Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #91
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjames View Post
I am a newbie and looking for the "right" eReader. The Boox 60 is very
intriguing and I have read and watched everything I can find but I still have a few questions I hope you can help with:
1. when will an 8 inch be released?
2. when will a full browser be available?
3. memory at Mb is very little/plans for 1Gb?
4. does it cost to upgrade to 16 grayscale?
5. is the AdobeDE what allows one to read DRMs & is it installed?
Thank you
Hi,

1. The 8 inch is planned to be available in May.
2. It depends on what you're definition of a full browser is. There are some features on the browser that is disable and in good reason. What feature/s are you referring to?
3. Are you talking about the RAM memory or the space available for files? The RAM is likely to stay, but the space is designed to use with SD cards. It can support SD cards up to 32 GB.
4. The hardware already supports 16 level grayscale, the software just needs to be upgraded to utilize it.
5. I think this question is already answer by others. :-)
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #92
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
Hi,

2. It depends on what you're definition of a full browser is. There are some features on the browser that is disable and in good reason. What feature/s are you referring to?
3. Are you talking about the RAM memory or the space available for files? The RAM is likely to stay, but the space is designed to use with SD cards. It can support SD cards up to 32 GB.
4. The hardware already supports 16 level grayscale, the software just needs to be upgraded to utilize it.
5. I think this question is already answer by others. :-)
Something around 9+ inch plus smooth (/fast) pdf/djvu support and I would forget about tablets as eReaders for 2010
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #93
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
So, if I understand you correctly, DRMed epub books (like those available from public libraries) are not directly downloadable to the Boox.
For ebooks you buy, OTA downloads should be possible once the kinks are out. However, lending library ebooks will have to be downloaded to a PC/Mac and then side-loaded via USB to the device. This is because libraries don't have OTA capability.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #94
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
Hi,

Will it be in the same form factor as this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22...er_8_inch.html or will it have the ring navigation of the 60

For full browser support I assume that means Javascript, SSL and CSS support. You are using webkit arn't you?
Could be an interesting application do CSS3 printing support on an eInk device.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #95
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Something around 9+ inch plus smooth (/fast) pdf/djvu support and I would forget about tablets as eReaders for 2010
I bet you won't be alone.

I am quite tempted by the upcoming lbook's/ Jinke's A9.
The list of features is quite impressive.
But somehow I am more attracted to the wacom touchscreen technology.

MikeOnyx
Quote:
I suppose no plastic?

Last edited by eLiNK; 01-28-2010 at 07:34 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #96
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Hi MikeOnyx,

I am really enjoying my Boox 60 and I appreiate your responsivenes in this forum. I have questions:

1. Lagre screen Boox devices: The Boox is raising quite some interest at my Grad School. The obvious question for many people there is: When will the 9" version be relesed? Before or after the 8" in May? Is May a fixed date or a tentative estimate? Would be important to know, esp for institutions faced with a slew of new devices this year. An estimatd price range would of course be great as well.

2. Firmware policy: As much as I enjoy my Boox, I am growing a little impatient at Onyxes firmware policy. Selling new devices with a newer firmware version (Dulins Boox comes with 1.2.2.) that is available on the net (booxusers.com) but not on the official site is not particularly nice to earlier customers. Please have 1.2.2. released immediately and do let us have a roadmap for 1.5 and statements about upcomig apps. The information is scattered on the web, you also make pronouncemens here and there, what is the harm in systematizing them and putting them on the website as an orientation for users?

other than that : keep up the good work!
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #97
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am with menelic on the fact that the international website is not as (officially) responsive and integrated (and international) as such a front end to such good products ("s" for May I hope) should be.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #98
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Greetings,

I have two questions about the Boox:

1. Can anybody render a judgement on the MP3 player? How is the sound quality? What features does it offer (i.e. how does it navigate, does it show album art, does it have a shuffle mode, etc.)?
2. Will the wifi connect to ad-hoc hot-spots such as those generated by cell-phone tethering apps and portable devices such as the My-Fi?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #99
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by menelic View Post
Hi MikeOnyx,

I am really enjoying my Boox 60 and I appreiate your responsivenes in this forum. I have questions:

1. Large screen Boox devices: The Boox is raising quite some interest at my Grad School. The obvious question for many people there is: When will the 9" version be relesed? Before or after the 8" in May? Is May a fixed date or a tentative estimate? Would be important to know, esp for institutions faced with a slew of new devices this year. An estimatd price range would of course be great as well.

2. Firmware policy: As much as I enjoy my Boox, I am growing a little impatient at Onyxes firmware policy. Selling new devices with a newer firmware version (Dulins Boox comes with 1.2.2.) that is available on the net (booxusers.com) but not on the official site is not particularly nice to earlier customers. Please have 1.2.2. released immediately and do let us have a roadmap for 1.5 and statements about upcomig apps. The information is scattered on the web, you also make pronouncemens here and there, what is the harm in systematizing them and putting them on the website as an orientation for users?

other than that : keep up the good work!
Hi,

1. The 8 inch is next to be released over the 9.7 inch. It is "planned" to be released in May. It is more towards fixed then tentative. However, also understand, when they say available, it means it will be available for bulk sale, which means it may take another few weeks in getting into retail. However, the site we manage in the US, www.onyxboox.com should be one of the fastest in getting it into consumer hands. As for the price point, they have not even released the pricing for bulk sales let alone retail. The biggest problem with the 9.7 inch is durability. Once we find a way to around that, it should no be long before we release it. Onyx wants practicality and quality over all else. For example about the cover, we tried using metal lock-ins and we found that it can cut people's hand. We also tested out dual screens early last year and we found it redundant and unpractical.

2. The only reason why 1.2.2 is not on the corporate website is it is not "official" yet. A few have it for test purposes. However, I believe you can download here: http://www.booxusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22

At Onyx, we rather clean along the way than to just get it done and have a huge mess to clean up. What I mean is we rather do it right with as few mistakes as possible than to push a deadline. As for applications, hehe, I wish I can tell you. However, just know we are making some official applications in the US with some nice content providers that is not yet on any other eReaders. In fact, we should be coming out with an announcement sometime in February with our first launching partner. The reason I cannot tell is to respect them and their desire for launch dates and negotiations are still in progress.

Last edited by MikeOnyx; 01-28-2010 at 04:53 PM.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #100
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hi,

I am a bit confused by the stories about how long the device will last on a single battery charge.
Is it really only 4-5 days?
How does this translate to page turns?

I guess it is the Wacom tablet and the WLAN which will eat up the battery. If both are off and I just use it in the same way than I would use my Sony 505, would I get a similar number of page turns. Also, the battery in the 505 will last for weeks if it is in sleep mode and I am not using it. Would this be the same with this device?

Thank you
Robert
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #101
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
8000 page turns when just reading- no wacom no wlan. I get 4 days even when i websurf for an hour or 2 each day. if you forget to turn off the wifi though it could only last a day.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #102
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the answer!
One last question regarding the 8000 page turns - just to make it clear. With wacom and wlan off, when I put the device to sleep after lets say 100 pages,it will last for more than 4 days? The 4 days you are quoting is with the occasional use of wacom and wlan?

Looks like an interesting device! I am currently sharing my 505 with my partner and would therefore like to buy another device, so far this one seems to be most interesting one.

One more thing. I am in the UK, is this device available here? A quick google search didn't reveal too much. Whats the story with the Bebook Neo? Any advantage/disadvantage in comparison to the Boox?

Thank you
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
8000 page turns when just reading- no wacom no wlan. I get 4 days even when i websurf for an hour or 2 each day. if you forget to turn off the wifi though it could only last a day.
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could anyone tell me, please, the best place for a buyer in the UK to order the Onyx Boox 60 from?

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #104
dioib
∂₪≈☼

Found some input (I wonder if somebody could confirm):
Quote:
Onyx plans to release three new versions of the Boox including a 10" and a 8" within the first or second quarters of 2010. Onyx is also coming out with a 5" version with features closer to the popular Sony 600 and the Kindle to compete with them except with a lower price.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #105
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Harry, you might be better waiting/pre ordering for the BeBook Neo version. :-)
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx