Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
dkplayaclub
dkplayaclub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Question about hierarchical columns...

I decided it would be nice to have a custom column to view books based on awards won. A text column as tags didn't work so well but I found that making a hierarchical column and tagging in this format "Award Name.Winner -or- Nominee.year".
This actually works really great, but I am running into one small problem now. Some books have won multiple awards, but I can't seem to find a way to tag them with multiple tags in the hierarchical structure. Is this maybe something to do with the columns "made from other columns"?
dkplayaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A tag-like column can be hierarchical. That will allow you to put multiple hierarchical values into a single field.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
dkplayaclub

Can you explain this more? I was not able to make a tag column that is also hierarchical. Where is the option I am missing?
Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
dkplayaclub

This is the exact guide I used to set up the column I am trying to use now. Like I said, I must be missing something. I can make my tags in an orderly tree, but I cannot make them fall onto two spaces on that tree.
For example, "Dune" by Frank Herbert won both the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award in 1966. I currently have "Nebula Award.Best Novel.Winner.1966" in my custom column. In the hierarchy, I want this book to also show in the tree as if it were also tagged "Hugo Award.Best Novel.Winner.1966", but I can't get that to work. Separating terms doesn't seem to work with a comma or any other separator I've tried. It just changes the last branch of the hierarchy and creates it's own branch.
Does that make sense?
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No, it doesn't make sense.

What is the exact text you are trying in the "#awards" field of type "Comma-separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser"?

It should be:
Code:
Hugo Award.Best Novel.Winner.1966, Nebula Award.Best Novel.Winner.1966
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
dkplayaclub

I would also think that should work, but it doesn't. If I input exactly "Hugo Award.Best Novel.Winner.1966, Nebula Award.Best Novel.Winner.1966" into the field I get a tree like this "Hugo Award ---> Best Novel ---> Winner ---> 1996, Nebula Award ---> Best Novel ---> Winner ---> 1996"
Not sure why, but as I said the separators don't seem to work. It only sees breaks in one tree and only at the periods.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, so that is what you meant by "It just changes the last branch of the hierarchy and creates it's own branch" (I didn't really know what you meant by that).

I guess despite your protests you are, in fact, NOT actually using a column of type "Comma-separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser". Fix that.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
dkplayaclub

Which brings me back to my original issue. Columns of type "Comma-separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser" don't work either, unless I'm missing something. I would end up with a separate tag for every book.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Wait, so you actually know perfectly well that you are using the wrong type of column and yet you still think it should work anyway?

I give up. You don't want to try the one thing that every other person in this thread has told you to use -- deriving directly from the authoritative manual -- and apparently nothing I say can convince you.

I shan't bother anymore, then.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
dkplayaclub

I think the problem must be that what I want to do is not possible. If not that, I am just failing to communicate exactly what I need.
In a "Comma-separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser" type column I can not get a tree which is what I want. Are you telling me that I CAN do that?
When using the other type of column, I am unable to fit any one book into multiple spots.
I appreciate the patience, but I'm not using the "wrong kind" of column. I have said that I've tried both and cannot get the behavior I want from either.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I am telling you that according to the manual you can do that, and my experience matches the manual.

Quite simply, a Comma-separated text, like tags column will by definition ALWAYS split on commas, as the definition implies.
And a hierarchical column will ALWAYS create hierarchy subgroups splitting on periods.

And you have said that your copy of calibre is not doing so, although you have not said that the behavior when you try is the same behavior as the expected behavior when you use the wrong column type (as I explained in the previous two posts)... so for all I know your problem when (claim) you use the correct column type may be something completely different, which you have not told us about and we therefore cannot be expected to help with.

Of course, it is possible, though highly unlikely, that you are running a copy of calibre that has been sneakily modified for the express purpose of NOT doing so, and thereby confusing you... but failing that you are simply mistaken.

Would it help if I gave you a picture of me doing the thing you just told me is impossible?

One book. One column, of type "Comma-separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser, listed in Preferences as being hierarchical. Two comma-separated tags, as specified above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hierarchical-tags.png
Views:	127
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	149735  

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-27-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
eschwartz has beaten me but...

Sorry, but I think you're missing something. I've got a hierarchical column, themes, which type is "Comma-separated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser", and I have a nice tree as Animal.Dog.Clinic., and more than one value. But I've define this column as a category with hierarchical elements at Preferences -> Look and Feel -> Tag Browser.

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-27-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: BR - add Look and Feel
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
dkplayaclub

You are right to be frustrated. Now that I've figured it out, I feel rather foolish.
Though it was working in my original column, I forgot to set the option for tag browser on the new columns I was creating.
Thank you for having the patience to stick it out with me. Once again, Calibre is more than capable of what I am trying to do and I'm just messing up.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Next time, when the creator of calibre and multiple experienced users tell you that something is possible and refuse to back down from their belief that it is possible, double-check that you aren't making a mistake somewhere. It really is the most probable explanation.
Especially since everyone makes mistakes. When in doubt, double-check your work!

Glad to see you finally figured it out and got it working.