Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Question Why Such High Sony E-reader Prices?

Looking on ebay I note that the late model Sony E-readers such as the T2, T3 and 950 seem to be listed for some pretty outrageous prices even though they have minimal Sony support any more. One seller lists a new PRS-T2 for $240, reduced from $399. Do people actually pay those prices? Even a PRS-600 is listed for $420 and a new T3 for $308.

I realize that some ebay sellers are total optimists in their asking prices but does any one buy these to me grossly overpriced units, and if so why?
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Are those new or used? either way, seems crazy to me. They didn't cost anywhere near that much back in the day when I bought mine.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #3
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mostly claimed to be new old stock items. Even so considering that Sony readers never had integral screen lighting or screen resolutions comparable to most current Kobo and Kindle models, some of the prices seem a bit outrageous.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:54 AM   #4
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
because they are (very) good.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:52 AM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
My current reader is a Sony PRS-T2, an upgrade from my original PRS-505. I love both, they are excellent devices, but if I had to buy a new reader I wouldn't think twice: I would buy a Kindle Paperwhite.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I was thinking of this the other day. IIRC I bought by Sony PRS T-1 at a local Sony Outlet during the closing sale for under $50. I also got a couple of lighted cases for it for under $10. From participation in another thread where I mentioned that unlighted Sony screens had crispier screens/darker fonts than lighted kindles I began to consider getting the PRS T-3 however the price is definitely not right.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
My current reader is a Sony PRS-T2, an upgrade from my original PRS-505. I love both, they are excellent devices, but if I had to buy a new reader I wouldn't think twice: I would buy a Kindle Paperwhite.
My previous Reader is a T1. I didn't think twice about replacing it with a Kobo Aura H2O. I would highly recommend the new model of the H2O. Going from a Sony Reader to a PW3 is not as good as going from a Sony Reader to an H2O2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I was thinking of this the other day. IIRC I bought by Sony PRS T-1 at a local Sony Outlet during the closing sale for under $50. I also got a couple of lighted cases for it for under $10. From participation in another thread where I mentioned that unlighted Sony screens had crispier screens/darker fonts than lighted kindles I began to consider getting the PRS T-3 however the price is definitely not right.
Crisper screens? No a hope in heck. I've compared the T1 to the H2O and in no way was the screen better. The screen was darker and fuzzier. The H2O has better contrast and is much sharper. If you disagree, I think you need your eyes checked.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I think they're dreaming if they think they'll get those prices for Sonys. Most of my have come from shopgoodwill.com and I really haven't paid more than $20 for most of them.

My T3 did come from Ebay and I got it for around $40. The 650 I got back in the day for $99 refurbished. Bought the Nook HD new when OfficeMax was clearing them out. My Glaxy tab I just bought brand new and the Paperwhite was won in a contest.

The rest of my collection came from shopgoodwill and my maximum was $20 on all of them so some were less. I might have gone a couple of dollars more for the NST with glowlight.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My previous Reader is a T1. I didn't think twice about replacing it with a Kobo Aura H2O. I would highly recommend the new model of the H2O. Going from a Sony Reader to a PW3 is not as good as going from a Sony Reader to an H2O2.
Probably right, but in my country I have yet to see a shop that sells Kobo hardware. On the other hand PW are more or less available and I have played with one and in general liked it.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #11
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
If you're interested in purchasing one of these Sony readers, try offering the buyer a $100, bet they'll go for it!
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sony Readers are not worth $100.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I realize that some ebay sellers are total optimists in their asking prices but does any one buy these to me grossly overpriced units, and if so why?
I guess because they're getting rarer and people are collecting them. When I bought my T2s (sold one later), they were factory refurbished on Tiger Direct for (I think) about $30. But you can still find them fairly inexpensively used ($60-$70 range) on eBay if you keep watching. As for the older Sonys, PRS-300s and 600s can be downright cheap. I don't think they made a lot of the PRS-950s, so that's probably why their prices are so high.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

More reasonable prices listed too which is why I wonder about the ridiculous ones. I got my T1 for $45 including shipping and have a 950 with a ding in the screen on the way for $50. Replacement screens still available per ebay listings at reasonable prices if I decide to replace the screen on it. Also a semi reasonable priced NOS T2 on the way.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony Readers are not worth $100.
Not to you, but others' opinions differ. I wouldn't pay $100 for a Sony eReader either. Of course, the most I've ever paid for an eReader is $75, and that was for my first one, a Nook Simple Touch (new) in 2011.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote