Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Timmie
Timmie began at the beginning.

Device: non
Question from new User

Hello,
I have discovered Calibre yesterday and it looks like the thing I was searching for to manage my ebooks. I will still kepp using JabRef for research paers for a while.

Nevertheless, I got soem questions. Already checked against the FAQ.

Here goes:

* high load on hdd: When starting the program, it imposes such a high load onmy drive that it makes other programs stop working (Ubuntu 10.4). Why does this happen?
* how do I export metadata in BibTex format? This was mentioned in the changelog.
* why does deleting /opt/calibre only remove 99% of files?
where is the rest?
* How do I perform a proper install on Linux?

Thanks in advance for answering these questions.

Best regards.
Timmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Can't answer the BibTex question, but I might be able to help a bit with the others. I'm running Xubuntu 10.4.

High load on HDD: is it the drive that's the issue, or CPU/Memory load? On my last computer I had an issue with Calibre creating too many threads for my processor, causing freezing and overheating.

There are settings in Preferences|Advanced|Miscellaneous called Maximum number of waiting worker processes (needs restart) and Limit the max. simultaneous jobs to the available CPU cores. I set the first to "2" and I have the second one ticked. Coupled with recent performance improvements, both of those have made Calibre much more friendly. I still find it responsive, but it doesn't thrash either my CPU or HD.

Install questions: To install (and update) Calibre, I use the code from its website. I made a simple script and stored it in my /home/USERNAME/bin folder (I called it calibre-update.) Now, whenever I want to reinstall or update, I just type sudo calibre-update into a terminal and answer the single question it asks by hitting the enter key. It installs pretty cleanly into the /opt directory, but I could tell it to install anywhere else I might like.

99% of files: That's not a system install, using a DEB file, but with the frequency of Calibre updates, you would be severely out-of-date trying to go that route. To work properly with the system, some files have to be created in other directories, eg: /usr/bin/calibre etc.

I seem to recall that there is an uninstall script floating around somewhere, but ... found it!

Hope that helps somewhat.

EDIT: there's also a calibre-uninstall command placed in /usr/bin -- I just found it, after reading the thread I linked to and trying locate calibre. I've obviously never used it, but it looks like it does the business. So, between the install script and the uninstall script, you would probably be just fine without a proper DEB.

Last edited by capidamonte; 08-15-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Larnin' stuff!
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
click the arrow next to convert and choose create catalog to create a bibtex catalog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote