Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
BlueEyedC
BlueEyedC began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini
Reading offline using Overdrive REad

I download e-books from my library and use Overdrive Read to read them on my iPad mini. You're supposed to be able to read the ebook offline by saving an icon to your "home page" or "desktop" (not sure what it's called on the iPad!). I've done this, and sometimes it works fine, but sometimes I have to connect in order to read the same book which the day before I was able to read offline. Any advice?
BlueEyedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Post only in the correct forum, please.

Take the time now to look over our site.

Your thread has been moved to the Apple Devices forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedC View Post
I download e-books from my library and use Overdrive Read to read them on my iPad mini. You're supposed to be able to read the ebook offline by saving an icon to your "home page" or "desktop" (not sure what it's called on the iPad!). I've done this, and sometimes it works fine, but sometimes I have to connect in order to read the same book which the day before I was able to read offline. Any advice?
I think when you're choosing your format after you check the book out, you are choosing to read within the browser? In that case, I believe you would have to be online to read your book. I always choose to download the book in epub and use my Overdrive app to read it. Then it works whether you are online or not. I can only speak for epubs, I haven't tried doing anything with the Kindle formats yet. Since I do have the Overdrive app, I don't know what would happen if I chose to download the epub without the app, if I would be presented with the option to use another one of my apps. (I have several reading apps on my iPad.)
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
carmen2014
carmen2014 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Most people don't want the wifi when out and about given the battery suck for no good reason. I'd like to download epub or pdfs but find Adobe Digital Editions an extra intrusion. I'd prefer to save my reading newsletters etc for offline via Overdrive for Kobo Vox. Any suggestions from anyone who has a simple easy fast way. I'd also like to add graphics via Adobe to do that.
carmen2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Bluefire Reader has a support article on how to use ADE to get library books into that app, via ADE. Might be useful?

http://www.bluefirereader.com/using-library-books.html
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert