Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
Does it exist?

Is there technology yet or a reader that combines the back lighting of a device like the nook color or ipad and then the ability to switch to the e-ink reading style of a kindle?

That is truly a device i wouldn't hesitate to buy! How bout you?
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I don't believe there is such an ereader at this time, but I'm like you, I sure would go for that. Something that would have be e-ink with the option of turning on a backlight. I'm certainly not a techy person so I have no idea if this is even reasonable, but it sounds like a good idea to me.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Google "transflective". But it has not yet been able to meet its potential, judging by
most reports.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
The Garmin GPS'es have a transreflective screen. They do perform excellent in bright sunlight, as well as backlit in darkness.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Pixel Qi screen is probably the closest to what you are looking for. It is currently only available in the Notion Ink Adam tablet, which has not got good reviews (Engadget Reviews the Notion Ink Adam). There is a 7" version coming soon, see ZTE introduces 7” Tablet PC with Pixel Qi’s Sunlight Readable Low Power Display.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinaka View Post
Is there technology yet or a reader that combines the back lighting of a device like the nook color or ipad and then the ability to switch to the e-ink reading style of a kindle?

That is truly a device i wouldn't hesitate to buy! How bout you?
This is a very nice idea . In a sense, Microsoft had some "vaporware" (the Courier as it was known iirc) with a dual screen. I don't think it was E-ink + LCD but that would be really great! A logical next step for Barnes and Noble perhaps (since they already have an LCD area under the E-ink screen)? I would definitely buy that!
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Entourage edge and pocket edge are such devices. LCD Android on one side, e-ink on the other. Reader and journal only on the e-ink side (with wacom stylus input) but you can load an android reader on the LCD side and have the best of both. Too bad the company seems to be in financial trouble.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Somebody should make an ereader with LCD on one side for tablet apps, and eink on the other for ereading, with the processor, mobo, battery, etc sandwiched in between. I.e. Dual screen on one physical unit, not two. Put leather or plastic covers on hinge (like a spiral notebook) so to read either side you just flip the cover and the other side stays protected.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Seems to me that it would be easier to build in an LED edgelight for an eink screen.

But I'm no expert.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I read about a week ago (Can't remember where) that there was a duo screen (one on top of the other) that would be out soon. If I remember I will post it later.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #11
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
that would be interesting.. so you get the best of both
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Somebody should make an ereader with LCD on one side for tablet apps, and eink on the other for ereading, with the processor, mobo, battery, etc sandwiched in between. I.e. Dual screen on one physical unit, not two. Put leather or plastic covers on hinge (like a spiral notebook) so to read either side you just flip the cover and the other side stays protected.
Actually, I quite like the folding method of the pocket edge. I can have a book open on one side, and another app (ie dictionary, wiki, web search) open on the other. I can flip the screens around so that my writing hand is over whichever screen I happen to be working with (this is a system setting, not orientation sensor event, so it's not that convienient to do but it is possible). As well, the hinge is a full hinge so if I ever do wish to use it as you suggest, I can flip the screens back to back. There is even little rubber feet on both sides (back and front) of each screen, so they're protected no matter which side is down.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
according to patently apple, the cupertino based company we all love is working on some dual e-paper / lcd video display.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I use a TomTom a lot, and I find the day/night colour option a whiz - wonder if that sort of thing would work ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Seems to me that it would be easier to build in an LED edgelight for an eink screen.

But I'm no expert.
I don't understand why they don't do this. The first GBA SP had a frontlit LCD screen. My Lenovo work laptop has a built in LED light at the top of the screen that illuminates the keyboard at night.

E-ink just needs a a built in LED light. IMO the only thing I love about my wife's Kindle 3 is that nifty case with the built-in light powered from the Kindle.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote