Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
hola!claude
Enthusiast
hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4NT B
Unhappy Help me to recover my docs please!

Hi guys,
yesterday I decided to enable the password on my Kindle 4nt,
I somehow managed to write it wrong 2 times with the same mistake!
Don't know how

I know that it's possible to reset but there are so many notes on my documents that I really don't want to...

Is there any way to regain access to the documents on the kindle?

Thank you very much
hola!claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hola!claude View Post
Hi guys,
yesterday I decided to enable the password on my Kindle 4nt,
I somehow managed to write it wrong 2 times with the same mistake!
Don't know how

I know that it's possible to reset but there are so many notes on my documents that I really don't want to...

Is there any way to regain access to the documents on the kindle?

Thank you very much
Congratulations.
Your the first that I recall to report making that error.

The device 'password' thing is a part of the Kindle's GUI.
I suppose that anything which accesses the Kindle's flash, without going through the GUI will allow you to access the USB storage area.

Possibly some of the normal de-bricking tools can help.
In the worse case, using the serial port for system access.

I can not give you more details than just: "don't reset it" yet.
(How did you plan to do that, with the device password locked?).

Someone with more experience using the tools available on the Kubrick CD will have to continue here with the solution.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
hola!claude
Enthusiast
hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hola!claude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
(How did you plan to do that, with the device password locked?).
It's possible to reset it writing "resetmykindle" in the password field,

If anybody has any idea to save my documents first please say it!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hola!claude View Post
Thanks for your response.

It's possible to reset it writing "resetmykindle" in the password field,

If anybody has any idea to save my documents first please say it!
It should be possible, but you will need some Linux knowledge, and you might need to experiment a bit.

You can use a Kubrick USB stick to start the "debrick" procedure. Follow it up to the point where the Kindle is in diags mode and USB network is enabled, then STOP using Kubrick and manually SSH to the device.

From there, you will have full access to all files on the device, which you can then copy to the USB stick.

After!!! you made a backup of the files, you can try to continue with Kubrick, blasting the /var/local partition. This will reset all settings, but should preserve your documents. And in case it doesn't, you'll still have the backup.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-18-2013 at 02:00 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I think you can just blast /var/local. I did that once.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
hola!claude
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It should be possible, but you will need some Linux knowledge, and you might need to experiment a bit.

You can use a Kubrick USB stick to start the "debrick" procedure. Follow it up to the point where the Kindle is in diags mode and USB network is enabled, then STOP using Kubrick and manually SSH to the device.

From there, you will have full access to all files on the device, which you can then copy to the USB stick.

After!!! you made a backup of the files, you can try to continue with Kubrick, blasting the /var/local partition. This will reset all settings, but should preserve your documents. And in case it doesn't, you'll still have the backup.
Thank you very much for your help
I'm going to try this method now