Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
The nook glowlight is much much much better.it has a file explorer too.it does not suffer from the lag.you can put a micro sd card slot too.

i have tested it with 10000 books and it's quick.

i think it generates an index file when you add/subtract books and uses that to point to files instead of going to the actual files.this makes it fast.

pity the kindle moron designers can't do this and inflict us with stupid time consuming "collections".

i have 3 nook glow glowlights now.cost me £50 each.better then the 3g kindle crap i have lying in a drawer.
I have never had the Kindle UI slow down except for when creating collections and doing a global search.
Not sure about the collections management. Fortunately the one thing I spend the least time on is editing collections.
The global search is a no-brainer that it is slow.

On the other hand, I have borrowed my friend's Nook Glowlight -- for purely experimental reasons!!! -- and discovered it to be slow in every way shape and form.

The Nook also suffers from a severe lack of storage space, e.g. partitioned userstore and the removal of the exalted SD slot.

"i think it generates an index file when you add/subtract books and uses that to point to files instead of going to the actual files.this makes it fast." -- what exactly is this even supposed to mean? Do you mean to imply you think the Kindle loads the ebook file into memory in order to page through your device library? I cannot fathom why you would think so, and considering the Kindle only has 256 MB of RAM, it could not possibly load 3 GB of books into memory just to show the books ondevice.
Suffice it to say -- both the Kindle and Nook store metadata about the book i order to index it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I have noticed that Calibre takes a lot longer to add books to my Paperwhite than to the Kobo mini, even when there are very few books on the kindle.
I do not have a Kobo, but I have never had problems with the speed of transfer to my Kindle. Since it is a basic filesystem operation, I don't see what might be going wrong.
Although calibre must update the Kobo database in addition to transferring the book, so if anything it would be the other way around (by milliseconds ).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #17
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
I have a k3 keyboard and a Nexus 7 (2012 version). Love that I can use the k3 when outdoors, but never liked using book lights or those goofy reading glasses with lights at the temple. I got the Nexus 7 for multi purpose use. It is ok for reading indoors but a bit heavy IMHO. I am hoping the Voyage will help with eye strain and be comfortable for reading for extended periods of time indoors or out.

I ordered the Voyage relatively early and got the $40 off and six months to pay with an Amazon store card signup (half the $80 difference between the PW and Voyage sticker price). So I will take delivery of it first week of Nov and give it a try.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I have never had the Kindle UI slow down except for when creating collections and doing a global search.
Not sure about the collections management. Fortunately the one thing I spend the least time on is editing collections.
The global search is a no-brainer that it is slow.

On the other hand, I have borrowed my friend's Nook Glowlight -- for purely experimental reasons!!! -- and discovered it to be slow in every way shape and form.

The Nook also suffers from a severe lack of storage space, e.g. partitioned userstore and the removal of the exalted SD slot.

"i think it generates an index file when you add/subtract books and uses that to point to files instead of going to the actual files.this makes it fast." -- what exactly is this even supposed to mean? Do you mean to imply you think the Kindle loads the ebook file into memory in order to page through your device library? I cannot fathom why you would think so, and considering the Kindle only has 256 MB of RAM, it could not possibly load 3 GB of books into memory just to show the books ondevice.
Suffice it to say -- both the Kindle and Nook store metadata about the book i order to index it.

I do not have a Kobo, but I have never had problems with the speed of transfer to my Kindle. Since it is a basic filesystem operation, I don't see what might be going wrong.
Although calibre must update the Kobo database in addition to transferring the book, so if anything it would be the other way around (by milliseconds ).
I am not talking about the nook glowlight without the sd card slot which is just awful because it has no sd card slot and looks wise.

i am talking about the one before which was awesome and did not suffer the slow down you mentioned.

256 mb memory does not load all the books but caches them in the kindle and slows because of it.

the original nook generated an index text file instead with pointers to the actual file and was very fast.

i have 3 to prove it.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
I am not talking about the nook glowlight without the sd card slot which is just awful because it has no sd card slot and looks wise.

i am talking about the one before which was awesome and did not suffer the slow down you mentioned.
How kind of you to clarify.

My friend had the old one too. I decided to mention the missing SD card anyway, assuming that is the one people woud be likely to get...

Quote:
256 mb memory does not load all the books but caches them in the kindle and slows because of it.

the original nook generated an index text file instead with pointers to the actual file and was very fast.

i have 3 to prove it.
You are still talking out of your rear.

The Kindle does not do what you say.

Not only does it imply that Amazon has forsaken universal rules of programming used by every device on the face of the earth simply to torment their users, I also have a Kindle Touch, as does my sibling, and two of my friends. Another two friends own the Keyboard, and four or five own the Kindle PW's 1&2. Yet another owns the Basic Kindle with 5-way controller.

None have seen the behavior you describe.
Neither have the thousands on MobileRead... except for you apparently.

On a somewhat related note http://linuxatemyram.com
If you derived your conclusion from hacking and installing a terminal on a Kindle, and checking the memory, this might explain your confusion. (Obscure but possible. )
But a Nook should do the same, it is Android which is based on linux.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-30-2014 at 05:35 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #20
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
How kind of you to clarify.

My friend had the old one too. I decided to mention the missing SD card anyway, assuming that is the one people woud be likely to get...

You are still talking out of your rear.

The Kindle does not do what you say.

Not only does it imply that Amazon has forsaken universal rules of programming used by every device on the face of the earth simply to torment their users, I also have a Kindle Touch, as does my sibling, and two of my friends. Another two friends own the Keyboard, and four or five own the Kindle PW's 1&2. Yet another owns the Basic Kindle with 5-way controller.

None have seen the behavior you describe.
Neither have the thousands on MobileRead... except for you apparently.

On a somewhat related note http://linuxatemyram.com
If you derived your conclusion from hacking and installing a terminal on a Kindle, and checking the memory, this might explain your confusion. (Obscure but possible. )
But a Nook should do the same, it is Android which is based on linux.
i am afraid you are wrong again and your theory based education cannot compete against real world reality - hence the ivory tower thou inhabit.
i had the 3 g kindle with 5 way controller... .loaded it with 4500 books and after indexing it was so slow...more like a paper weight.

i have 10000 on the nook glowlight and it does NOT have this issue at all.it is fast both in indexing,searching and scrolling through lists via file explorer.

You obviously cannot understand file system pointers and your link is irrelevant as i never mentioned memory or ram.you did.

i dare you you to dump 4500 books on your kindle and it will so slow you yourself will throw it out the window.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #21
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb27 View Post
I love my trusty K3 but I have one issue I don't like. The performance. I have over 500 books (mostly novels) on the K3 and it's getting slower and slower to respond when going through menus and particularly when trying to put books in collections. The more books I add, the slower it gets.

Does anyone know if the Voyage will have a faster processor and/or more storage space? If I had my way, I'd put my entire book collection on the Kindle (over 1200 books). But I can't do that on the K3 because it's just too slow.

For those of you who are going to respond by telling me to just remove some books, that's not happening. First, I'm often in locations where I do not have access to the internet. Second, I like to re-read books. Third, why should have to leave books at "home" when I can have my entire library with me? And last, I hate Amazon's interface for finding, organizing and loading books on my Kindle. Once I buy a book, I want it to stay on my device (and I'll manage the books with Calibre which is vastly superior than Amazon's interface)
I don't know the technical details, but I just upgraded to a Voyage from a K3. I would say the screen is the major benefit. I am able to reduce the font size and still be able to read clearly. This means fewer page turns. The software is also interesting but takes some time to get used to. I don't find the speed that much different while I am reading, but I haven't really worried about how fast the page turns are. Turning pages is faster than a real book so…

I will miss the keyboard for the precision it provided for highlighting, typing etc., and there is nothing really wrong with my KK, but it just felt right to upgrade.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
performance, storage, voyage