Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion: The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (spoilers)

So... how did you all find this book?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So... how did you all find this book?
Well, somebody provided a link making it easy to find.
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

I thought the book was good but not great. It was a quick, short read. I guess I was thinking it was going to be better than it was because it was labeled a "classic thriller".
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The reason it's such a familiar story to a modern reader is simply that it's been so much copied. When it was written, it was a new kind of story, which is why it's regarded as a classic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
It was a quick read. i was unimpressed with the story. The good thing is that I finished it quickly and went on to read Shutter Island.

Reading "One Second After"
by William R. Forstchen
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Hey... I knew it was a softball. I wanted to see who would be the first to take the bate.

Quote:
I thought the book was good but not great. It was a quick, short read. I guess I was thinking it was going to be better than it was because it was labeled a "classic thriller".
Same here. I was hoping for a page turner... and this was not that. To me it seemed a vague story about hide-n-seek without knowing who the seekers were or why they were playing the game.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
One thing struck me. 80% into the book, Buchan used the phrase "mean streets". I thought that that phrase had been coined by Raymond Chandler in his essay The Simple Art of Murder in the late 40s, but here we see it published in 1915!

I enjoyed the book very much, in that I looked forward each day to reading a chapter. I'll look forward to reading the next book in Harry's omnibus soon.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
I feel very similar about it. It has been some weeks that I finished reading it and in the meantime I can only recollect very little of the story - a clear sign that the book did not impress me much
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason it's such a familiar story to a modern reader is simply that it's been so much copied. When it was written, it was a new kind of story, which is why it's regarded as a classic.
I think this is a very good comment. But although excellent for its time, I think it doesn't stand up well to subsequent work.

I was a bit unhappy about the disguise aspects of it, especially the end scene, but willing to go along for the story. I did rather like the section with the road maintainer.

I'm afraid the sections of travel and pursuit across Scotland compared very unfavourably for me with the scenes in Kidnapped. I also found the idea of Hannay ending up at the one house he would not wish to be at very unlikely. Especially as this was clearly not a house suddenly rented for the purpose, but their house even before Hannay went to Scotland. (Else why the explosives?)

I was also disappointed by Hannay's decision to try to leave the train between stations. He was pretty inconspicuous until then!

But I must admit that I'd forgotten it was written so early. But it's still not one I plan on re-reading.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
asterion
Bookseller
asterion began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Quote:
I totally agree with you: While it's a great masterpiece it's entertaining. One thing that puzzled me is that he had to do all the things to the end: as a roadman for example. He had to believe in what he was doing but I think that's stupid for you can believe in it the while you need it if not leave it cause you have to escape no to maintain a road or do a favor to the real roadman (the bad guys had already gone so you can continue your escape)
asterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
asterion
Bookseller

I think the film is much better in the sense that it gets of the story all Buchan can't get.

Last edited by asterion; 06-21-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: repeated message
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
asterion
Bookseller

Also the novel is just going around and hide. I liked it but it can't compare to [I]Uncommon Danger[I]by Eric Ambler, which has a similar approach. I really recommend it, it's really great.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #12
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:

I think that just about sums up my feelings as well. I was not resentful of the time I spent reading the book, but it in no way made me want to read any other books by Buchan. It was interesting to read post-WW1 propaganda, but it's also only interesting up to a point.

To me, the book's biggest sin is that NOTHING goes wrong for the protagonist. All the "dangers" are fixed magically and conveniently. After about the 5th time that happened, I grew bored.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
I read several of Buchan's thrillers when I was a boy, growing up in the years immediately after WWII. I remember enjoying them, but 'The 39 Steps' was by no means my favourite. Try the South African novels, such as 'Prester John'. There is also a good one set mainly in Scotland, if I remember rightly, in which the hero is a retired grocer, who strikes up a friendship with a bunch of working-class boys from Glasgow while trying to rescue a Russian princess. It's called 'Huntingtower', and it's available on Gutenberg, and it's a good read. Or it was to a nine-year-old boy.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I rather enjoyed the book. It wasn't the finest thing I've ever read, but it was short, and best of all, it provided a breather to catch up with some of my other reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Exactly.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-22-2010 at 03:10 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
Removed

Last edited by voodooblues; 06-22-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: move to different thread
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote