Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #46
maddz
Addict
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Personally, I would read the first of the Wheel of Time books, it was an exceptional book and IMPO can be read as a stand alone without too much issue. Yes, there are unanswered questions, but if you like it you can always get the next book.
I think I got around 5 or 6 books into the series before figuring out that it was just going round in circles and getting rid of all I had. I suppose book 1 wasn't too bad, but at the time there were plenty of epic fantasy trilogies around which did come to a resolution so I didn't miss it. There were some interesting ideas there, but as there was never any resolution to them (or so it seemed), I gave up. Besides, I always thought it something of another LoTR wanna-be (not in any disparaging sense - much epic fantasy seems to come across that way - and if it's well-written and has something fresh to bring to the trope, then all power to it).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #47
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
Obelisk Gate wasn't my pick, but it was good. I also liked All the Birds in the Sky and A Closed and Common Orbit. Not so much the other three. I also liked Every Heart a Doorway a lot and glad it won.

I like to read the Hugo books because while sometimes I like them, and sometimes I don't, it keeps me from reading the same writers over and over, and sometimes I find one I really like.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM   #48
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Personally, I would read the first of the Wheel of Time books, it was an exceptional book and IMPO can be read as a stand alone without too much issue. Yes, there are unanswered questions, but if you like it you can always get the next book.
The series turned with with the Hugo voter package a few years back (So all 14 bricks in a single epub), comes in at over 10,000 pages I'll have a go when I have a spare year.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
The series turned with with the Hugo voter package a few years back (So all 14 bricks in a single epub), comes in at over 10,000 pages I'll have a go when I have a spare year.
It's a series I very much enjoyed, particularly the last three books, which were written by Brandon Sanderson, who I think personally is a much better writer than Robert Jordan. I have doubts that Jordan would have ever finished it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #50
ottdmk
Guru
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Blackberry Playbook, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
I have that Hugo-package Wheel of Time epub. Been slowly making my way through it for quite a while.

The Dragon Reborn remains one of my all-time favourite fantasy novels, but some others in the series have not been close to its quality.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #51
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I have that Hugo-package Wheel of Time epub. Been slowly making my way through it for quite a while.

The Dragon Reborn remains one of my all-time favourite fantasy novels, but some others in the series have not been close to its quality.
While they were coming out, the word was that every other book advanced the story, while the others were just filler. I suspect that the series would have been a lot better written and would have resolved earlier if Jordan hadn't married his editor. A good editor would have reduced the series to 5 or 6 books focused on the main story line, then done the other story arcs as separate books.

I agree that the last three books written by Sanderson were much better than all except the first few books written by Jordan.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote