Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #811
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Friends, please can someone put correct files and instructions on the OP?
Im quite lost here how to install and apply night mode on my KA1 and how to turn it on/off. there is too much confusion here about the new and old firmware, new and old devices and so on...
Im sorry for bothering...
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #812
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
Friends, please can someone put correct files and instructions on the OP?
Im quite lost here how to install and apply night mode on my KA1 and how to turn it on/off. there is too much confusion here about the new and old firmware, new and old devices and so on...
Im sorry for bothering...
Since KevinShort who posted the original message in this thread has not been around for a year now, it's going to take moderator level rights.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #813
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've said it before and will say it again.

WIKI

Please could some one take initiative and create a wiki page for this

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #814
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As mentioned, the configuration file uses some of the settings for the brightness slider to trigger night mode. The defaults in the nightmode.ini file are
11% = toggleNightMode,
12% = enableNightMode,
13% = disableNightMode.

Timeisart changed the 11% to 3% to toggle nightmode. Basically change the brightness level to 11% and wait for 7 or so seconds and nightmode will toggle. Ditto with 12% and 13% for the on/off. You might want to double check that you have the newest version from gtalusan's github page. The link today was kobo-nightmode_build13.zip.

[...]

To install nightmode, copy the koboroot.tgz file from the installer directory in the .zip file to the .kobo directory, safe eject and watch your Clara restart and install. Once it is installed, you can edit the nightmode.ini file in the .kobo directory to change the options.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true
Many thanks, DNSB !
It is working like a charm on my Kobo Clara HD.

I did not need to force inverted mode in nightmode.ini; simply setting the brightness level to 11% toggles Night Mode on/off.

I really think that Kobo should have included this on the firmware since this hack was first created. This is one the the greatest hacks for the Kobo ereader. Thanks to the people that have created and maintained it!
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #815
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbug View Post
Many thanks, DNSB !
It is working like a charm on my Kobo Clara HD.

I did not need to force inverted mode in nightmode.ini; simply setting the brightness level to 11% toggles Night Mode on/off.

I really think that Kobo should have included this on the firmware since this hack was first created. This is one the the greatest hacks for the Kobo ereader. Thanks to the people that have created and maintained it!

Could you take a picture of night mode on the Clara HD?
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #816
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Just do the config file change that DNSB mentioned above. It will start the device in night mode but there is no way to turn it off except to edit the file. If you don't like it, take it out. If you do like it, you can decide whether to stick with the option or try the hack. Whichever you use, the effect is the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #817
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Kobo Night Mode

Quote:

Light at 3% and full "yellow", photos taken in darkness, once with flash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8993.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	165496

Name:	IMG_8997.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	553.5 KB
ID:	165497

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 08-08-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #818
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As mentioned, the configuration file uses some of the settings for the brightness slider to trigger night mode. The defaults in the nightmode.ini file are 11% = toggleNightMode, 12% = enableNightMode, 13% = disableNightMode. Timeisart changed the 11% to 3% to toggle nightmode. Basically change the brightness level to 11% and wait for 7 or so seconds and nightmode will toggle. Ditto with 12% and 13% for the on/off. You might want to double check that you have the newest version from gtalusan's github page. The link today was kobo-nightmode_build13.zip.

I haven't tried this on an Clara since I don't own one but on an Aura One, you still need to force inverted mode in nightmode.ini, the toggles don't seem to work. At one point, this was explained as to how the Aura One handled the brightness levels due to ComfortLight Pro and the auto control. If I'm going to force inverted mode, I might as well just edit Kobo eReader.conf to add the invert setting there.

To install nightmode, copy the koboroot.tgz file from the installer directory in the .zip file to the .kobo directory, safe eject and watch your Clara restart and install. Once it is installed, you can edit the nightmode.ini file in the .kobo directory to change the options.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true
So if i understand this right, installing night mode on KA1 means that i should connect kobo to my, PC, turn it on in ini file, use it, when i don't want to use night mode, i should again connect to pc to turn it off in ini file?
There is no other way?
or the hack works on 4.9.11311 firmware?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #819
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
So if i understand this right, installing night mode on KA1 means that i should connect kobo to my, PC, turn it on in ini file, use it, when i don't want to use night mode, i should again connect to pc to turn it off in ini file?
There is no other way?
or the hack works on 4.9.11311 firmware?
More or less correct. Using the night mode patch, you would need to edit the .ini file to enable/disable night mode so just as easy to edit the Kobo eReader.conf file. I think I already mentioned having been told this is due to the way the KA1 and it's ComfortLight Pro and automatic light control differs from the other Kobo models so the light value settings do not work to toggle night mode.

I still keep hoping that Kobo will offer this as an option in the settings.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #820
forster01
Groupie

Thanx, so i will wait kobo to implement it in the firmware. (seems we will wait indefinitely)

Thanks, and sorry if i sounded anxious cause i didn't understand that clearly.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #821
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anybody know...

I have my .ini file set to force screen refresh every 99 pages: there's lots of ghosting of course, but I don't see this in the dark, so I'd prefer to get a the least amount of fun bright flashes in my face when the screen refreshes. Instead, if I do see ghosting, I want to manually refresh the screen, for instance, by bringing up the menu (with my eyes closed).

However, there is no screen refresh when bringing up the menu when in night mode! Nor does the screen refresh when I go back to the home screen... I really have to wait 99 page turns? I don't see any settings in the .ini file referring to non-page turn related screen refreshes...

Any idea how come the other screen refresh triggers aren't working and/or how I could make them work again?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #822
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
However, there is no screen refresh when bringing up the menu when in night mode! Nor does the screen refresh when I go back to the home screen...
I've only recently installed Night Mode (on ClaraHD) but I'm not having any problem forcing a page refresh if required.

If I tap the middle of the screen to bring up the header/footer menus there is no refresh but there is a refresh when I tap again to close the menus. There is also a refresh if I select Home from the top left menu.

I just checked my nightmode.ini file. I have refreshScreenPages set to zero.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #823
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've only recently installed Night Mode (on ClaraHD) but I'm not having any problem forcing a page refresh if required.

If I tap the middle of the screen to bring up the header/footer menus there is no refresh but there is a refresh when I tap again to close the menus. There is also a refresh if I select Home from the top left menu.

I just checked my nightmode.ini file. I have refreshScreenPages set to zero.
Thank you for that. Very strange. I've just tried the refresh triggers for several different refreshScreenPages values... if I have it set to zero (which I think follows the regular screen refresh setting) then yes, the refresh works upon closing the menu, navigating to home, etc, everywhere you'd expect it. But anything other than zero and nope, no manual refresh triggers to be found... Eh?

I'm also on Clara HD, running 4.9.11311

EDIT: Hmm, it's like the "refreshScreenPages" overrides all screen refresh options instead of only the regular number of pages set in reading settings

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 08-10-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #824
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Here's a picture of my Kobo Clara HD sporting Night Mode:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180814.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	927.9 KB
ID:	165596  
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #825
Minaru
Minaru began at the beginning.

nightmode toggle

Hey there,
I got a little problem. I'm able to invert my Kobo (Aura Edition 2) without problems but only while modifying nightmode.ini. Below I have a picture from my ini. I have the newest update installed (4.9.11311) and got this installer.
I would appreciate some help. I only got my Kobo today, but I'm used to read in nightmode on my tablet This "mod" was one reason to buy a kobo.

Greetings!
Minaru
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (58).png
Views:	369
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	165610  
Minaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch