Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Kobo Night Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoq View Post
Nightmode for Kobo
Read light-on-dark on your Kobo AuraHD / Aura / Glo / Touch or Mini!

Installation / Removal
  • Download the attached zip file
  • Connect your Kobo to your computer
  • Extract the file KoboRoot.tgz from the installer / uninstaller folder
  • Copy it to the .kobo folder on your device
  • Safely remove the USB storage and unplug
  • Your device will reboot automatically

Control nightmode
There are two ways to control this mod:
  • Long-press the LIGHT/HOME button to toggle on/off
  • Use a launcher to start the nightmode.sh script:
    • KoboLauncher: Add:
      Night Mode = /mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh
      to .kobo/KoboLauncher/kobo_launcher.ini
    • or KoboTweaks: (not working on 2.6+) Add:
      Night Mode=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh\")
      to .kobo/kobotewaks.ini

Configuration
In your .kobo folder, there will be a configuration file called nightmode.ini. You can change whether the state should be retained over a restart of the device, the default state after power up and the duration for a long press. The new setting will take effect after a restart.

FAQ
  • I have updated my firmware and it stopped working!
    Simply install the mod again
  • Will this drain my battery?
    The effect on battery life should be negligible
  • I can see more ghosting when the mod is activated!
    This is normal, as eInk screens are optimized for black-on-white mode. Change the refresh rate if it annoys you.

More info
For a more detailed description, the changelog and the source code, visit github:
http://dbeinder.github.io/kobo-nightmode

Credits
  • KevinShort, for the idea and a first proof of concept
  • Nicolas Devillard and others, for the iniParser library
This hack works on the Aura HD, Aura, Glo, Touch, and Mini.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo-nightmode_build13.zip (13.8 KB, 7439 views)

Last edited by KevinShort; 07-13-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Update to build 13
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Is there no "patch" on Kobo?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-03-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Is there not "patch" on Kobo?
I'm afraid I don't understand, what do you mean?
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Tiburscyo
Tiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2

for me works fine!
No problems in the transition of pages or reboot

once again, thanks KevinShort
Tiburscyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #5
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Well you're right... :-P I mean the unix program
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
Here's a new hack that will hopefully benefit some people (I know I use it!).

A little while back I release a very hacky white on black display mode for the Glo. Not long after, yoq put together a much nicer version of the hack, which you can download here.

Installation - for firmware version 2.5.1 ONLY!

A word of caution: This hack could potentially cause your Glo to not boot. If that happens, a factory reset (hold the light button while turning on the device) should resolve any issues. Also, this installer is specifically for firmware 2.5.1. It may or may not work on other versions.

You'll need to install the Kobo Tweaks plugin and create a new file named "kobotweaks.ini" in the .kobo folder on your Glo. Put these lines in kobotweaks.ini:
Code:
[Global]
compatFirmware=2.5.1

[CustomCommands]
Toggle Night Mode=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh\")
Download "gloNightMode.zip", below. Extract it and put the KoboRoot.tgz file in the .kobo folder on your Glo. After your Glo reboots, open the Library to activate the plugin, then go back to the home screen. Under the "Tools" menu you can now select "Toggle Night Mode" to turn the hack on and off.
Kevin, this looks brilliant - and indeed I guess it would be even more useful for non lit devices - is there any chance it could work on the Mini: if there is, I am happy to play guinea pig!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Thank you yoq and KevinShort for your impressive work!

Yoq, may I ask you if you could set the resolution values depending on the respective device (800x600, 1024x758, 1024x768, 1440x1080), if you find the time. For establishing the device one could maybe follow the model used in /bin/kobo_config.sh.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
tapioco2000
tapioco2000 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
KevinShort, you are my new hero!

It works like a charm!

Last edited by tapioco2000; 05-03-2013 at 05:45 AM.
tapioco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you yoq and KevinShort for your impressive work!

Yoq, may I ask you if you could set the resolution values depending on the respective device (800x600, 1024x758, 1024x768, 1440x1080), if you find the time. For establishing the device one could maybe follow the model used in /bin/kobo_config.sh.
That should be possible, I just have a Glo here though, so you'll have to be my tester on other models
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That should be possible, I just have a Glo here though, so you'll have to be my tester on other models
Thank you for the quick response. I can try on my Touch.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you for the quick response. I can try on my Touch.
and I will definitely try on my Mini
Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Ok, it should now read the actual resolution on startup and should work on the Touch and the Mini. Just replace screenInv.so and reboot.
If it doesn't refresh properly, send me the content of /tmp/screenInvertLog this might help me find the bug.
Attached Files
File Type: zip screenInv_build2.zip (6.6 KB, 1368 views)
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Ok, it should now read the actual resolution on startup and should work on the Touch and the Mini. Just replace screenInv.so and reboot.
If it doesn't refresh properly, send me the content of /tmp/screenInvertLog this might help me find the bug.
Thank you very much for the great program. Works nicely on the Touch. On a side note, I am still on FW 2.4.0.

As for the log file, it might perhaps be more convenient to have it on the user partition.

Last edited by tshering; 05-03-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
paola
Wizard

Quote:
sorry, as a non-techie: do I just ignore Kevinshort's file, or do I first have to intall his and then replace his screenInv.so with yours?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Anyone tried this on the Aura?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch