Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
indio192
indio192 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Aluratek Libre Problem with TXT files

Recently received my Aluratek Libre Pro. Have problems with TXT files. The first time I try to open a TXT file one of several things may happen.

1. The FBreader description page appears.

2. The text from the most recently opened book appears.

3. The file opens correctly (this only happens on the second attempt to open a TXT file).

I have contacted Aluratek support. They were very responsive and sent me a new version of the firmware; however, it did not fix my problem. I responded back to them that it did not work. I have not heard from them since May 18.

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

My software version is v17. Note that the support web site only has version 15 available. (No, you cannot downgrade the Aluratek firmware to a previous version - I tried).

Just as a note, my wife received her Aluratek yesterday from Sears (got it $99). It has software v15 and works just fine with TXT files.

This problem is minor. The Aluratek is a great buy. Both my wife and I enjoy the form factor, how it operates, etc. I highly recommend it.

jim
indio192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio192 View Post
Recently received my Aluratek Libre Pro. Have problems with TXT files. The first time I try to open a TXT file one of several things may happen.

1. The FBreader description page appears.

2. The text from the most recently opened book appears.

3. The file opens correctly (this only happens on the second attempt to open a TXT file).

I have contacted Aluratek support. They were very responsive and sent me a new version of the firmware; however, it did not fix my problem. I responded back to them that it did not work. I have not heard from them since May 18.

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

My software version is v17. Note that the support web site only has version 15 available. (No, you cannot downgrade the Aluratek firmware to a previous version - I tried).

Just as a note, my wife received her Aluratek yesterday from Sears (got it $99). It has software v15 and works just fine with TXT files.

This problem is minor. The Aluratek is a great buy. Both my wife and I enjoy the form factor, how it operates, etc. I highly recommend it.

jim
Welcome to Mobileread Jim! This happened to me twice when I first received my Libre last year. It never happened again, before or after the firmware upgrade to .15k.

Did you contact Aluratek through their ticket system? I have found the online chat more responsive.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I have that happening with both the Aluratek Libre Pro (Software V.17 and Patch 17) as well as my JetBook (Software V.34 Patch 15) and not just txt files. I have found that this tends to happen when I am exploring various file formats and conversions. I will be loading up files - re-arranging them, deleting some etc. I sometimes think that this is a buffer or memory management issue. After playing around and doing some testing I clear the "Recent reading lists" as it has recorded all the playing around. Once I am ready to get back to some serious reading I usually find that I have no issues once I get my current book opened again. Like you said - it may bring up something else but but I close that out and reload the book and it usually comes up the second time. I am not too bothered about it as the book always opens at the spot where I left it off and any bookmarks that I logged are still there. all subsequent opening usually happen on first try until I start messing around with it.

Like I said - It happens to both Jetbook and Libre and it may be lack of working space or memory management (house keeping) issue as the hardware is the same and probably the OS as well.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 06-17-2010 at 01:10 AM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote