Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kobo Vox
A Bug Catalogue

With Christmas fast approaching, it's appreciable that Kobo are trying their hardest to fix all the Voxes bugs. Obviously this is in our best interests too, so I thought to compile a catalogue of known bugs and their frequency amongst forumers to A) Gain insight about how common certain issues are and B) Provide a reference point for new users to know they're not alone. It'd be great if you could post any bugs you're getting, including ones already in the list, and whether or not you've rooted. Thanks!

Known bugs so far:

Wake From Sleep/'Sleep Death'
After being in sleep mode for any length of time, the Vox refuses to wake up. A hard reset is required to bring the Vox out of this state.
There are currently [7] Root units and [4] Regular units in this thread experiencing this problem.

Time Reset
After powering up, the Vox shows the time as 12:00AM, regardless of the actual time.
There are currently [4] Root units and [0] Regular units in this thread experiencing this problem.

Screen Orientation in Reader
While in the Kobo Reader app, the screen orientation will change automatically, even when this feature is disabled in the Vox's settings.
This bug affects everyone and is not spontaneous.

WiFi Toggle Drops
After using the WiFi toggle on the power widget, WiFi is patchy and does not always respond to toggling.
There are currently [6] Root units and [2] Regular units in this thread experiencing this problem.

Battery level misreported
The battery indicator gives the wrong reading on the Vox, reporting the same level until the Vox is restarted or the battery dies. Most users get this after charging and find that the only way to accurately charge the Vox's battery is to turn the unit off before charging.
There are currently [4] Root units and [1] Regular units in this thread experiencing this problem.

Internal/External Memory Cards Unmounting
If USB access is enabled, then the device is ejected via windows and then USB access is turned off on the Vox itself, the internal and external memory may become inaccessible. This is fixed by unmounting then remounting the memory cards from the settings, or rebooting.
This bug is global and affects all units.

Last edited by Darnielle; 12-17-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Darnielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
KoboJason
Kobo Vox Product Manager
KoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Hi Darnielle,

Thanks for compiling the list of known bugs. I greatly appreciate the passion you and the all the forum members have for improving the Vox.

The bugs you've outlined are aligned with the top priority defects we're aiming to address in a software update before the holidays. Not in your list, but a top defect we're tracking, is a problem affecting some users with the battery level not accurately reported to the OS.

If there are other bugs out there - let's use this thread to collect them.

Best,

Jason
Product Manager for Vox
KoboJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
zazou
zazou began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch; Kobo vox; Sony 350
hello,
I have the 'Sleep Death'
After being in sleep mode for any length of time, the Vox refuses to wake up. A hard reset is required to bring the Vox out of this state. This happen everytime that I turn off the wifi and the vox goes to sleep.

my vox is rooted

Last edited by zazou; 12-09-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: forgot to add the rooted status
zazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Two (rooted) Kobo Vox units here and both suffer from all the bugs mentioned above.

I own a Kobo Touch and the updates and support for this device is what made me go for the Kobo Vox.

Sorely disappointed with the Vox. At this time, I can't recommend it to anyone. I'm hopeful that the Kobo team will update the software to address these issues.

EDIT : Could this be stickied? This is ripe for a "Me too!" type thread and the post-count could go some way towards convincing the Kobo people that there's lots of us suffering from these problems.

Last edited by mike998; 12-09-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Requested a sticky.
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This is only one in a long string of threads all with the same purpose--keeping a running list of problems. Having one of them stickied makes sense--just not sure of it should be this one. I do like the title though. A lot.

Last edited by taming; 12-10-2011 at 08:40 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

@Jason: Glad to hear we're on Kobo's radar! It'd be a shame Kobo got a bad rep this christmas due to a few bugs that weren't noticed in time.

@taming: The problem with the other threads is that they're all threads someone made wanting help with a bug that attracted the attention of others with the bug, none of them are really statistical. That's what I'm trying to doing here, compile an organised and accessible list of bugs the Vox suffers from along with figures indicative of the bug's seriousness. If you've got suggestions, I'd happily take them though
Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
We are lucky to have you in the forum, Danielle. You can ask the mods to sticky it and see what happens.

From my POV, the only way it would be useful is if the OP would commit to keeping the first post current with the bugs that are in play. Without this, you will have hundreds and hundreds of repetitious postings and no easy to find indications when the issues have been resolved.

An example of this kind of thing is the discount code post on the Kobo main forum. The OP updates the first post regularly. The mods have refused repeated requests to sticky it, btw.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I have a regular, non-rooted Vox that has the sleep-of-death bug.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Darnielle
Enthusiast

Updated. Thanks!

I'll be keeping an eye on firmware updates and their changelogs; here's hoping the first post gets emptied by Christmas.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Rooted device here. Have all the problems listed above.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Rooted vox. Have sleep of death problem and have occasionally experienced the wifi toggle issue. Never had the time reset. Haven't noticed the battery issue but I generally power off my vox when charging so...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Non-rooted very vanilla Vox. I have Sleep of death and wifi toggle issues.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Non-rooted Vox with lots of extra apps installed. (Lookout, Aldiko, Astro, Sony Reader, Kindle, Overdrive, Opera, Dolphin, Flash, Dropbox, Droplets, and Angry Birds ) A solitaire game and Advanced Wifi Lock were installed and then removed. Sleep of death was intermittent before update, non-existent for 24 hours after the update, and then constant afterward unless wifi not permitted to sleep, ever. No problems with Wifi connecting. We get along fine as long as I leave the Wifi on and plugged into charger when I'm at home when in sleep mode, or Vox totally off unless I'm using it when away from home. Wifi on in sleep mode drains the battery.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I also have Office Suite Pro (trial) and Mantano reader installed.

Lots of stuff, eh?

Last edited by 49Kat; 12-12-2011 at 05:23 PM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
Have a rooted Vox here. Have sleep of death problem too. On Vox beta group. Oh I have the wifi toggle problem too.

For all of those thinking about returning or complaining about the Vox not ready for prime time. I have to say this device is a first generation device brought to market to compete with the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet. I know they are having issues too. The problems we all are facing are fixable and will be fixed quickly. Unfortunately market conditions make hardware manufacturers release products early in development cycle in order to compete with their competitors.

I know this seems unfair. My counter to that line of reasoning is they will fix these bugs quickly. And as the kobo team member in this thread said they are trying to fix it before the holidays. I am a firm believer that when you buy a brand new device from a relatively new manufacturer that you can expect the ocasional issue and unlike manufacturers like Apple don't have the financial resources or market conditions that allow them to spend 6 to 9 months bug fixing before releasing product.

Remember this is a competitive market that has had many failures that occurred due to late shipping of devices and not meeting user expectations. Can anyone say the device does not do what it advertises? It plays video. Its an excellent ereader. Battery life is not bad with wifi off. Yes it has a ton of bugs that interfere with the user experience. Yes they will be fixed. No i do not plan to return my device or send it in to get it repaired.

Well thats my 2 cents on the issue. Have a good holidays everyone.
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
BlackXinu
BlackXinu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Had a non-rooted device.

Sleep of death
Battery level issues
Wifi toggle was temperamental

Following this forum to see if issues get resolved.
BlackXinu is offline   Reply With Quote