Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
More desirable, certainly. Everything, nah.

Keep in mind the price difference is significant. There is a $20 difference between the Touch and the Glo ($50 at the moment) and $40 difference between the mini and the Glo ($90 at the moment). That is a lot of money for a light bulb and a battery.
The light isn't the only difference. The Glo has a higher resolution screen and a faster CPU than the Touch. I think those explain the price difference as much as the light.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
More desirable, certainly. Everything, nah.

Keep in mind the price difference is significant. There is a $20 difference between the Touch and the Glo ($50 at the moment) and $40 difference between the mini and the Glo ($90 at the moment). That is a lot of money for a light bulb and a battery.
Well, it is a little more than just that (there is the light guide layer to consider, for instance)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The light isn't the only difference. The Glo has a higher resolution screen and a faster CPU than the Touch. I think those explain the price difference as much as the light.
It would be interesting to know what the profit margins are on these devices. One business tactic is to have a low cost, low margin device in order to maintain market share while placing a key feature into a higher cost, higher margin device that you expect consumers to buy. After all, the last thing Kobo wants to do is lose customers to Amazon's low cost Kindle since it is harder to pull those customers in once they have bought ebooks from Amazon.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
*cough* I know you won't tell anyone...

2" Kobo Ultra Micro (e-ink)
30" Kobo Ultra Massive (e-ink)
60" Kobo Arc 4k (tablet - doubles up as 4k TV)

*cough*

Just in case anyone takes me seriously, this is, of course, an attempt at humour, as I know some can take a joke. Some may frown upon this however, and I'm having to explain myself in case anyone thinks this is some kind of official statement, which is obviously is not.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Will there also be a range of cargo pants with pockets to handle that 30" display?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Will there also be a range of cargo pants with pockets to handle that 30" display?
I think the 30 inch Kobo will have a flexible display; the skinny among you can wear it as kilt...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I guess no point having a slot for a micro SD card (or even full size SD card) in a 30". It will be a slot for a full-sized SATA drive!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I wouldn't say front lighting is everything, but it's a significant advancement when correctly implemented. I started with a Pandigital Novel e-ink reader, which went to a niece a few weeks later when I saw the Nook STRs had more contrasty screens and could be rooted. I bought the Kobo Touch when I looked a bit further and saw it had adjustable weight fonts for more contrast and I found one cheap enough to try sight unseen... In the mean time, with all these readers, I found myself buying LED lights and trying to find a way to comfortably read in my somewhat cavishly lit living room while watching the tube, uh, the flat(?) without cranking up the room lighting. So, came the Glo as a "late Christmas present" this January.

I will not willingly go back to buying batteries and wrestling with LED lights on assorted goosenecks, or light my room differently as long as I can use an e-ink reader with decent built-in lighting.

If you'll consider for a moment the cost of batteries, $20 extra for built-in lighting is not that big a premium to pay. If you read often enough in conditions requiring a bit of light, it even becomes quite cost effective.

As for the other speculation involving the need for cargo pants with VERY large pockets, I can't decide whether I need a really big e-ink reader to put next to the bigger than it should be HDTV or a smaller clip on HDTV that attaches to my Kobo Glo.

Last edited by TechniSol; 07-10-2013 at 11:34 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #24
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
And I guess no point having a slot for a micro SD card (or even full size SD card) in a 30". It will be a slot for a full-sized SATA drive!
Given how some people like to boast about their enormous collections while criticizing performance, I'm guessing that there's going to be multiple slots for a striped disk array.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

+1

Raid 10, or 5, or ?

Maybe SSD's ?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
*cough* 1TB ssd *cough*
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I think the 30 inch Kobo will have a flexible display; the skinny among you can wear it as kilt...
Oh now that's an idea a kilt.. We can all change the design when we sit down or stand up. best to not go for the clear screen display though.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #28
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
*cough* 1TB ssd *cough*
But since SSD are all memory they don't really need to be that huge....

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Given how some people like to boast about their enormous...
Yes they do!
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
*cough* 1TB ssd *cough*
What? Not 6 1TB SSDs in a RAID 6 array? Cheapskates...

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote