Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #31
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You need to talk to yourself in 2015

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=12

Ha! So, I'm getting senile already
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:10 PM   #32
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Actually I now believe that the UI problem was due to the unexpected firmware downgrade.
Maybe that's a feature (for some devices and firmware ranges and empty documents directory). Put in the appropriate version.txt and let your device "up"grade to the one you want without having to download it and copy it to the device. I suspect that would only work smoothly for upgrades that had to be done in steps and would usually run a risk of it going straight to 5.14.x.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #33
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I don't think the change to the build number actually impacted the UI. I didn't realize at first that the firmware had updated itself to an older version than the one already installed. That resulted in a lot of incompatible data files. Because they do not expect downgrades the firmware does not handle them at all gracefully.
OK. so people with devices that support 5.6.1 and a /mnt/us/update.bin.tmp.partial directory or renamed OTA binaries can avoid the new download via USB hoops and not even have to actually downgrade the firmware.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:46 PM   #34
dedeca
Enthusiast
dedeca is on a distinguished road

Device: PW3 and PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeca View Post
I did a forum search on SSH on Kindle and found that I know absolutely nothing about it. If I tried, I would probably lock my device. Anyway, I'll keep researching, who knows, one day...
So... i was able to downgrade using SSH from KOreader + ubuntu in VirtualBox .
I did the procedure on my PW3, it was on firmware 5.14.3 and I managed to downgrade it to 5.13.5. The interesting thing is that after the reboot it was completely buggy, as if the two interfaces had mixed up. Since I couldn't access the settings, I passed an empty file DO_FACTORY_RESTORE and restarted it. Now everything is working perfectly.

Last edited by dedeca; 05-16-2022 at 05:50 PM.
dedeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:37 PM   #35
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Wiping (at least) some of the more database-y stuff from /var/local might be a good idea before attempting a significant (or maybe even a not so significant one) downgrade, because nothing in the process is intended to support database downgrades .

IIRC, back in the olden days, at worst it just broke stuff at runtime, but there is a non-zero chance it could break the boot, which would be bad .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeca View Post
I did the procedure on my PW3, it was on firmware 5.14.3 and I managed to downgrade it to 5.13.5. The interesting thing is that after the reboot it was completely buggy, as if the two interfaces had mixed up. Since I couldn't access the settings, I passed an empty file DO_FACTORY_RESTORE and restarted it. Now everything is working perfectly.
I think the troubles you and jhowell encountered were mostly due to (some of) the databases in /var/local. Clearing or deleting those might have saved having to DO_FACTORY_RESTORE.
Advert
Old 05-18-2022, 10:17 PM   #36
Abish4i
The Escapist
Abish4i began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 (10th Gen), Android, Zorin(linux)
I have JB on PW4 with FW 5.14.2 so all I need to downgrade is following:

Change version.txt value 387014 to 373602 and send update bin file to root and force update by rebooting.

Any cautions to be aware of?
Abish4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:30 AM   #37
oiler1729
oiler1729 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Gen
I have successfully downgraded my PW3 from 5.14.2 to 5.14.1 without issues using this trick, finally freeing myself from the new UI.
oiler1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:34 AM   #38
tinycrabman6
tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite, Scribe
Was able to successfully downgrade PW5 from 5.14.2 to 5.14.1.1 using this method

changed the version.txt value to 376678 (5.14.0.1)
tinycrabman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #39
oiler1729
oiler1729 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinycrabman6 View Post
Was able to successfully downgrade PW5 from 5.14.2 to 5.14.1.1 using this method

changed the version.txt value to 376678 (5.14.0.1)
How did you determine this version number? Amazon never appeared to release the source code or a firmware update for this version
oiler1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #40
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Read it from the "Device Info" section of Settings on Kindle PW5 device while it was still on firmware 5.14.0.1?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:37 PM   #41
tinycrabman6
tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tinycrabman6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Read it from the "Device Info" section of Settings on Kindle PW5 device while it was still on firmware 5.14.0.1?
That’s right on the mark, I got the version # from a picture taken when I first got my Kindle.

Sidenote: I noticed a few quirks after downgrading and reverting the UI with isKPPChromeEnabled=false.

I lost the ability to display covers on the lock screen, though registered successfully and able to download books, the cover option is not in the settings. Additionally the quick settings dark mode widget is gone, and the navigation progress bar no longer shows the 3 previous location dots.
tinycrabman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:01 PM   #42
John879
John879 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have a PW4 jailbroken on 5.13.7. Can I use this method to downgrade to 5.12.1? I don't believe mine shipped with firmware that low, so I'm unsure if it would let me.
John879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:40 PM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John879 View Post
I have a PW4 jailbroken on 5.13.7. Can I use this method to downgrade to 5.12.1? I don't believe mine shipped with firmware that low, so I'm unsure if it would let me.
The firmware version at initial model release is what matters, not the firmware version it shipped with.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:16 PM   #44
John879

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The firmware version at initial model release is what matters, not the firmware version it shipped with.
I've tried downgrading from 5.13.7 to 5.13.6 and I keep getting "Update Error: 2" no matter what. I've verified the firmware bin file is for my model with Kindletool. Each attempt has given error 2 and I'm really confused why it isn't working. My plan was to try and slowly downgrade to 5.12.1.

Last edited by John879; 06-03-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:35 PM   #45
John879

Disregard, I finally got it working.

Tags
firmware, firmware downgrade