Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
jennaclaire
Enthusiast
jennaclaire began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
LIBPRS500... am I doing something wrong?

So I now have all my ebooks in libprs500. I uninstalled and updated the new version last night. So far so good. I have the books there but most are in pdf format, so in order to update the metadata, I am trying to view them to get the authors names, etc. So I click on the convert button, use the defaults (cause they seemed right) and conversion runs fine. I click on View to see how it looks and I discover that there is what looks almost like a license code string every other page or so, that is designating a page break. Its not even where page breaks would normally occur... sometimes its at the 3rd sentence of a page in the middle of a sentence and then there is that license code string and the sentence resumes on the next page. The license number appears to be the same each time. It is happening to all the books I convert, not just one.

So... have I done something wrong in the process? selected a wrong option? I searched here to find others having this issue hoping there was an obvious fix, but I haven't seen a thread like this before.

Kovid or anyone else with some expertise... any thoughts?
jennaclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Have they worked before? These files?

It may be the pdf's themselves, something about them Lbrprs just doesn't like. I've gotten some strange things out of conversion software before - it's almost always the files going in.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

I ruled that out too by trying the conversion on a book I had already converted from PDF before... and it worked fine using the PDFLRF app. But, yes... that too was something I thought of, so I wanted to try it on a book I knew had successfully converted before.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
libprs500 extracts the text from PDFs, PDFLRF renders the PDFs to images. For more complex PDFs, PDFLRF will give you better results. For simpler, text based PDFs libprs500 will give you more satisfying results. The problems you describe are likely a result of the structure of the PDF files themselves.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
jennaclaire
Enthusiast

Ok, makes sense. Where is the LRF converted version stored now so I can nuke it before i get all confused?

Oh and Kovid, for whatever reason now the new release appears to have fixed the issue with the economist. yea!
Advert
Old 01-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the web2lrf subsystem had a bit of work. The LRF files (all files really) are stored in the database, so no danger of getting them confused.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote