Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #16
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Device: Onyx T68
Hello,
please, can anyone with the 4.4 running in his/her device (better if T68) check if pocketbook app is available in Google Play? for 4.04 it's not available/compatible..

thank you!
Brandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
I have just upgraded my Boox Max from v1.8.1 to the 4.4 and it is amazingly better! The device is much faster and all my apps just run, no glitches. Before for every app installed from Google Play I had to try, re-try, re-try... be so patient to finally start the app for the first time. In 4.4 the apps just start from the first time

I cannot believe it is such a huge difference. I am even suspecting now that there was something f* in the firmware on my device from the beginning so perhaps I should have re-flash it long ago, even with 1.8.1 to just fix it.

The 4.4 Android works fine. The new browser is so much quicker (finally usable to say) and it is actually very convenient to read mobile websites - wow I will actually use it to read all my favourite news at coffee breaks
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #18
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandobras View Post
Hello,
please, can anyone with the 4.4 running in his/her device (better if T68) check if pocketbook app is available in Google Play? for 4.04 it's not available/compatible..

thank you!
This app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....obreey.reader
says it cannot be installed on Max. However I side-loaded it and it works fine Maybe it even works on 4.0.4 that way. Definitely the app says so only because it does not recognize the device.

Follow this guide for example to get the apk for side-load
https://www.techmesto.com/download-a...thout-account/
Old 05-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Does Bluetooth work okay?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #20
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
May be added Russian?
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2017, 02:50 AM   #21
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Device: Onyx T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
This app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....obreey.reader
says it cannot be installed on Max. However I side-loaded it and it works fine Maybe it even works on 4.0.4 that way. Definitely the app says so only because it does not recognize the device.

Follow this guide for example to get the apk for side-load
https://www.techmesto.com/download-a...thout-account/
hello
currently I have it on my t68 and it works fine: i had downloaded the app from apkmirror and installed it, but I thought that it was just for the 4.0.4, as I have a tablet with 4.4.2 and it is available in its play...
thank you!
Brandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:08 AM   #22
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Does Bluetooth work okay?
How can I test it? You care about bluetooth speaker or keyboard or something else?

Anyway, I wonder where I can submit bugs for the 4.4 firmware.

Today I took my device from sleep mode and it started acting very weird. The device went to sleep with pdf doc open in Neo 2.0. When I awoke it the pen started writing without being in scribble mode, that is it was in both modes at the same time scribbling and doing touch commands. I activated the scribbling mode, erased all the gibberish unintentionally put on the doc but then I noticed that the scribbling does not work well. I decided to reboot the device. After reboot the device was ok. I entered scribbling and problems came again - when writing on the doc suddenly pages started to switch (I was writing on the right side of the doc), then I also noticed that the line thickness is not applied well, also stroke lines have big white margin around them so it looks like you cannot write a word because you erase parts of proceeding letters... I had to reboot again.

I don't need the scribbling at all but still I'm thinking of switching to 1.8.2 if it's going to bother me more like today.

EDIT:

I have done some more tests. The scribbling feature is completely broken on Neo Reader 2.0 - it always starts turning pages during writing. Onyx Neo Reader works perfectly fine, all features: scribbling, zooming, etc.

I did search how can I help with testing/developing the 4.4 firmware but I have found nothing. Hope my post will get its way as a bug report.

Last edited by plusz; 05-07-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #23
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How can I test it? You care about bluetooth speaker or keyboard or something else?

Anyway, I wonder where I can submit bugs for the 4.4 firmware.
Connect it to any BT device, please. Keyboard would be ideal.

I suggest you start a thread for 4.4 bugs. I'm sure there will be bugs. The old Alpha version spawned this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275643
Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #24
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Connect it to any BT device, please. Keyboard would be ideal.
Works well with BT keyboard: Targus AKB32UK
BT discovers a lot of BT things around me so I guess everything is fine.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #25
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Works well with BT keyboard: Targus AKB32UK
BT discovers a lot of BT things around me so I guess everything is fine.
Thanks for checking.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #26
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
If anyone who upgraded to 4.4 has a Bluetooth 4.0 device (like a remote BT camera shutter, or a BT tracker), I'd appreciate if you could test if it works with your e-reader.

While 4.4 is supposed to support BT 4.0 (unlike the previous 4.0.4 version), it requires hardware support too and I'm not sure if the Onyx Boox devices have it.
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:28 AM   #27
ericooo
ericooo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96 CML
Unfortunatly I have to resign using 4.4
Even with smooth ui and usage, screen responsivness is too ugly to keep this version
I run N96CML (backlight and touchscreen; no pen)
1. have to press hard or pultiple times to register a fingertouch
2. freeze to often
3. unable to put in standby or sleep

So sad....
ericooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:10 AM   #28
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericooo View Post
Unfortunatly I have to resign using 4.4
Even with smooth ui and usage, screen responsivness is too ugly to keep this version
I run N96CML (backlight and touchscreen; no pen)
1. have to press hard or pultiple times to register a fingertouch
2. freeze to often
3. unable to put in standby or sleep

So sad....
I bet it's problem with drivers in your case but indeed overall there are small bugs here and there. I wonder how many people is doing this effort to port 4.4 onto the devices. Too bad they don't want/cannot do it open source through xda-developers, GitHub, etc.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #29
ericooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
  1. How many of these "newer apps" are compatible with eInk displays and are practical with eReaders' typically slower CPUs?
Almost all apps I use only check there compatibility against android version and screen resolution ; so the only limits for me using my tablets apps in Onyx Boox was android version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
  1. =
  2. Is there any factual basis for your "expect[ation] that newer Android has native functions to force render apps in 2 colors (B/W)"? And how robust are these functions?
I have other tablets that have this functions (in settings / accessibility)
Perhaps it's only vendor specific?
ericooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #30
ericooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Faust View Post
May be added Russian?
Yes, Russian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version