Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Congratulations, Kovid, and thank you for all of your hard work, and a big thanks to all other contributors as well!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Thank you Kovid. I have never seen any other freeware updated and supported as much as Calibre. Thank you, again for all of your hard work.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Woo-Hoo!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Thank you Kovid. I have never seen any other freeware updated and supported as much as Calibre. Thank you, again for all of your hard work.
Apache
I have to agree with you there Apache. Not only is it updated more often but the program seems to keep good pace with changes in OS as well. A lot of programs cease to function (or at least to function well) as time goes on but not Calibre. I don't know many freeware programs that that can be said about. I can remember asking a question about joining epub files together a few yrs back and now of course it's possible to do that. I don't know how long that addition to the program had been in development, but (I think) it made an already great program even better.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #20
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Fantastic job! Calibre is the heart of my ebook library and I can't imagine ebook life without it. As soon as I actually get a job again, I'll drop in another donation as celebration.

Woohoo! Party Time!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Congrats Kovid!

Here are four (out of 1000s?) of possible interface looks under the calibre 1.0 banner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	458.0 KB
ID:	109832   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre2.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	109833   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre3.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	109835   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre4.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	109836  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-23-2013 at 10:09 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #22
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Congratulations! You all, and most of all of course Kovid have done an amazing job in building calibre and making it even better with each release! I can't imagine managing and reading my ebooks without calibre and I hope it stays around as long as there are ebooks to read and catalogue .

The greatest strength of calibre (other than the great community of course) is how many useful features, big and small, it has. Of the features introduced between 0.9 and 1.0, I especially love the Polish Books and Edit TOC features, both of which I use all the time. (The coloured rows are also very handy, not sure if they have been around longer though.) Looking forward to the new cover grid and faster database code .

I also love the weekly stable updates, I wish every open source project did that! Though I have to admit I might wait till next week before I update this time, just in case you guys missed a vital bug in the new database backend . I know, it's very unlikely after the long test period, but some obscure bugs tend to only be found once a new release is deployed beyond the beta testers. So everyone updating now: Make sure you have backed up your library .

Last edited by Dylan Tomorrow; 08-23-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #23
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
An awesome accomplishment in so many ways, and a tool that I rely on personally.

Software reaches greatness when it's solid, fun to use and it accomplishes an important purpose. Thumbs up on all three counts, and a big thanks for your efforts!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Dylan Tomorrow: Given the vast complexity of calibre, no beta period, no matter how long would ever give 100% coverage, so there are likely to be bugs. The hope is that those bugs are mostly obscure corner cases. The main code paths in the new backend have been pretty extensively tested, both by beta testers and by a fairly comprehensive test suite I wrote as I was developing the new backend. But, there are never any guarantees...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #25
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
@kovidgoyal: That's my hope too. I'm just gonna wait till next week anyway, because I am overcautious like that .
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
About half a million: http://www.ohloh.net/p/calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ohloh.net/p/calibre
... took an estimated 94 years of effort (COCOMO model) starting with its first commit in October, 2006 ending with its most recent commit about 20 hours ago
Incredible feat!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #27
Yarrow
Enthusiast
Yarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500& PRS505; iPad; and Kindle
Brilliant upgrade but need to know how to access the brilliant virtual libraries via calibre server - using this with Marvin on iPad? Thanks.
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I doubt Marvin has support for virtual libraries. If you browse to the content server using a browser, you can simply click the virtual libraries button on the start page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
Oh, Huzzah!!!! I love Calibre and talk it up to all and sundry, although I frequently get "Oh, that's too complicated"(which is baloney) I really think that Calibre has improved the popularity of ebooks--it certainly made them more appealing to me. I just wish I could afford to give you as big a donation as it's worth!

Well done!!!

Rene
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Congratulations Kovid and everyone else who are involved!! Thank you all for providing what is undoubtedly the most amazing freeware program I know of, as well as far and away the best supported one. It's frankly almost beyond comprehension that a program of Calibre's quality can be free in this day and age.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote