Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
acail0607
acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: KOBO
Covers in Calibre Look Fine, Don't Show Up On KOBO

Hey everyone,

I just recently bought the Kobo Touch, and have been trying to organize my books through Calibre. I've downloaded all the proper metadata for each book, but when I transfer them to my Kobo, the covers are either the previous ones, or too small. Any ideas? Thanks so much for the help.
acail0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Well you should try to get the highest resolution cover to make it so it isn't small. One thing you could try is converting the book to epub, to get the new cover to take affect. What version of Calibre are you using?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The newest version of Calibre you can just change the cover of the book and resend it to the Kobo, it shouldn't make a duplicate it should just replace the previous cover. And I believe it saves you bookmark as well.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by acail0607 View Post
Hey everyone,

I just recently bought the Kobo Touch, and have been trying to organize my books through Calibre. I've downloaded all the proper metadata for each book, but when I transfer them to my Kobo, the covers are either the previous ones, or too small. Any ideas? Thanks so much for the help.
That's because calibre doesn't actually alter the epub's cover.jpg unless you set up a new cover during an epub-to-epub conversion. An easier way, though, is to (if you don't have 7Zip or some other real archive manager) just rename the .epub to a .zip file (since that's all it is, really), dragn and drop your own cover.jpg (suitably renamed if it's a different filename inside the epub) into the archive to replace what's there, then rename the file back to .epub.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
acail0607
acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.acail0607 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: KOBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The newest version of Calibre you can just change the cover of the book and resend it to the Kobo, it shouldn't make a duplicate it should just replace the previous cover. And I believe it saves you bookmark as well.
All the covers and metadata/information is updated and organized on Calibre, but when I deleted the books off my Kobo, then reloaded them to my Kobo, the covers remained the original ones.

I'm also not sure how to change the file from a Epub to a Zip one. Any suggestions?

Edit: I updated Calibre, and when my device is connected to Calibre, the covers are the proper ones. But again, on my Kobo, they are the original. It must be in the file?

Second Edit: I did the epub to epub conversion in Calibre, and that finally worked! Thanks everyone for your help!!

Last edited by acail0607; 12-11-2011 at 10:40 PM.
acail0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired

Best Buy has refurbished KT for $79.99 and Refurbished WiFi's for $59.99.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
epub to epub conversion is the easiest fixed for us less than savy computer people.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by acail0607 View Post
I'm also not sure how to change the file from a Epub to a Zip one. Any suggestions?
Find the file on your hard drive (outside of calibre), highlight it, and hit F2 or right-click and select Rename, then just change the file extension from .epub to .zip (and then back again when you're through). Much better option than doing epub-to-epub conversion within calibre - too easy to screw up the formatting.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Is there any way to add or change covers on "free" Kobo books that can't be moved to Calibre to edit?
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
Is there any way to add or change covers on "free" Kobo books that can't be moved to Calibre to edit?
Unfortunately not but you can always find the classics at least from other sources (for instance https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline ) and add those to calibre.

I suppose if you were truly desperate, it's possible you could just replace the jpg files on the Kobo itself by ones with the correct size. Look in \.kobo\images but I have not tried this, and have no idea if it would work.

Last edited by PeterT; 12-12-2011 at 05:54 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
This is an ongoing issue with Calibre. create your books and manually drag them to your kobo. This will allow the covers to show. I dont care what anyone says, calibre corrupts the covers when you use it to manage your kobo device.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks Peter! I had been looking for other sources already and came across a reference to Open Library in the link you sent. There I found wonderful covers and epubs for the first two Dr. Dolittle books and have loaded them in Calibre to combine books and covers. The epubs aren't perfect but have the same illustrations I remember from reading these books as a child! I can probably find better versions through your link, noticed someone was working on them. I will continue to search and hopefully find epubs by the end of Januaray for some other classics I want to share with my granddaughter via her birthday Kobo WiFi.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
moolyn
Rookie eBookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
This is an ongoing issue with Calibre. create your books and manually drag them to your kobo. This will allow the covers to show. I dont care what anyone says, calibre corrupts the covers when you use it to manage your kobo device.

Can you please explain what you mean - I'm still a rookie ebookie.

I did have problems with covers when I used the same SD card for my Kobo Touch that worked on the Vox I had for a while to transfer books from Calibre.

Tags
calibre, covers, ebook, kobo