Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #31
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I actually thought most people liked touch screen when they didn't have a mouse, a keyboard, and a very large monitor like I am at right now, but I have never seen any kind of survey. I assume you don't have WiFi available is the answer to your other point and then ...

That is amazing.
I havent found much need for a mouse with my Kindle, nor a keyboard with the exception of registering and naming the occasional collection. Not sure I would want a 22" display for ebooks either.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #32
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I hope they don't abandon the DX line.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #33
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I am. But only when I want to put a new book on it. The rest of the time, I find myself focusing on this crazy new activity called reading.
I have heard of this reading thing of which you speak. I doubt it will catch on.

-----

Seriously, a $199 tablet is more like it. I still want a 10-incher though.

Last edited by carld; 09-27-2011 at 07:59 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #34
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
SQUUUUUEEEEEEEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I feel like a little girl right before Christmas.
Me too, which is so weird because I'm a dude.

Last edited by replica145; 09-27-2011 at 06:18 PM.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #35
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Also that datasheet shows the CPU to be a TI-OMAP3, not a Tegra. And it says (E-ink & LGD) next to the display. wuh. Edit: and 512 ram, contrary to the claim that the unit will share specs with the Playbook (1gig) It's anarchy all up in here.
this gets conflated all the time. The tablet will have an FFS LCD display. FFS is sort of the next step after IPS. The display is built by HYDIS who is a wholly owned subsidiary of Eink Holdings. SO they hear Eink(the company) LCD and they write EINK(the epaper) plus LCD as if you get both in one display. Even though they no this not to be true. This person must know it. If he doesnt there is no reason for anyone to continue to quote him him on his expertise in the field.

FFS is much better for outdoor viewing that most , if not all, other back lit LCDs
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #36
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
SQUUUUUEEEEEEEE!

Me too, which is so weird because I'm a dude.
But you squeee like a girl!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #37
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
I hope they don't abandon the DX line.
Unfortunately, I think you may be disappointed. I think the rumored 10.1" tablet Amazon intends to put out will take it's place. I sympathize, as I was an early (1st gen!) adopter of the DX, and a long time supporter of the format. However, since I got my Touchpad a month ago I have barely used my DX at all. The only thing I really miss is the 3G connectivity. Frankly, the Touchpad does everything else my DX does, and it does it better.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #38
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
ooh! I hope there's a new DX!
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #39
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
But you squeee like a girl!
I can squee with the best of 'em!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #40
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
this gets conflated all the time. The tablet will have an FFS LCD display. FFS is sort of the next step after IPS. The display is built by HYDIS who is a wholly owned subsidiary of Eink Holdings. SO they hear Eink(the company) LCD and they write EINK(the epaper) plus LCD as if you get both in one display. Even though they no this not to be true. This person must know it. If he doesnt there is no reason for anyone to continue to quote him him on his expertise in the field.

FFS is much better for outdoor viewing that most , if not all, other back lit LCDs
Ah. that clears that up. Much thanks.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #41
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Unfortunately, I think you may be disappointed. I think the rumored 10.1" tablet Amazon intends to put out will take it's place. I sympathize, as I was an early (1st gen!) adopter of the DX, and a long time supporter of the format. However, since I got my Touchpad a month ago I have barely used my DX at all. The only thing I really miss is the 3G connectivity. Frankly, the Touchpad does everything else my DX does, and it does it better.
I refuse to adapt to a back-lit screen.
Barely use my ipad or even my k3G for that matter.
I prefer the large eink format.
my DX better not break then...
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #42
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Tomorrow about Noon, NYC time, all Amazon Friends and Kindle Lovers everywhere can join hands and run down the sidewalks, and out into the streets, while singing:

"Bob Marley - I Can See Clearly Now

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day..."

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #43
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Tomorrow about Noon, NYC time, all Amazon Friends and Kindle Lovers everywhere can join hands and run down the sidewalks, and out into the streets, while singing:

"Bob Marley - I Can See Clearly Now

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day..."

Uh, that's definitely not Bob Marley.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Johnny Nash
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #45
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Johnny Nash
Thanks.
I remembered the song and melody but when I looked up the words and the singer. Google came up with Marley among others, but when I went back I found:

"it is a common misconception[by whom?]that the song was written and/or previously performed by Bob Marley, possibly based on the fact that The Wailers were the backing band on Nash's original recording. Marley wrote Nash's next single, "Stir It Up". Nash wrote this song himself and recorded it in London with members of The Average White Band.[citation needed]"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote