Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2022, 09:21 AM   #46
iangaringer
iangaringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Does anyone have version number for Kindle Oasis 3 on 5.14.1?
iangaringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:09 PM   #47
Freshmaker
Bookworm
Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iangaringer View Post
Here are the build numbers for all models and firmware versions:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720
Freshmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #48
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by iangaringer View Post
You don't need to know the numbers for any model if you use this KUAL extension
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347165
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:11 AM   #49
fonix232
Enthusiast
fonix232 doesn't litterfonix232 doesn't litter

Device: KOA4
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Good idea. I hope someone looks into this. It might be a bit more complicated than just putting in a large number.
Sorry to report back so late. I've done the WatchThis jailbreak on my KOA3 (5.14.2.0 firmware), and modified the file to include a much higher value than latest updates.

Unfortunately this did not work as the bastard somehow managed to grab an OTA and apply it after I tried installing KUAL (without much luck, sadly). So now I'm out of jailbreak, AGAIN

Fingers crossed we get another freebie 0-day for 5.14.3+ firmware soon.
fonix232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:57 AM   #50
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
If you had installed the hotfix bin prior to that OTA update you can still restore the jailbreak (bridge). Unless you've done both factory reset and firmware update in succession.
Just try reinstalling the hotfix...

Last edited by shamanNS; 06-13-2022 at 09:09 AM.
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #51
fonix232
Enthusiast
fonix232 doesn't litterfonix232 doesn't litter

Device: KOA4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
If you had installed the hotfix bin prior to that OTA update you can still restore the jailbreak (bridge). Unless you've done both factory reset and firmware update in succession.
Just try reinstalling the hotfix...
Unfortunately I did do a factory reset while trying to repeat the jailbreak (since KUAL wouldn't show up, even though MRPI reported it as installed). After installing KUAL, there was an update bin present in the root of the mounted storage, which was named something in relevance to KUAL itself, and a few (possibly hundred) kB in size. I presumed this was part of KUAL's install method (never installed it through MRPI), hit update... And the bastard updated to 5.14.3.x... After that, not realising the actual OTA update went through, I tried to do the jailbreak again, stupidly did a factory reset, so now there's no jailbreak at all The hotfix just returns the usual "An invalid update file has been loaded on your device" message.

Last edited by fonix232; 06-13-2022 at 10:41 AM.
fonix232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:58 PM   #52
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice if more people reported their results, especially including from and to versions and models.

Last edited by j.p.s; 06-14-2022 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:36 PM   #53
Freshmaker
Bookworm
Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It would be nice if more people reported their results, especially including from and to versions and modls.
I was able to successfully downgrade my PW4 from 5.14.2 to 5.13.6 and downgraded my PW5 from 5.14.2 to 5.14.1.1

Didn't run into any issues. But really important to reapply the renameotabin extension before connecting to wifi. Otherwise it will immediately update to 5.14.3.0.1
Freshmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:22 PM   #54
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I successfully downgraded a KOA2 from 5.14.3.0.1 to 5.14.2.

Note:I was already successfully jailbroken at 5.14.2, then received the OTA update to 5.14.3.0.1.

Steps: re-installed hot fix just in case, reinstalled KUAL, then used the downgrade extension to go back to 5.14.2.

Errors experienced:

* after copying the 5.14.2 bin to the root of my kindle, I received an error something to do with an incompatible update file. Tried downgrade, and it rebooted and no downgrade, but copying over the bin the second time worked fine. Successful downgrade.

* amazon sneak-attacked me and auto-updated me immediately after my downgrade. After the OTA update, I turned on airplane, reinstalled KUAL, re-applied downgrade (same error as above). After downgrade immediately applied the renameOTAbin extension: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=174.

Downgrade working and persisting.
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:07 AM   #55
markle
markle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
While you guys all downgraded successfully, mine is a sad story.

I was trying to downgrade my KO3(bought recently) from 5.14.1 to 5.13.6 using tools from that guide. All things went well but when the update finished and Kindle reboots, it halts and kept this screen.
[Snip of over-large image]
I've tried all methods rebooting etc. After pressing power button for 40seconds it's screen backlight lit up for 1-2 seconds and then turned off. That's the only "response" I got. BTW, the LED is working as normal, turning green as I press the button.

My guess is that the boot is broken. And a notable thing is that my KO3 was shipped with firmware version 5.13.7.1.
So my guess is that downgrading to a version lower than shipped with will break the device.
So CONSIDER THIS when you buy a new device and try to downgrade with this guide.

Misc information:
Kindle Oasis 3
5.14.1 jailbroken using WatchThis method
trying to downgrade to 5.13.6
shipped with 5.13.7.1

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-20-2022 at 08:11 AM.
markle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #56
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by markle View Post

So my guess is that downgrading to a version lower than shipped with will break the device.
So CONSIDER THIS when you buy a new device and try to downgrade with this guide.
Very sorry to hear about your misfortune, but thank you for the warning, I'm sure it will be useful to several people (it certainly is to me). I think your assumption makes sense; even though the devices are marketed as the same, Amazon might use a slightly different revision of some hardware components throughout the lifecycle of a given model, and older firmware might be missing the required drivers.

Maybe a question: how did you find out what the initial version of the firmware your kindle shipped with was? Did you write it down at unboxing time? I'm curious what was the initial firmware on my own KO3, and whether there is a way to find out. Thanks!
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:17 PM   #57
markle
markle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Sadly, I don't know any method of getting the firmware version shipped with. But maybe you can guess with date of the purchase and the date the update released?

Anyway, I don't think it's a big problem as long as you didn't buy it too recently. I bought it at Jan 13th, 2022.

I noticed (and remembered) it simply because that intriguing ".1" in the version "5.13.7.1". I think it may be the point, denoting that Amazon has changed something.
markle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:27 PM   #58
airotkiv
airotkiv began at the beginning.

Device: KV + KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markle View Post

I was trying to downgrade my KO3(bought recently) from 5.14.1 to 5.13.6 using tools from that guide. All things went well but when the update finished and Kindle reboots, it halts and kept this screen.
[Snip of over-large image]
I've tried all methods rebooting etc. After pressing power button for 40seconds it's screen backlight lit up for 1-2 seconds and then turned off. That's the only "response" I got. BTW, the LED is working as normal, turning green as I press the button.

My guess is that the boot is broken. And a notable thing is that my KO3 was shipped with firmware version 5.13.7.1.

Misc information:
Kindle Oasis 3
5.14.1 jailbroken using WatchThis method
trying to downgrade to 5.13.6
shipped with 5.13.7.1

This is a sad story indeed but maybe the clever people here can help?
I also tried it with a KOA3 after I jailbroke it with the WatchThis method (thank you folks!) and it immediately updated to 5.14.3.0.1.
For me, it simply did not work, the downgrade option never showed up in KUAL.
airotkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #59
airotkiv
airotkiv began at the beginning.

Device: KV + KOA3
I also tried to downgrade a KOA3 but seems like I was lucky. For me it simply did not work; the downgrade option never showed up in KUAL.
airotkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:21 PM   #60
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airotkiv View Post
I also tried to downgrade a KOA3 but seems like I was lucky. For me it simply did not work; the downgrade option never showed up in KUAL.
Which firmware version is on the KOA3 now?

Which version did you try to change to?

Did you install a FW downgrade extension to KUAL? (Which?)

Tags
firmware, firmware downgrade