Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2024, 11:55 AM   #31
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
And my initials come back to bite me again... PGA skin, P GAS KIN, PG ASK IN...

I should have done p-gaskin, patrickg, or literally anything else. grr
PGaskin, got it! Time to reset my brain...
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:42 PM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I list a lot of it here: https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch-patches/issues/128. It's not complete though; it's patch-oriented (plus some tolino stuff), and notably, it doesn't explicitly state most UI changes, nor does it look at minor behaviour changes.
For the purpose of updating Kobo Utilities: Are the setting names on the font (as appearing in the content_settings table of the database) the same as the display names? I'm particularly thinking of Atkinson Hyperlegible.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-15-2024 at 12:55 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2024, 01:26 PM   #33
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
For the purpose of updating Kobo Utilities: Are the setting names on the font (as appearing in the content_settings table of the database) the same as the display names? I'm particularly thinking of Atkinson Hyperlegible.
As far as I can see from mark11 fw its internal fontname is 'Atkinson Hyperlegible' and should appear on the drop-down menu and in content_settings as that. You can see for yourself if you extract the fonts from a download of either the mark11 or mark12 zip. Many of the new fonts are not "locked", or, at least, not so far.

Just one caveat (unless @geek1011 knows better) ... it's not yet clear to me whether the list of built-in fonts included in v4.39 mark11 & mark12 fw will be the same as the list in v4.39 mark4-mark10 fw. If the lists are different it would be a departure from what they've done in the past but they have made a change in Nickel CSS so that font-family names are (mainly) referred to by generic names. So where we used to see Georgia and Avenir in the CSS, it now says DefaultSerif and DefaultSansSerif. This could give them the flexibility of using different GUI system fonts for different models. The only font which is still referred to by its actual name is Bariol which is the single GUI system font for the new Tolino models (or maybe all Tolinos). The Bariol font is "locked". It's not clear whether it will be available to Kobos or just Tolinos.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-15-2024 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typo
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:24 PM   #34
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
As far as I can see from mark11 fw it's internal fontname is 'Atkinson Hyperlegible' and should appear on the drop-down menu and in content_settings as that. You can see for yourself if you extract the fonts from a download of either the mark11 or mark12 zip. Many of the new fonts are not "locked", or, at least, not so far.

Just one caveat (unless @geek1011 knows better) ... it's not yet clear to me whether the list of built-in fonts included in v4.39 mark11 & mark12 fw will be the same as the list in v4.39 mark4-mark10 fw. If the lists are different it would be a departure from what they've done in the past but they have made a change in Nickel CSS so that font-family names are (mainly) referred to by generic names. So where we used to see Georgia and Avenir in the CSS, it now says DefaultSerif and DefaultSansSerif. This could give them the flexibility of using different GUI system fonts for different models. The only font which is still referred to by its actual name is Bariol which is the single GUI system font for the new Tolino models (or maybe all Tolinos). The Bariol font is "locked". It's not clear whether it will be available to Kobos or just Tolinos.
That pretty much sums up what we know so far. There is a lot which goes into building the font list, so we won't know for certain until we actually test it. If there's something specific to figure out, I can probably do it statically, but it'd be too much work to produce a correct and complete list of what it'll look like for each device right now.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:42 PM   #35
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I posted an experimental beta of Kobo Utilities that ideally should enable the new fonts. Though the DefaultSerif and DefaultSansSerif kind of throws a wrench into everything, hence the 'experimental'.
Advert
Old 04-15-2024, 05:01 PM   #36
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Wow, if Kobo is going to remove Georgia entirely on older devices, too, then I'm either going to have to stay on 4.35 or start sideloading fonts. What a pain.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:14 PM   #37
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Wow, if Kobo is going to remove Georgia entirely on older devices, too, then I'm either going to have to stay on 4.35 or start sideloading fonts. What a pain.
I'm sad about the loss of Avenir.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:19 PM   #38
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never used any of Kobo's built-in fonts. I couldn't even tell you what they are if you asked, without looking at the settings. I've always used sideloaded fonts.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:31 PM   #39
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I posted an experimental beta of Kobo Utilities that ideally should enable the new fonts. Though the DefaultSerif and DefaultSansSerif kind of throws a wrench into everything, hence the 'experimental'.
There's no reason to assume (yet) that the pseudo-names, DefaultSerif and DefaultSansSerif, will be stored in the sqlite table you're talking about. My guess is that the value stored there will match the name you see when you select the font from the [Aa] drop-down menu. Until proved otherwise I'm guessing that the font-family selection list will show the "real" names.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 06:36 PM   #40
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Yeah. The tricky thing is that some of the internal names aren't exactly the same, e.g. 'KBJ-UDKakugo Pr6N M' for Kobo UD Kakugo.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:19 PM   #41
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
As is Google Drive.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:05 AM   #42
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Did Kobo update the RMSDK with this latest firmware?

The reason I'm asking is, that the Tolino EPUB reader, as bad as it is, supports many EPUB3 features that Kobos RMSDK reader doesn't. I'm wondering if they'll have an entirely different EPUB reader for Tolino, update their RMSDK or deliver KEPUBs to Tolino customers in the future.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:13 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Did Kobo update the RMSDK with this latest firmware?

The reason I'm asking is, that the Tolino EPUB reader, as bad as it is, supports many EPUB3 features that Kobos RMSDK reader doesn't. I'm wondering if they'll have an entirely different EPUB reader for Tolino, update their RMSDK or deliver KEPUBs to Tolino customers in the future.
Does it support. small-caps?

text-transform: small-caps;
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:49 AM   #44
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Do not install this firmware on older devices until I check some stuff. It looks like it may cause issues.
I've been away for a while from the patches scene...

Is there still a working patch for total Dark Mode?

If so, do you think it would work with this new firmware on the new Kobo Colour?

Sorry if I'm totally out of the loop.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:38 AM   #45
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Fortunately, side-loading fonts on a Kobo is super-easy.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release