Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight, Calibre, Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8
Request: Tips and Tricks

I would like to request a "Tips and Tricks for New Users" thread, maybe even a sticky.

While it is not unaccessible the information about Calibre is quite dense and technical, and thats natural since obviously development is at full throttle. Which is great!

However, it takes a bit of time and effort to get in to it for a new inexperienced user, especially if you are new to e-books in general.

What I would like to see is *not* a tutorial on how to do things, because I get the impression that that is all covered, but rather a *really* brief list on what you can do, possibly with links for further exploration:

Really nice hints of what do with and around Calibre, and the *best* way to do it:

* Handle custom RSS:
- Save a web page and send it to Calibre. (Instapaper for example)
- Monitor a web page and send it to Calibre (google alerts for example).
- Send your email to Calibre (Gmail Forward (labels)+Email to RSS Forwarding for example).

* Set up a cloud storage.

* Smooth way of managing books (import folder, other library folders)

* Good to think about when using devices.

* Other smart and fun ways to operate Calibre.

---

In any case, I would appreciate to get advices on cloud storage and the RSS handling described above.

Thanks!

N.
nlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlundberg View Post

Really nice hints of what do with and around Calibre, and the *best* way to do it:

---

In any case, I would appreciate to get advices on cloud storage and the RSS handling described above.

Thanks!

N.
Ask 100 people on how to do it +best+ and you will get 101 different answers (there is always 1 who can't choose only 1 )

Stay far away from Googles cloud service as it mangles filenames, which then destroys intenal linkages). IMHO clouds are good for backups, but contrary to common usage, should not be RUN from the cloud. Things always go BUMP on the Internet.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight, Calibre, Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8
Of course, "best" is not right word. The least messed up way might be better.

Your cloud advice, thanks. So apart from Google Drive, many use cloud storage to hold their main library?
nlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
madelonw
Enthusiast
madelonw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle with Special Offers, iPad 2
I too would like a nice tips and tricks thread. I am not new to ebooks, and I'm finding Calibre pretty easy to use, in general, but I have a few questions I would like to post somewhere specific to newbies. First and foremost, I would like to know if I can have more than one Calibre Library and can I toggle between them easily from within the program? I have collected a number of ebooks I will never read, but my kids and their friends might. I would like to have an I'll Never Read These Library.
madelonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by madelonw View Post
I too would like a nice tips and tricks thread. I am not new to ebooks, and I'm finding Calibre pretty easy to use, in general, but I have a few questions I would like to post somewhere specific to newbies. First and foremost, I would like to know if I can have more than one Calibre Library and can I toggle between them easily from within the program? I have collected a number of ebooks I will never read, but my kids and their friends might. I would like to have an I'll Never Read These Library.
You can have as many Libraries as your drives will hold.

Right-click Library Icon: Create/Switch is the way to use them: The last N used show on the Quick switch list.

Managing a huge number may be difficult unless you are organzied with a easy definition of what goes into each. eg Fiction, Non-Fiction (general), (non-Fiction) Specific_Subject.

But Why (other than access limiting)?
Using Tags and Filters will usually allow most to exisst in a combined Library. (There are custom Column, structural reasons for separate Libraries)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Or plugins: in Reading List, books can just be added on the list without any changes in Calibre fields, or with changes. View Manager allows you to see different set of columns and can be limited to show a saved search.

One library is easier to search and keep in order.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
madelonw
Enthusiast

The why is easy... see above about the 100 ways to do a thing. We all have our database quirks. And thanks for the tip about the libraries
Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
madelonw
Enthusiast

OK, so creating a Library is easy. Now is there also an easy way to move books from one library to another?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Yes !

Spoiler:

OH you want to know how!

Select the books in the library display, right click, select "copy to library" and then the destination library and whether to copy, or copy and delete.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See ===>>> "Where are the book files stored?" in "Library Management" in "Frequently Asked Questions" in the calibre User Manual

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote