Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #31
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The iPhone/iPad is great for magazine reading, but not for reading a 300+ page book.
hmm, I've read at least some 10x that in my smartphone. Almost all of Sherlock Holmes books for instance.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #32
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
It should be mentioned that on the Amazon Appstore, Mantano is listed as not compatible with the Kindle Fire.

I think you are going to see this with a lot of Apps until Amazon testers have had an opportunity to see if the App features will work with the Fire. Until then, SlideME, AndroidPIT ,Freeware Lovers, The Android Community, PandaApp, and GetJar, just to name a few are good sources to get free Apps outside of the Amazon Store.

I particularly like the Android Community website because they sync their App data directly from the Android Market. All FREE Apps available on the Android Market can be downloaded from their site.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-30-2011 at 08:36 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I particularly like the Android Community website because they sync their App data directly from the Android Market. All FREE Apps available on the Android Market can be downloaded from their site.
Thanks a lot for that link. Android Community had the newest version of YouTube, which does a better job of displaying video thumbnails than the version I had. Now if I could just figure out how to log in to my own account I'd be set.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #34
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Thanks a lot for that link. Android Community had the newest version of YouTube, which does a better job of displaying video thumbnails than the version I had. Now if I could just figure out how to log in to my own account I'd be set.

No problem. You might also like FREEdi YouTube Downloader. You can get this free from the Amazon App Store. It let's you download and save YouTube videos.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-29-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #35
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
What exactly is this site and who hosts it and why? If you read the FAQ, it says "We are an online android community forum that provide tutorial and FAQ on Android application development.."

Aside from the Engrish, there is no forum at all. There are only old blog posts that are copied verbatim from other sites.

It may not be evil, but I am not very comfortable with side-loading apps on my devices from such anonymous sites. I would rather trust Google and Amazon.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSimpson View Post
I love Moonreader on my Xoom and phones. Is Mantano better?
I hate the way moonreader handles the TOC and chapters.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #37
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
What exactly is this site and who hosts it and why? If you read the FAQ, it says "We are an online android community forum that provide tutorial and FAQ on Android application development.."

Aside from the Engrish, there is no forum at all. There are only old blog posts that are copied verbatim from other sites.

It may not be evil, but I am not very comfortable with side-loading apps on my devices from such anonymous sites. I would rather trust Google and Amazon.

It's not an anonymous or evil website. I have downloaded plenty of Apps from here with ZERO problems. These alternative Android App websites grew out of necessity because the Official Google Android Market is not available to all tablet users. This site is no different than SlideMe, FreewareLovers, AndroidPIT, 1Mobile etc. If they were shady they would offer PAID Apps FREE, as well as free Apps. They offer both which tells me their not out to break any copyright restrictions. They aren't CyberDevilz or ThePirateBay.

Would we like to have access to the Google Market? Sure. But, many Fire owners do not have the ability or desire to Root their tablet in order to get it.

Beside, I remember downloading the NY Times App from the Android Community website based on a link you provided in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158615

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-30-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #38
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But do keep in mind, with the growing popularity .... there are viruses etc. being released into the android app world. ...
Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #39
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But do keep in mind, with the growing popularity .... there are viruses etc. being released into the android app world. ...

True, but are you really any safer using the Google Android Market? Security researchers are sounding a warning about the speed at which Android malware is growing, thanks to how easy it is to post an application on the Android Market.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/An...Market-576315/
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #40
kennyc

Quote:
True, but are you really any safer using the Google Android Market? Security researchers are sounding a warning about the speed at which Android malware is growing, thanks to how easy it is to post an application on the Android Market.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/An...Market-576315/
Never said that, did I.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #41
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Never said that, did I.
No, you didn't, and no offense intended. You are correct that whenever an OS gains popularity the black hats will always try and go after it and exploit it. My point is that you may be no safer using the Android Market then say the AndroidPIT. In some cases you may be less safe because why go after the minnows when you can try and land the big fish.

Most of the time this type of malware is more annoying (e.g. spam, adware, pop-ups) than malicious. I have owned and worked on computers since the Radio Shack TRS Level I all the way up to Windows 7, and in all those years I have only had 1 major virus (Fake Virus Security Scan that could not be closed) that slipped through Norton. Luckily, it was easily removed with MalwareByte Anti-Malware.

For those worried about viruses, I suggest they go to the Amazon App Store and do a search for antivirus. There are many free antivirus Apps including WebRoot, AVG etc.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-30-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Mantano is good, but I do have a couple of small issues with it.

One, like most of the 3rd party reader apps, it tends to take too many presses to bring up a definition in the dictionary. In the stock Fire reader you simply long press to select a word and the dictionary popup is displayed with a short definition. in Mantano you long press to attempt to select a word, but 9 times out of ten it will select anything but your word as the selector seems very buggie. Once the word is selected you then press the Dictionary button at the bottom of the screen to popup a window then from that you press the magnifying glass icon to actually bring up the definition. This is way to kluge and you have to move your finger about on the screen. Compare the Fire stock reader where it is simple and elegant, and your finger can stay near the word you looked up.

Two, you can sideload fonts, but they often display horribly wrong making them worthless to use. I sideloaded Caecilia, Lexia DaMa, and some others but they all display with the bottom alignment of the letters askewed. It is difficult to read words where the letters are at different heights above the bottom line.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #43
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I hate the way moonreader handles the TOC and chapters.
Same here. "Hate" is a strong word, but unfortunately it applies here.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #44
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Can Mantano reader access books after Kindle reader has gotten to them? I haven't found even my sideloaded ones available for browsing; it's as if they got moved.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #45
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
It's not an anonymous or evil website. I have downloaded plenty of Apps from here with ZERO problems.
Not a valid argument. I've had ZERO problems with Piratebay, doesn't mean the site is legit.
Quote:
Beside, I remember downloading the NY Times App from the Android Community website based on a link you provided in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158615
Yes, I've pointed people there, will the proviso "if you trust androiddev". It still does not make the site legit. The fact remains, this site is a mystery as to who owns it, and what their security measures are, if any. Yes, I definitely trust Google much more than androiddev, which is basically anonymous. Google has security measures in place, there is feedback on each app, and they have precedent for taking down malicious apps.

If someone hacks androiddev and injects malware into each APK, how would we know?

If you have some actual knowledge about the workings of androiddev, beyond your assumptions and anecdotal evidence, I'd love to hear it.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote