Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Extended power for the Cybook

I recently reviewed a Mobile USB Power Pack that is made by Pocket PC Techs:

Pocket PC Tech's Lil' Sync USB Mobile Power Pack

The focus of my review was on how well it works with Pocket PCs, but, since it uses a mini-USB cable, on a whim I plugged it into my Cybook and found that it works with the Cybook too!

When I got my Cybook, I did not get the AC adapter, so the only way I've been able to recharge the battery is by plugging it into a USB port on my computer, and that's not always very convenient. Now I can charge up this little USB Power Pack and take it with me when I go on the road, and I don't have to worry so much about getting to a computer to recharge the Cybook.

Check it out and see what you think!
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any USB mains adapter or car charger with a mini-USB connecter works perfectly with the Gen3. No need to buy the extremely overpriced Bookeen charger!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Any USB mains adapter or car charger with a mini-USB connecter works perfectly with the Gen3. No need to buy the extremely overpriced Bookeen charger!
Hmm... my Garmin came with one of these. Bet it would work with the CyBook.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Should work just fine. I use all my mini-usb (Gen3, mobile phone, sat nav) chargers and cable completely interchangeably. The max current is specified by the USB spec, so they should all be the same.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Yes, I plugged the mini-usb cord into an AC adapter for a Pocket PC (that included a USB socket) and it worked perfectly.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I recently reviewed a Mobile USB Power Pack that is made by Pocket PC Techs:

Pocket PC Tech's Lil' Sync USB Mobile Power Pack

The focus of my review was on how well it works with Pocket PCs, but, since it uses a mini-USB cable, on a whim I plugged it into my Cybook and found that it works with the Cybook too!

When I got my Cybook, I did not get the AC adapter, so the only way I've been able to recharge the battery is by plugging it into a USB port on my computer, and that's not always very convenient. Now I can charge up this little USB Power Pack and take it with me when I go on the road, and I don't have to worry so much about getting to a computer to recharge the Cybook.

Check it out and see what you think!
Both Datexx and APC (makers of all those UPSes for PCs) make portable power packs and you can usually find them listed on eBay. Great devices, really. Now if *ONLY* Bookeen would make the Cybook usable while charging...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It would be nice, but one has to charge sufficiently infrequently that I don't really think it's a problem. I find that the few minutes a day I have my Gen3 connected to my PC for the purpose of testing the books I create is sufficient to keep the battery fully charged.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Going back to the original post here... It would seem it's an ideal device for me. My MP3 player, my phone, and my spanky new Cybook are all powered by USB. So with one of those things then if any of them ran low, I could charge them back up.

Something else I'd need to snag is Gomadic tips for the phone and the Cybook.

I have a Gomadic USB cable, and power adaptor, plus a charge only and a charge/connect tip for the X5L, I don't have them for the D900 or Cybook....

But if I did then I'd have.

Phone, X5L, Cybook, Extended power pack, One wall charger. One USB cable. Which would be rather neat.

Guess I'll be ordering one of these next time I'm in the states
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote