Notices

View Poll Results: Will you pre-order a Kindle DX
Yes. 51 32.28%
No. 107 67.72%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

(*)
- can I switch off the autorotation feature and rotate the display manually? Everybody that has ever tried to read in bed will understand why.
Yes.

daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
- can I switch off the autorotation feature and rotate the display manually? Everybody that has ever tried to read in bed will understand why.
i can answer this question : yes, the rotation can be left on automatic or manual. i read in bed all the time, so i know exactly what you are talking about.

(edit : oops, too slow )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I answered no but I might buy one eventually. I want a large reader in addition to my current Kindle 1. It's not enough of an emergency that I fell compelled to buy this just yet when there's an interesting new screen technology on the horizon. I want to see what Pixel Qi has to offer. I like the convenience of Amazon's store but if I'm reading mostly tech books on it, most of that will likely be Safari and purchased O'Reilly books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I preordered, but I may cancel if another large screen reader looks better by the introduction date. I very nearly bought a iRex DR1000S, and I would have bought a DR1000WS (with WiFi) particularly if it was $500. The only thing missing from the DX is WiFi, which would have cost about $5-10 to add and would really help at colleges. I have had good luck with Whispernet coverage on my Kindle 1, so perhaps it isn't that big a deal. I also think a touch screen would be better than a keyboard but again not enough to put off buying the DX.

I did not preorder a cover, because I wonder if a 3rd party cover would be better in the end.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #20
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I answered no since I just received my K2 in March. I am completely satisfied with my purchase of the K2, but I wish Amazon would have released the DX with the K2 so I could have had a choice.

I think the DX is a little too large for my recreational reading, but I still wasn't given the opportunity to compare. Amazon might have made an extra $160 from me for the DX and cover.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Nope. Nice device but I don't need it. I just use my Kindle 1 for leisure reading of regular books. No newspapers, magazines, PDFs (prefer printouts for my work pdfs, easier to read, flip through, mark up etc.).

So no need for the larger screen and I love the portability of 6" readers.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #22
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
No. No need; it won't fit in a pocket (I have a denim jacket with perfectly-sized large pockets on the inside) easily, and it's not optimized for book reading. I do not need newspapers or textbooks or PDFs at this time. This answer may change if I ever do.

However, it is not leftie-friendly; it has NO controls along the left side, and as a southpaw, I find it more comfortable to hold the Kindle in my left hand while I'm reading. I do appreciate 'next page' being on both sides, though, as I do move it back and forth if one hand gets tired. The XL not having controls on both sides is a big negative, and I don't get why that is so when ambidextrousness was a selling point in one of the K2 videos and photos of the K1 show prev/next page on the left side just as is the case with my Kindle 2.

However, my boss might like it. He's right-handed and is the PI in the lab I work in, and he has shown an interest in reading books on Kindles, but he also has a very large library of PDFs from scientific journals (I have 2,012 articles stored on my hard drive right now, and he has those and many more) and the DX would make it possible for him to read them more easily than on the screen of his Macbook Pro (albeit the color in images would be lost) without printing them. I don't usually need to read most articles when not using my MBP, so the Kindle 2 I bought for recreational reading is perfect.

For that reason, I sent him an email with a link to the product page and a summary of its features, along with "if you buy one, I do want to see it!".

Last edited by Buran; 05-07-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: It isn't leftie-friendly!
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #23
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
Yes.

Our household already has the Sony PRS-500 and the Kindle 1, which are great. What got me onboard was the large display. Most of my company's products is content in PDF format, so the DX would be a great portable device I can use for demo'ing our products. And being able to port my existing library to the new device will be a snap. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
... I also think a touch screen would be better than a keyboard but again not enough to put off buying the DX. ....
Anyone aware of anything e-ink like on the horizon, which would allow full finger-touch functionality, without resulting in dimmer screen?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
TheRealBillc
evangelist
TheRealBillc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 deceased now 950
Almost

No.
I think I'm waiting for the Plastic Logic device, even if it takes until next Summer. If it's a bigger screen than my PRS 700 it needs to be: completely plastic and able to stand up to twisting and flexing, and have a touch screen (no keyboard), and written annotation, and at least one dictionary, and wifi for downloading and updating periodicals.
TheRealBillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #26
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hmmm... I'm not answering yet because I'm sitting here with a firm *maybe*. This is definitely a case where I'd like to hold one in my hands before spending the money for it.

My biggest question is whether the Kindle DX is going to be easy for someone to use who only has the use of the left hand. Both of the predecessor devices have Next Page buttons on the left as well as the right side of the case. I'm loading the User's Guide over this very slow network connection to see if the autorotate function is only portrait to landscape or if one could turn the Kindle 180 degrees so that the page-turning buttons are on the left. Alright! Page 29 says, "Tip: Want the Next and Prev Page buttons on the left? Simply rotate the device 180 degrees so that the buttons are on the left side." Of course that wreaks havoc with the keyboard layout, but that's something to think about later.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #27
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
No, my K2 is already kind of big since I can't fit it in my pocket. I have no need for something bigger.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #28
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Hmmm... I'm not answering yet because I'm sitting here with a firm *maybe*. This is definitely a case where I'd like to hold one in my hands before spending the money for it.

My biggest question is whether the Kindle DX is going to be easy for someone to use who only has the use of the left hand. Both of the predecessor devices have Next Page buttons on the left as well as the right side of the case. I'm loading the User's Guide over this very slow network connection to see if the autorotate function is only portrait to landscape or if one could turn the Kindle 180 degrees so that the page-turning buttons are on the left. Alright! Page 29 says, "Tip: Want the Next and Prev Page buttons on the left? Simply rotate the device 180 degrees so that the buttons are on the left side." Of course that wreaks havoc with the keyboard layout, but that's something to think about later.
Come on Elsi... you know you want one... it's so pretty... and big... Come to our side Elsi... hundreds of thousands of PDF books from Google will be available... shiny & new... all the books on Archive.org... looks sooo nice with decal girl skin... 19th century illustrated books by Dumas, Dickens, Hugo, etc... Cookbooks... Come on Elsi... creating PDFs is really easy too... Darknet (shhhh)... it's relatively cheap... it's calling you Elsi
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #29
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
There are several reasons why I did not preorder.
- Amazon does not want my money and they do not allow me to buy one (I am not from USA)
- I will wait for the first hands-on reviews
- I will wait for more information (*)
- I do not have a credit card ;-)

(*)
- is the display on glass substrate or plastic?
According to the user manual for the Kindle DX, yes, you can. You can chose "auto" (where the text rotates to match how you hold the Kindle) or you can pick one of the edges (top, right, left, bottom) to be the "top" of the screen no matter how you hold the Kindle.

I read in bed all the time, so I definitely wanted a way to turn autorotate off.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #30
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
No, I never order anything without seeing how it stands up to the real world, both in terms of living up to its hype and whether any mechanical flaws unveil themselves. However, I do like the looks of this device and it would fill a need for me but I wouldn't have the spare dosh or CC to order one anyway... I'll change my answer to yes if anyone wants to purchase one for me...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote