Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
cmichaelis
cmichaelis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Frozen Screen

New DR800SG delivered from Best Buy March 8th.

Worked great for less then two weeks, I never dropped or put anything on the device. I kept in gel case when not in use and in my briefcase.

Took out of gel case this morning March 19th and the screen is full of lines and does not respond, it is just frozen with these lines.

Called Best Buy, they do not support.
Called iRex, stayed on hold for 30 minutes then they came on and took my number said they will call me back in 1.5 hours......

Is anyone else having these issues? Did I just get a bad one...

I'll wait and see what iRex says but if this $400 device is going to be this sensitive or poorly manufactured I may just return it to Best Buy for a refund.
cmichaelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Sorry to hear about your DR800 problem, cmichaelis. That's a really disappointing thing to happen.

I received mine the same day as you, March 8, and it's fine. But that's not saying anything -- it's only been two weeks. Others haven't had their units much longer since it only came out at the end of last month. For all we know, each and every unit is lemon waiting to be revealed. Or your device failure is rare and unique, a freak occurrence.

Either way, it truly stinks to be the person with a bad product. I hope the resolution goes smoothly and quickly.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Definitely disappointing, but these things do happen. Having worked in the computer industry for a lot of years you tend to see electronics either fail very early in their life or not until very late in their life.

Hopefully since it is so new they will just swap it out for a replacement.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
cmichaelis

Thanks for the support. Unfortunately iRex was not as swift in their response and they never called me back after taking my name and number.

Not wanting to risk my $400 investment I promptly took the broken unit down to my local Best Buy for a full refund.

While I was there I looked at the SONY PRS-900. Same price as the DR800 and I have to say allot better design and materials went into this. The software seems to be light years ahead of iRex and is not glitchy at all.

Even with a slightly smaller display and a little more glare on the screen the SONY beats the iRex hands down on features, functionality, and styling.

So I bought one... Sorry iRex. I think they have a ways to go if they are going to be successful in the US market.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm glad you found a happy ending. From all accounts the PRS-900 is a wonderful e-reader. I might have gotten one myself instead of my DR800 except that I cursed when I got my Kindle 2 because of the darker, less-readable screen compared to my Cybook Gen3. There's no way I will tolerate anything worse. Thus the Sony was ruled out.

But for those with better eyesight and/or greater tolerance, it's a great choice.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelis View Post
Took out of gel case this morning March 19th and the screen is full of lines and does not respond, it is just frozen with these lines.
That sounds a lot like a broken screen.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
cmichaelis

Ok, So I lived with the SONY PRS-900 for a week, I used it mostly on my 2 hour train commute everyday.

I was not able to get used to the glare issues, it is a great device in every-way but if you can't read it what good id it.

I returned this one also and now I am starting my search over. With all the new devices coming out I am not sure which way to go.

I loved the iRex' display and the quality of the SONY, any advice is welcome...
Old 03-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
jraf
jraf began at the beginning.

Device: DR-800 SG
A few days ago my DR 800 froze in a book page. The led was off and it did not respond to any input. I tried to reboot it but it didn't work. I opened the battery lid to try a hard reboot when I was that the battery was disconnected. The connection between the battery wire and the DR 800 is very loose so a minor bump caused mine to disconnect. After connecting it again everything worked fine.
jraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelis View Post
I was not able to get used to the glare issues, it is a great device in every-way but if you can't read it what good id it.
That's unfortunate. I was hoping the readability issues wouldn't be a problem for you. The problem with many e-reader reviews and opinions is that some rate according to how good a gadget it is while others who read a lot judge according to how well it gets out of the way of actually reading -- that is, the device should never make itself noticed once you're immersed in a book. And you don't always know which bias they have when they put their thumbs up or down on a reader.

I think you would have been happy with the DR800 if it hadn't been a bad unit. As a heavy reader I sure am. I don't know what other options you have. There are plenty of great 6" readers (too small for me after experiencing 8.1") and pretty soon some 9" and 10" ones will arrive (which cross the line into "too big, too heavy" for me, unless maybe if it's just for keeping at home while reading on the couch).

You've already tried the only two I know of in the middle screen size. I can't think of anything to recommend, sorry. Whatever your choice, I hope you have better luck.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
GringoAlto
GringoAlto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and broken irex DR800
GringoAlto

I have had my Irex 800SG for about six months. The only objection I had was the lack of a filing system for books. The latest upgrade fixed that.

It satisfies all of my requirements. I have an excellent file converter for PDF to EPUB. I never save PDF books.

I have 4 GB memory card and it seems to be more than enough for me.

I have only one problem; the damned thing stopped working. I can't find the correct place to get a service ticket. This location "thttp://support.irexnet.com/" only seems to support the Iliad 1000 devices. It does not even have the DR800 model numbers.

AND - After registering and submitting a support ticket - the ticket does not seem to be accepted.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
-Gavin
GringoAlto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Can you be more specific about "stopped working"? Maybe someone on here can give you ideas of something to try without having to send it back to iRex.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
jm35
jm35 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoAlto View Post
... I can't find the correct place to get a service ticket. This location "thttp://support.irexnet.com/" only seems to support the Iliad 1000 devices. It does not even have the DR800 model numbers.

AND - After registering and submitting a support ticket - the ticket does not seem to be accepted.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Gavin, since you have the DR800SG, you could try submitting a support ticket at this site instead: http://support.irexreader.com/ . I don't know whether that site's support system is still working, though.

Or, as Shaggy suggested, maybe someone on this forum will be able to help you solve it on your own.
jm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #13
GringoAlto
GringoAlto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and broken irex DR800
Thank You: Dellaster and Shaggy. I got connected to iRex. Billy, the tech., gave rapid responses to my ticket.

I told him which of the several versions of the system I was using: the last two updates and the one provided with the reader. I told him that they all worked before failure and none worked since.

I have removed and restored the battery with no result. I have, obviously, replaced the memory card; no change.

Billy said that I should try the "push the slider to the left" reset. I did and nothing happened.

Billy said that I shouldn't send it back for repairs and that iRex wasn't allowed to ship or receive anything because of the legal situation.

Thanks guys, Gavin
GringoAlto is offline   Reply With Quote