Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #16
medric
medric began at the beginning.

Device: none
building a calibre install package x86

okay i want to create a package that can be installed into synology any thoughts on how to to start I think with an x86 with 16 gigs of ram and an quad core it should have a working package no docker needed and manged using the built in apache web server
medric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What is wrong with the existing official i686 build available on the calibre website?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #18
abarthch
abarthch began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, PW3 & KV
There's a Docker image for runnning Calibre +GUI on NAS. There's also instructions for running it on a Synology but I haven't tried it yet. I personally have no experience with running docker images on my Syno (except the Syno images), so I'm basically waiting for someone to write a more dummy-friendly tutorial.
abarthch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #19
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by abarthch View Post
There's a Docker image for runnning Calibre +GUI on NAS. There's also instructions for running it on a Synology but I haven't tried it yet. I personally have no experience with running docker images on my Syno (except the Syno images), so I'm basically waiting for someone to write a more dummy-friendly tutorial.
Tutorial for Linux X86 NAS (Direct Install, not Docker Image)

1. Visit http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

1. Under the heading Binary Install you will see some code to cut and paste. As of today that is:

Code:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
3. Copy that code.

4. Using ssh login to your NAS. Paste the copied code to the command line, press enter, and follow any prompts. Take note of the installation directories for later troubleshooting, though the script will normally install in /opt.

5. Calibre should now be installed. You can start calibre-server and manage your library with calibredb etc. Refer to the Calibre manual and Linux man pages for help.

And if you detect an element of frustration in this post, you are right. If you have an X86 NAS running some variation of Linux the first and logical starting point is to use the normal Calibre install process for X86 Linux. Instead we get talk of packages and Docker Images and the like. Yet it seems no one has tried the simple install script, or if they have they haven't reported back. Even if the install script fails it will almost certainly be easier and quicker to debug the script on your particular NAS than to follow the other approaches suggested.

If you have an arm NAS, then you need to either find a package suitable for your NAS, which I understand is unlikely at the moment, or build from source, which is not ideal but should not pose a significant challenge for anyone with a little experience in Linux and compiling and installing software on it. I for one don't intend contributing further to this thread, at least so far as the x86 architecture is concerned, without someone at least trying and reporting on the use of the basic install script.

Last edited by darryl; 03-28-2016 at 09:44 AM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote