Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Book Series with less than 250 pages

Hi there, it's easy to find books with 320ish pages. Therefore I'm asking for book series with less than 250 pages. I've discovered the Kate Shugak series, and since my leisure time is going to shrink I'm asking for this recommendation.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All of Agatha Christie's novels fit your requirements.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #3
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the rec, HarryT. I have read most of them,though. Most of the Poirot ones, and all of the Marple ones. Tommy and Tuppence too. I've yet to read And Then There Were None, however.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Hmm... murder mystery seems a common/close fit for this criteria:

The Arthur Upfield's (Inspector Bonaparte / "Bony") books are mostly under 250 pages. I really enjoy these, but then they're set in Australia and I'm Australian ... not sure how well they come across for others.

I see the first few of my Ian Rankin (Inspector Rebus) novels come in at under 250 (or not much over). I enjoyed the half-a-dozen or so of these I've read. Pretty dark and not so great that I've rushed out to grab them all, but still a good read.

A lot of older Science Fiction and Fantasy fits into this page range if you're interested:

Michael Moorcock has several series that fall well within this limit. I particularly enjoyed the Michael Kane series (an unabashed tribute to Edgar Rice Burroughs and done very well), and also his Dancers at the End of Time fantasy. The Elric series is probably more famous, and not a bad read.

Most of the afore-mentioned Edgar Rice Burroughs books are within this length.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis are all under 200 pages (160 odd in the paperback editions I have).

The closest I seem to come in newer series is the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer. Amazon lists the first one at 300 pages. My paperback editions all come out over 300 pages - but the font is quite large. But they're also light easy reading so that might make up for it for you Intended for younger readers, but I really enjoyed these.

And if you're not averse to books for younger readers, Terry Pratchett's Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings) is brilliant - an epic in miniature. Less brilliant, but still good (younger reader) novels are his Johnny Maxwell books. And these all come in well under 250 pages each.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a terribly wide remit. It would be an awful lot easier to help you if you told us what type of books you enjoy reading.
Advert
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Georges Simenon's Maigret mystery books are usually around 150 pages. They are quick to read, but high quality in my opinion.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Hmm... murder mystery seems a common/close fit for this criteria:

The Arthur Upfield's (Inspector Bonaparte / "Bony") books are mostly under 250 pages. I really enjoy these, but then they're set in Australia and I'm Australian ... not sure how well they come across for others.

I see the first few of my Ian Rankin (Inspector Rebus) novels come in at under 250 (or not much over). I enjoyed the half-a-dozen or so of these I've read. Pretty dark and not so great that I've rushed out to grab them all, but still a good read.

A lot of older Science Fiction and Fantasy fits into this page range if you're interested:

Michael Moorcock has several series that fall well within this limit. I particularly enjoyed the Michael Kane series (an unabashed tribute to Edgar Rice Burroughs and done very well), and also his Dancers at the End of Time fantasy. The Elric series is probably more famous, and not a bad read.

Most of the afore-mentioned Edgar Rice Burroughs books are within this length.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis are all under 200 pages (160 odd in the paperback editions I have).

The closest I seem to come in newer series is the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer. Amazon lists the first one at 300 pages. My paperback editions all come out over 300 pages - but the font is quite large. But they're also light easy reading so that might make up for it for you Intended for younger readers, but I really enjoyed these.

And if you're not averse to books for younger readers, Terry Pratchett's Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings) is brilliant - an epic in miniature. Less brilliant, but still good (younger reader) novels are his Johnny Maxwell books. And these all come in well under 250 pages each.
Thanks for the recs. I'm particularly interested in the Artemis Fowl books. These recs are priceless.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a terribly wide remit. It would be an awful lot easier to help you if you told us what type of books you enjoy reading.
If that was meant for me, I'll say that I like most books without any romance, therefore no Paranormal stuff. I also don't like obscure books from Isaac Asimov. I don't enjoy books about zombies.

I like mysteries, cozy mysteries, thrillers and good urban fantasy.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #9
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Georges Simenon's Maigret mystery books are usually around 150 pages. They are quick to read, but high quality in my opinion.
Well spotted, I completely forgot about Maigret, thanks man.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Nero Wolf series by Rex Stout would fit your criteria too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

As would Dick Francis. Both prolific authors.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Pretty much all of Edgar Rice Burroughs' series consist of relatively short novels. Pick the one that has the number of books you want to read...
  • Tarzan--24
  • Mars--11
  • Pellucidar--7
  • Venus--5
  • Caspak--3
  • Moon--3
  • Mucker--2
  • Apache--2
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Heron Carvic's Miss Seeton cozy mystery series. (only the first 5 actually written by him). James White's Hospital Station series. There are a bunch of books by James Schmitz that are listed as about 450 pages but they are actually collections of Novellas with common themes or characters so each could be read separately.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:13 AM   #14
Luffy
Wizard

Thanks guys, your help exceeded my expectations. Hope I get a couple of recs more.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Maybe Discworld? But they are a little longer than 250.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote