Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #42736
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Trying to get my office ready for the absolute deluge of eviction cases we are about to be referred. The court system here is reopening fully on Monday and we expect to get tons of referrals from folks who get eviction notices on their door.

Doing legal work for the poor, especially during the pandemic, really shows you how some people view other people as no more than chattel or, dare I say it, human capital.
That's awesome that you do representation for the poor -- thanks for looking out for them!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #42737
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It's all so strange.

Until Tuesday mid afternoon we were gearing up for another battle. And by noon today the house is, finally, ours.

I'm still feeling all tense and the idea that is over is so incredibly strange and unreal. I expect it'll take a while to get used to this new reality.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #42738
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My sister and I just ordered an obscene amount of candy. We used to buy candy and a stall on the market on Saturday. But that seller stopped coming to our market and the candy stall replacing it doesn't have our favourites. So now we occasionally order our candy online. We thought today would be a good day.

Usually you get it within a couple of days. But on their website they warn it can take up to week, due to Corona measures in their warehouse and slower delivery by postal services.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #42739
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My sister and I just ordered an obscene amount of candy. We used to buy candy and a stall on the market on Saturday. But that seller stopped coming to our market and the candy stall replacing it doesn't have our favourites. So now we occasionally order our candy online. We thought today would be a good day.

Usually you get it within a couple of days. But on their website they warn it can take up to week, due to Corona measures in their warehouse and slower delivery by postal services.
Celebratory candy! I wish I had some for you or with you. Congrats again, Rumple. Enjoy that confectionary when it arrives.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:21 AM   #42740
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

My father talked to the solicitor this morning and he told my father that my uncle has said that he never wants to meet or have anything to do with either my father or my aunt.

Success!

Although I know it will hurt my aunt, who still seems to believe in a happy family that'll get along somehow.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #42741
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My father talked to the solicitor this morning and he told my father that my uncle has said that he never wants to meet or have anything to do with either my father or my aunt.

Success!

Although I know it will hurt my aunt, who still seems to believe in a happy family that'll get along somehow.
Uh...hooray? (It's hard to know what to say to that one! I mean...you know, it seems sad, but given everything that's happened, it seems great, too!)

Hitch
Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #42742
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:

Success!

I wonder how this will affect your cousins, his kids.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:15 AM   #42743
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I wonder how this will affect your cousins, his kids.
Not much is my guess. We never had much contact and whatever contact we had was never initiated by them. Unless they needed your help (moving, electrics, etc). It has always been like that. Whenever the family got together or all the grandchildren got together they would keep to themselves and hardly interact with the rest of the family.

During the fire one of them lived literally around the corner. At my grandmother's funeral she claimed she didn't know about the fire. It made national news. There were firetrucks parked outside her bedroom window. About six months after the fire her, by then, ex boyfriend came by and apologized they didn't come and help after the fire. I think she knew what their father was planning to do.

Then we had the drama last year. They also didn't show up at my cousin's get together. One of the twins claimed they didn't know about it, I know that my cousin invited them all personally via text, email and Facebook message.

Last summer I ran into the oldest in the supermarket twice. While I greeted him he ignored me.

A couple of weeks ago one of the twins came by the store. Although I don't think she came to our town just to "spy" on us. But she did ask how the store was doing during the Corona crisis. I'm convinced that my answer of that we were doing okay might have influenced my uncle's decision to sign quickly. If I had told her we weren't doing well he might have tried to drag it out, making it costs us more money.

Both my sister and I have decided not to contact them anymore. I think the same goes for my aunt's daughters (not sure about her son). If they want any contact it'll have to come from them and when that happens I decide whether I want to or not.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #42744
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I could have bought two of my first home for the price of a typical SUV these days. Yowza. (Even pickup trucks seem to be ridiculously priced!).

Anyway...grumble. Maybe I'll find a nice used car that can last another 10 (years). Grrrrrrrrrr...
Cars depreciate about 40% in the first three years. If you're going to keep the car for a decade or more, buying new car just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of people who get a new car every three years or so and trade in at the dealer. Buy one of their trade-ins.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #42745
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It's official. My father just signed and the house is ours!

I'm on my own at the store now. I don't think that besides helping customers I'll be very useful today.
Oh, many, many congratulations!

(And now make sure that your parents have made wills, so that there will be no nasty disputes later on...)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #42746
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Congrats! You guys have lived to see the end of an almost Dickensian legal process in the courts of chancery. At least it did not go past your generation like Jarndyce.
You should try a suit in the US Court Of Claims. One I was involved with took over 10 years, with the main principles mostly dead by the end. . .

I think the only reason it got settled was that the government lawyer wanted to retire, and coukldn't easily pass it on to another attorney. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #42747
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Cars depreciate about 40% in the first three years. If you're going to keep the car for a decade or more, buying new car just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of people who get a new car every three years or so and trade in at the dealer. Buy one of their trade-ins.
Yes, I know. The fact that cars are depreciating assets just makes my head explode. Might as wll throw money into the barbecue pit and burn it. I'm cheap that way; putting money into assets that appreciate is one thing; into something like a car? Utter waste of valuable capital.

I keep my cars about 18 years on average and the current one is 22.

Hitch
Old 06-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #42748
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
You should try a suit in the US Court Of Claims. One I was involved with took over 10 years, with the main principles mostly dead by the end. . .

I think the only reason it got settled was that the government lawyer wanted to retire, and coukldn't easily pass it on to another attorney. . .
I think my record, when I was in corporate law, was case that stretched over 20 years. I was on the last 6 years of it.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:27 AM   #42749
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, I know. The fact that cars are depreciating assets just makes my head explode. Might as wll throw money into the barbecue pit and burn it. I'm cheap that way; putting money into assets that appreciate is one thing; into something like a car? Utter waste of valuable capital.

I keep my cars about 18 years on average and the current one is 22.

Hitch
Not bad! I just got rid of the old (2003) Dodge Caravan and bought a new Honda Odyssey -- just in time to beat the coronavirus headaches. Literally a few weeks before its 17th birthday. It had about 190,000 hard, salt-laden miles on it, so I don't think it owed us anything.

I also hate buying cars. In the past I have gone to a dealership that has a flat price, no haggle policy. The price has always been in the "good deal" ballpark as noted in Consumer Reports. But that dealer is in Philadelphia and I didn't want to drive that far. This time I went through the Costco car program. Still happy with the price.

Good luck with yours!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:01 AM   #42750
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I've had a fairly productive morning. I've been to the supermarket. Made pico de gallo, threw it out because it was too salty (added less salt then required, not sure what went wrong) and put together a bundle of cardboard and paper for the recycle pick up tomorrow.

It's going to be a hot day today, 27C, and it's already warming up. So I'm going to take it easy and diamond paint whilst listening to the audio book of Stephen King's It. I should be able to finish the painting of my psychedelic sunflower today.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?