Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
sirkarolloo
sirkarolloo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation I cant see "documents" folder on my Kindle

I cant see "documents" folder on my Kindle. I can read books but when i want to download new ones i just cant add them because my pc's doesnt show documents folder. When i try to make new documents folder it just asks what i want to do next because there is already folder named "documents". I just cant see it.

sirkarolloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Hi
If you can see/read books on your Kindle it is a problem with your PC showing the documents folder. Do you see other folder in the Kindle root directory?

Try to adjust the folder options in explorer?
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
sirkarolloo

Hello i tried on many computers (also win XP and 7) I can see only one this but its not a folder smt like "DONT HALT ON REPAIR" and one hidden folder.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1st Gen, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 7
I'd like to help, but I'm having difficulty understanding the question... it looks like you're using a Windows system.... Perhaps you could try from the command line? If you know the drive letter assigned to your Kindle, for example E:, you can try this and report back what you see:

<WINKEY>+<R>
(press the key with the windows logo in the lower left of your keyboard between CTRL and ALT and while holding that, press the R key, then release both)

In the run program box that comes up, type cmd and press enter.

You'll get a black box that has a bit of white text and a blinking cursor after a prompt that says something like:

C:\Users\Sirkarolloo> _

At this, type:

E:<ENTER> (replace with the drive letter of your kindle)
DIR<ENTER>

Take a screenshot of that or copy and paste the results here... if Windows XP you select text to copy by right clicking and choosing "Mark" followed by right clicking and choosing "Copy" after you've highlighted the text... if Windows 7 you can copy & paste as you usually do.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alternatively:

<WINKEY><R>

In the run box, type:

E:\Documents <ENTER>

(replace E: with the drive letter assigned to your Kindle)

This should open you directly in the documents folder, even if you can't see it....
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
sirkarolloo

Thank you very much. Sorry for my previous english, I was writing it via Mobile Phone. I've opened it from the command line, but my next question is why I cant acces it normaly ?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkarolloo View Post
Thank you very much. Sorry for my previous english, I was writing it via Mobile Phone. I've opened it from the command line, but my next question is why I cant acces it normaly ?
I'm not sure. Looking at my PW in Windows explorer, it's not a hidden folder and it's not a system folder. Maybe it was hidden on yours?

At the command prompt, try typing:

Code:
E:<ENTER>                                 [or whatever your drive letter was]
attrib /S /D | find /I "documents"<ENTR>  [the quotes are necessary]
(the | character is on the same key as the \ character, usually above the <ENTER> key on US keyboards, though sometimes down near the bottom)

You might get a very long list of results depending how much stuff you have on your Kindle, but you should see one result (probably the last) that is just the folder... are there any letters at the beginning of the line, such as a capital H?

Last edited by twowheels; 10-17-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Forgive me for asking, but you do know that you have to click on the drive that the Kindle appears as to see the folders underneath, don't you?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
sirkarolloo

Quote:
SH E:\documents
But even if I set that hidden folders should be visible the only folder i can see is "RECYCLER"
Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard

There's your problem! It's both hidden AND a system folder, which is a different visibility setting.

Now, do this:

Code:
E:<ENTER>                                 [assuming it's still E:]
attrib -S -H documents<ENTER>
This should fix it. Not sure how it got messed up, but something changed it... all of my Kindle devices show up with no attributes set, so this'll make yours the same.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-18-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
sirkarolloo

wow Thank You Very Much ! Your advices were really helpfull. Everything is now fine.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
twowheels
Wizard

Awesome! Glad I was able to help!!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
There's your problem! It's both hidden AND a system folder, which is a different visibility setting.
Just to clarify: I didn't mean that a system folder is itself a visibility setting, but that there was a different setting to be able to see them in Windows explorer. Just in case other readers stumble upon this. I don't want to seed confusion.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
pousi86
pousi86 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Smile thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

Now, do this:

Code:
E:<ENTER>                                 [assuming it's still E:]
attrib -S -H documents<ENTER>
This should fix it. Not sure how it got messed up, but something changed it... all of my Kindle devices show up with no attributes set, so this'll make yours the same.
wow thank you so much i had the same problem and this was very helpful everything is good now
pousi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
twowheels
Wizard

Glad it helped, and welcome to MR!

I'm curious how these are getting messed up...