Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
An Inexpensive Case Idea ...

A day after getting my Kobo ... I decided I needed a protective case for it ... and the $30 leather one at Chapters/Indigo just didn't fit the bill ...

So ... I thought I'd share what I came up with.

I went to Staples and for $10 got a small "portfolio" that came with a pad of paper, some pockets etc.

I like to have paper handy when I read ... to jot down whatever ... but the pad slipped into a pocket on the right hand side of the portfolio ... and that's where I wanted the reader to "live" ... so I slipped the pad out of the pocket ... and put it under the flap on the left hand side. Next I glued some of that "non-slip" stuff you get at the $ store onto the outside of the right-hand side pocket. This keeps the reader from slipping while reading it.

When I'm not reading it, the Kobo slips nicely into the pocket [originally intended for the pad of paper] ...

There's also a pocket on the outside ... onto which my handy little book light clips/fits nicely.

So ... for $11 Cdn ... I've got a portfolio that zips up ... fits in even my smaller purse ... and can go with me anywhere.

Hope this helps someone else ...

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
A sheet of thin but hard plastic or acrylic from a DIY shop slipped into the pockets will give you an even higher level of protection from impact, not take up any room, and cost about a buck!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Great idea! That would provide a stiffer surface for the book light as well.

The portfolio is pretty padded ... but I like the idea of additional support.

Mary
Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
I tried something like this originally for my Kobo, BUT one day I picked up the case without doing up the zipper on the case and the Kobo slipped out and landed on a concrete floor and cracked the case! I was not very happy. I'd suggest that you use velcro or some other system to "fix" the K on the case so this doesn't happen to you.

I've since spent the $30 for the I-Nique (sp?) Tough Luv case which I do Luv as it protects the K and can be proped up for tabletop reading as well.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Nice! I've been looking for a good Kobo case, and don't care for the $30 leather sleeve. I'll head over to Staples and pick up one of these puppies.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
If you want sleek and small - don't forget the DVD case mod - just get your Dremel tool out (or single-edged razor blade) and cut out all the raised projections on the right side. Make a custom DVD insert, and, VIOLA!, a sleek, form-fitting Kobo case.

NOT my original thought - It was mentioned here a couple months ago!

I like this Staples "organizer" case, too ... I now cruise the aisles at STaples looking at cases and such differently (grin).
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
If you want sleek and small - don't forget the DVD case mod - just get your Dremel tool out (or single-edged razor blade) and cut out all the raised projections on the right side. Make a custom DVD insert, and, VIOLA!, a sleek, form-fitting Kobo case.
Why don't you post pictures of your cover? You might take the best of them,
tar and gzip it and let us stay speechless.
Since you are on the mac, it has command line and some version of bsd.
tar czvf etc.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Since you are on the mac ...

My life has been more peaceful and productive than ever before using that other OS since it was introduced in late 1985.

Zoran, can you view .jpg files? If not, I'll mail you these four photographs of my Kobo DVD Case Case to peruse ...

http://gallery.me.com/clintbradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post

Zoran, can you view .jpg files? If not, I'll mail you these four photographs of my Kobo DVD Case Case to peruse ...

http://gallery.me.com/clintbradford
Yep! Have seen them. Thanks.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

hpjrt, thanks for the recommendation. I bought the exact same case. I always carry around pens and notes with my Kobo anyway, so this works great.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
hpjrt
Connoisseur

Glad that

(A) I am not the only person who likes to tote around pens & paper "just in case" with their Kobo

and

(B) That my idea was useful to someone else!

Mary
Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
DArenson
ebookworm

Yeah, mine is exactly the same one -- At-A-Glance. I often take notes as I read, especially if I'm reading my own manuscripts. So this is the perfect case for me -- fits the Kobo like a glove, and I get a little notebook and pen holder. I even use the flash drive pocket, since I always carry around a little USB drive anyway.

So much nicer than the overpriced sleeves they sell at Indigo!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
Quote:
Next I glued some of that "non-slip" stuff you get at the $ store onto the outside of the right-hand side pocket. This keeps the reader from slipping while reading it.
Sorry I'm slow sometimes, can you expand on that? I'm not getting what's holding the kobo in place when you're reading with the case open.
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
It's 'Anti-Slip Mat'. It looks woven, but feels like rubber. I first saw it on an ocean ferry, in little squares under the salt and pepper shakers, to make them stay put as the boat rolled. I picked up a roll at Walmart, or maybe Canadian Tire. Keeps things steady on my car's dashboard...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
So that's just kind of keeping it in place right? As in, if you only held it by the spine of the case and tilted the wrong way, the reader would fall out?

Maybe some velcro on the reader and the case instead? I'd like it to be securely held if I instead held the case and not have to hold the case and the reader.
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote