Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
TedC
TedC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Portable Calibre

Apparently, I previously submitted this in the wrong area....

Many thanks for an absolutely well-thought-out and implemented program. However, I have a question re the portable version (0.8.7).

I would think that the portable version would NOT write to the registry. However, after installing I searched the registry for instances of 'Calibre' and found 27 key name matches, 23 value name matches, and 30 data name matches under Trolltech (HKCU Software). After deleting the registry entries and rerunning the program, the entries reappear. Should the portable version be writing anything to the registry, at all?

Is this a bug?

Once again, thanks for a great program. -- Ted Ciemier

Last edited by TedC; 06-28-2011 at 06:02 AM.
TedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Trolltech was the company who originally developed Qt, so I suspect that the registry keys are being done by the Qt library that is used by Calibre. If that is the case these registry accesses are very unlikely to be removed as they will be buried somewhere in the guts of Qt and that is maintained (I think) by Nokia and thus outside Calibre's control as far as getting bugs/issues fixed is concerned.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah, those reg entries come from Qt. calibre itself does not ever write to the registry whether in a portable version or not (the calibre .msi installer does write to the registry, but not calibre itself).

I'll look into it and see if its possible to convince Qt to not write to the registry, but I'm not hopeful.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I found some way to tell Qt to use a config dir rather than the registry. I've implemented it for the next release, hopefully it will take acre of those registry keys. I haven't tested it as I am currently in the middle of refactoring the Tag Browser, so let me know if it makes a difference in 0.8.8
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
TedC
TedC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you for your responses. I look forward to the new version and will check it out.
TedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
Axis
Axis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I found some way to tell Qt to use a config dir rather than the registry. I've implemented it for the next release, hopefully it will take acre of those registry keys. I haven't tested it as I am currently in the middle of refactoring the Tag Browser, so let me know if it makes a difference in 0.8.8
Hi.

I've tested the latest portable version, v0.8.57: it still writes to registry (HKCU Software TrollTech)

Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
Another thing I noticed is that calibre portable leaves a users folder on the root of the drive with an empty qt folder inside, anyway to stop it?
I keep having to delete it off the drive after I close calibre (which is often as my laptop is a piece of poop).
Aleyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Axis
Axis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleyst View Post
Another thing I noticed is that calibre portable leaves a users folder on the root of the drive with an empty qt folder inside, anyway to stop it?
I keep having to delete it off the drive after I close calibre (which is often as my laptop is a piece of poop).
So It's not portable at all
Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
It used to be lol, but seeing as I run it on an external drive to move between my laptop and net book, it's portable enough, just annoying
Aleyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis View Post
So It's not portable at all
It is definitely portable in the fact that you can run it from a USB drive without installing calibre on the local computer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portable, registry