Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
yangin0
yangin0 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Help...Korean Font Not showing up on new Kindle DX

My Korean files just show up with question marks and squares, titles and contents. I have tried putting txt file in there, tried doc to email conversion. I've tried putting UTF-8 txt file also, no luck. now I am trying to sent UTF-8 txt to email, even email conversion stopped working all together...no email coming to me. Customer service tell me that kindle just don't convert some formats, and they wouldn't give any solution. I want to kill them?
Can you guys help me out? I see that there are a lot of ppl viewing korean without problem on their kindle...it can't be this hard.
yangin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
DX does not officially support scripts that are not based on Latin or Greek. There is a hack that allows you to replace the default font with one that has broader Unicode support, including Korean.

Even K3, which does nominally/officially support display of Korean script, may have some issues based on messages I've seen. It remains to be seen whether Amazon will provide an update to DX users to add K3's font support.

Without hacking, the only way of viewing Korean text on a DX is to convert your content to PDF.

Note that in any case, there is no means of inputting Korean text for search or annotation purposes.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
yangin0
yangin0 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Thank you very much for your reply. I spend over 2 hours fighting customer service and now finally they told me that DX has no support for korean characters. Thanks to you, I at least know there is a hack so I'm gonna look for it.
yangin0 is offline   Reply With Quote