2013 and all is ok still today after 6 years; I was the first person to ask the question and Yok and the others guys have found a solution here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=200706&page=7 ).

I've got a second kobo (aura HD) and the brightness is too high...

So I've got a question : is there a way with a plugin too reduce brightness on all Kobo devices ? if not, a good solution would be to create a plugin that can divide the settings by 2 or 3 or why not 10, in order to reduce brightness under 1% like 0.1%, 0.2%, etc.
If the brightness slider does not accept a setting under 1%, another solution coud be to mislead the value send to the LEDS (we set 10% on the slider but the real value send is 1%, 9% send 0.9%, etc).

Developers : do you see a solution , it could be a good challenge, no ?

A good add-on is nightmode, it can be found here : https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...de_build13.zip but it doesn't reduce the level of the leds.

PS : sorry for my very bad english, I'm french... someone with a good english level might create a new post for us with this question / challenge and give us the link here ?

Last edited by akorx; 02-12-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #865
akorx
Addict

Hi my friends,

I've create a new post for my last question about reduce brightness, it's here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...80#post3811180
Old 02-16-2019, 05:20 AM   #866
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoq View Post
Mingyars problem with calibre turned out to be that when using usb, /mnt/onboard must not be used. To fix this, screenInv.so was moved to /root. I also changed the logging system to have no open files on the onboard sd. However I disabled logging for normal use, but you can still build a version that logs with "make debug".

+ New Feature, at the request of Lucas Malor:
Hold the Light-button for two seconds to toggle Night-Mode.
The same should happen when you press the HOME button on a Kobo Touch.

Upgrading is highly recommended, an old version + calibre could corrupt your database.

To upgrade, copy KoboRoot.tgz from old_uninstaller to your .kobo folder.
Reboot, the install the new version with KoboRoot.tgz from the installer folder.
Delete screenInv.so from your .kobo directory, it's no longer needed.
Does this package apply to Kobo H2O first edition (with microSD slot)?
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:41 AM   #867
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe the SLL is an update to the SL or SoloLite. See https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/applicat...te/AN11988.pdf
it's abbr

same thing
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #868
Ennas
Ennas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi!

I accidentally turned on the wifi and it resulted in an involuntary firmware update. Aaargh!

I reinstalled the night mode v13, but it doesn't work. Did I do something wrong? I installed it the same way I did before, by copying the tgz file in de .kobo folder and rebooting the device. Afterwards, nothing heppens when I long-press the light button.

As the 1% light is way too bright for night reading, I would really, REALLY like "my" night mode back. Please help!

Edit
Firmware is 4.15.12920

Edit2
I used the tgz for firmware 4.2 and it worked! Yay!

Last edited by Ennas; 07-15-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Ennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #869
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennas View Post
Hi!

I accidentally turned on the wifi and it resulted in an involuntary firmware update. Aaargh!

I reinstalled the night mode v13, but it doesn't work. Did I do something wrong? I installed it the same way I did before, by copying the tgz file in de .kobo folder and rebooting the device. Afterwards, nothing heppens when I long-press the light button.

As the 1% light is way too bright for night reading, I would really, REALLY like "my" night mode back. Please help!

Edit
Firmware is 4.15.12920

Edit2
The version in the first post is for older firmware. There were changes in the 4.2.x firmware that meant that a new version was needed. There were more recent changes to add support for newer devices, but, the latest version should work with any device running 4.2.x or later. Links to this have been posted in the thread, so I assume you found one of them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #870
akdop
akdop began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennas View Post
Edit2
For others similarly burned (as I was), the link that works with the 4.15 kobo firmware is:

https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...de_build13.zip

SO GLAD to have night mode back!
akdop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch