Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Free Library of Philadelphia

I have been unable to access the FLP site for two days to download a book. No matter how I try to access the site I get a "504 Gateway Time-out" error message. Are others having this issue?
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FLP is working for me.Is this the URL you are using? https://freelibrary.overdrive.com/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I have been unable to access the FLP site for two days to download a book. No matter how I try to access the site I get a "504 Gateway Time-out" error message. Are others having this issue?
I just checked, and I was able to get to the site. I did not try downloading anything.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FLP is working for me.Is this the URL you are using? https://freelibrary.overdrive.com/
That's the same URL and it still doesn't work for me. I've restarted my PC and can't think of anything else to try. Suggestions?
Old 02-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try with your cellphone data. Maybe it's your ISP.
Advert
Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try with your cellphone data. Maybe it's your ISP.
Good suggestion but that isn't it. I tried using Explorer instead of Firefox and was able to access the site without any problems.

Can anyone confirm that they use Firefox to access FLP?

Update: using Firefox support info I cleared cache and cookies and fixed the issue. No idea why just one web site was a problem.

Last edited by GeckoFriend; 02-06-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Issue resolved
Old 02-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Glad you got it fixed. I use Firefox 56.x until one plugin is written for the new Firefox. It will be eventually.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
If you have a malformed cookie for a website, that can cause problems. It isn't a common thing, but it does happen from time to time.

Glad that it is working for you now.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #9
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I was going to explain some things can cause 504 errors, but I see you're already good to go. Bottom line: 504's are not something you can fix on your end, and they often resolve on their own (from your perspective). They are typically intermittent and short lived. If your browser cached a 504 page and was displaying that to you from cache and not going out to try to retrieve the actual current page, that would explain it. Although, a web browser should not cache an error page unless due to poor programming or a bug.

Then I looked at the specific link you were asking about, freelibrary.overdrive.org, and thought - Neat! A free overdrive library I might be able to use in addition to my local overdrive one.

Well, it looks like it's free as long as you consider $50 per year to be "free". Oh well, What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Well, it looks like it's free as long as you consider $50 per year to be "free". Oh well, What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.
If you live in Pennsylvania it is completely free. Out of state it is "free" to open enroll for a fee. Not all libraries allow out of state members to begin with.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If you live in Pennsylvania it is completely free. Out of state it is "free" to open enroll for a fee. Not all libraries allow out of state members to begin with.
I was curious if they offered out of area access, but I couldn't find any information about that on their website. (Not that I really need it at this point.) $50 a year is not bad if your local library doesn't really offer much. Is it better than Brooklyn or others who offer access for a fee? ... I don't know.

(As a side note, now I can't get to the site. "IP Address could not be found" error. Tried in three different browsers.)

EDIT: I got there by following the links on their main site. It's not freelibrary.overdrive.org, it's https://freelibrary.overdrive.com/ (.com instead of .org) – even though the main site is .org. It seems like they could set up a re-direct for that fairly easily (since they own the freelibrary.org domain).

EDIT: Not very quick today. freelibrary.overdrive.com is subdomain of Overdrive, not Free Library. (Now I'll just shut up and slink on out of here.)

Last edited by rcentros; 02-10-2018 at 02:26 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Is it better than Brooklyn or others who offer access for a fee? ... I don't know.
Fbone had a collection size thread which hasn't been updated in a few years.

Searching Overdrive, I get:

Philadelphia - 27,976 all eBooks; 25365 English language Kindle
Pittsburgh - 76,707 all eBooks; 68,287 English languaue Kindle
Brooklyn - 119,670 all eBooks; 101,636 English language Kindle

I'm not sure you can easily get the numbers for the smaller collections like Freading and the Cloud Library, but I think the above numbers give a good picture. As a Pennsylvanian, I can and do get library cards from the larger collections in my state. Pittsburgh is good. But the library I borrow from the most is the one I pay, Brooklyn.

Of course, it's not just a matter of numbers. A lot depends on how close your taste is to that of the librarians.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-10-2018 at 02:37 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:47 AM   #13
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
how to apply free?
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
how to apply free?
Read the whole thread. It is only free if you live in Pennsylvania. If you do, their website is pretty self explanatory ( or call them).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #15
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Read the whole thread. It is only free if you live in Pennsylvania. If you do, their website is pretty self explanatory ( or call them).
i only see the free... maybe they should change name
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote