Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your preferred way of referring to non-ebooks?
'Pbook' (short for print book or printed book) 10 8.33%
'Pbook' (short for paper book) 13 10.83%
'Pbook' (short for physical book) 7 5.83%
'Pbook' (never thought about what it's short for) 4 3.33%
'Print Book' or 'Printed Book' 10 8.33%
'Paper Book' 48 40.00%
'Physical Book' 14 11.67%
'DTB' (short for dead tree book) 9 7.50%
'Dead Tree Book' 14 11.67%
'Real Book' 4 3.33%
'Spine Book' or 'Spined Book' 0 0%
'Book' 35 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #31
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I generally use "book" for all paper books, whether hard cover or paperbacks. And I pretty much always use "ebook" for digital books, never just "book". And that's the same for me whether in conversation or online text.

If someone is being more obtuse, then I'll resort to using "paper books", and once in a blue moon I'll refer to "paper backs" but only when I'm referring specifically to the smaller books I used to carry around with me in the past.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:11 AM   #32
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
I am using Holz-Buch which is wooden book.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #33
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Right let's do a multiple choice for tablets, what does everyone call clay tablets, and how do you differentiate between stone and electronic tablets.

I'm expecting everyone but Harry to call them a tablet of some kind so we need :-
Tablet
Clay Tablet
Stone Tablet
iPad
Tuppu
Something to differentiate between "Kindle Fire" and "Samsung about to set on Fire"
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:53 AM   #34
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I only added plain 'book' for those (ahem, stubborn ) people who want to insist on just saying book even when needing to distinguish from an ebook. For example, if such a person only reads ebooks then they might say, 'I don't read books anymore'. I hope that makes it clear how silly it would be to use simply 'book' to distinguish from 'ebook'.
For me, its rather the opposite. I say "I don't read paper books anymore."

When I say "book", it's always the concept of letters on a surface, which I can read and tells a story (which can be educational or for pleasure or even both), but I always have the electronic version on my mind. And often, if there's no electronic version, it doesn't exist for me
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Usually "book" for both. But if the conversation requires a distinction, it's "physical book" -- "pbook" if it needs to be typed repeatedly.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #36
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Among people who are familiar with the acronym, online I say "DTB" (one time someone thought it meant "digital talking book" so I stopped using it for a while, but I did mean "dead tree book" with a smile).

Now that ebooks are more normal, I do find that more people parse it that way ("dead tree"), but I do try to know my audience so I don't have to explain.

Verbally when talking among friends, I usually will say either "printed book" or "physical book".

e.g. "The ebook was unavailable on overdrive, so I borrowed the physical book instead."

Last edited by spindlegirl; 07-06-2017 at 07:07 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Among people who are familiar with the acronym, online I say "DTB" (one time someone thought it meant "digital talking book" so I stopped using it for a while, but I did mean "dead tree book" with a smile).

Now that ebooks are more normal, I do find that more people parse it that way ("dead tree"), but I do try to know my audience so I don't have to explain.

Verbally when talking among friends, I usually will say either "printed book" or "physical book".

e.g. "The ebook was unavailable on overdrive, so I borrowed the physical book instead."
My daughter is always making up her own acronyms then wondering why people don't understand her. She hasn't learned target audience.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #38
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I refer to them as paperback or hardcover. I don't lump the two together unless I'm lumping all formats together.

When I say I'm reading a book, I mean the actual content. If I say I'm reading it on paperback, hardcover or my kindle or kobo I'm then referring to the medium.

I don't actually talk about the medium alot. In most conversations when you're talking about a book, you're talking about the actual content and not fetishizing format.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #39
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I use the term "physical book."
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #40
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
My daughter is always making up her own acronyms then wondering why people don't understand her. She hasn't learned target audience.
Heh, I said "DTB" the first time, meaning dead tree book, following someone else, so I thought I was doing it the right way. I assumed it was the lingo of the group. I was misinformed at the time.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #41
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Heh, I said "DTB" the first time, meaning dead tree book, following someone else, so I thought I was doing it the right way. I assumed it was the lingo of the group. I was misinformed at the time.
Well you know someone is always mentioning DRM at the forum. If I said DRM to a local person, they would tell me their office used to be out on the Interstate but is for sale now.
It was a drilling company started by a Don Meek.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #42
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Well you know someone is always mentioning DRM at the forum. If I said DRM to a local person, they would tell me their office used to be out on the Interstate but is for sale now.
It was a drilling company started by a Don Meek.
Heh, yes, every place has their own lingo and culture.

If I visit forums I've not visited for a long time, I spend a great deal of time re-orienting myself to the acronyms.

I find much of the internet lingo is foreign to people in real life, and often means something else.

In the early 90's when I was getting familiar with the internet, I used to think "LOL" meant "Lots of Love" (because when I was growing up as a tween-teen, it did in notes we'd pass around to our friends). I found it odd that perfect strangers professed their love for me when I was making jokes. I had to ask what it meant because I just couldn't make the connection on my own.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #43
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:

+1

DTB here, paper book elsewhere
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:44 AM   #44
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I am comfortable with using 'Pbook' and 'eBook' terminology. Pbook covers all printed books and/or paper books.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #45
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
There isn't a None of The Above option. I use none of the words that are in the poll, except "Book", which is the term I use for both printed and digital formats and not to distinguish either type. Like a lot of people, I don't often need to distinguish between book formats in regular discussion, even here on MobileRead.

I read both "ebooks" and "not ebooks", although I more often call the not ebooks "traditional books".

For my reading list, I don't distinguish the ebooks (they are the majority), but I do specify the format when it is not an ebook as "Hardcover", "Paperback" or "Audiobook".

Last edited by sakura-panda; 07-11-2017 at 12:30 PM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote