Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #31
h1ro
Enthusiast
h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo HD
for the jump to page in file formats that have no hard breaks you could have some approximation based on total number of characters or lines.

There's no option for justification in html files. Even pdfs (which should be much more problematic because of the unflexible format) sometimes look better, even with reflowing
h1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1ro View Post
for the jump to page in file formats that have no hard breaks you could have some approximation based on total number of characters or lines.

There's no option for justification in html files. Even pdfs (which should be much more problematic because of the unflexible format) sometimes look better, even with reflowing
Nice thoughts, let us know when you get it implemented.

Would still like to hear the response of the person who made the "code this for me" request.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #33
Eithrial
Enthusiast
Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Eithrial knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And how can that target location be identified in the file?
Many of these formats do not have "hard" page breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1
Would still like to hear the response of the person who made the "code this for me" request.
First, maybe what I have written sound like some kind of "order" to make some feature specially for me, but it's not like that. I really appreciate all work made by KOReader developers, and many other people while creating other software to improve kindle. All I wanted to say, that it would be nice to see this feature and that I don't know any reason why it should be hard to do for somebody who knows more or less about programming. Of course I know very little and I may be mistaken.

Second, I was talking mainly about pdf's which I think has page breaks, hasn't they?
Eithrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #34
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Sounds reasonable.

Perhaps this could be listed as a feature request on the github page?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #35
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep, that would be a good place. Sometimes, it is a bit hard to distill ideas and suggestions out of a discussion. So, everybody feel welcome to file such things as issues on Github!
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #36
daffy
daffy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And how can that target location be identified in the file?
Many of these formats do not have "hard" page breaks.
Without wishing to extend any support for this request, I might have an interpretation that would be workable with HTML:

Imagine a HTML file rendered to a virtual canvas featuring exactly the same width as the device's physical width. Then paginate the virtual canvas height by the device height. Voilá - paging

(The implementation would probably consume heaps of memory and CPU, not good).

Alternatively, allow for relative navigation in HTML, e.g. "plain" page down, "faster" page down (== 3x plain page down), "fastest" page down (== 9x plain page down) with exponential scrolling behaviour. This allows for faster navigation in what is inherently a single linear representation. For that to work, it wouldn't even be necessary to render to the output device. Rendering to a bitmap and blipping that in (in case the Kindle graphics stack supports that) would be sufficient, so this could be memory conservative.

Again, not supporting the feature request, just airing ideas
daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
daffy
daffy began at the beginning.

Manual cropping of PDF - user interaction?

I am having a bit of a challenge to accurately crop PDF files on my Kindle Paperwhite.

My interpretation of the cropping feature user interaction setup is that touching will assign the top-left and/or(?) bottom-right positions.

Now, touching with any accuracy on that screen seems to be a bit of a challenge (for me). Perhaps the following addition would allow for better cropping:

Take the auto-detected frame as the baseline. Split the screen into the four quadrants, each corresponding to one corner of the crop area. Swipe up/down in the quadrant to adjust the crop rectangle up/down; make this relatively insensitive to user input ("decelerated" touch).

I suppose that the Kindle supports swipe and touch as independent actions?
daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #38
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy View Post

I suppose that the Kindle supports swipe and touch as independent actions?
It does.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #39
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy View Post
Without wishing to extend any support for this request, I might have an interpretation that would be workable with HTML:

Imagine a HTML file rendered to a virtual canvas featuring exactly the same width as the device's physical width. Then paginate the virtual canvas height by the device height. Voilá - paging

(The implementation would probably consume heaps of memory and CPU, not good).

Alternatively, allow for relative navigation in HTML, e.g. "plain" page down, "faster" page down (== 3x plain page down), "fastest" page down (== 9x plain page down) with exponential scrolling behaviour. This allows for faster navigation in what is inherently a single linear representation. For that to work, it wouldn't even be necessary to render to the output device. Rendering to a bitmap and blipping that in (in case the Kindle graphics stack supports that) would be sufficient, so this could be memory conservative.

Again, not supporting the feature request, just airing ideas

Thanks for the brain strome

CREngine internally has the concept of virtual page. We can do navigation based
on virtual page of course. But the problem is virtual changes when you
retypeset the document(say zoom in). So it's a relative value and very tricky
to deal with.

What we did in kindlepdfviewer is we use percentage inside document for
navigation. So you will always jump to roughly the same location no matter how
you typeset the document. I think KOReader will also take this approach once
the goto feature is implemented.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #40
Aj74
Enthusiast
Aj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I thank all those who made the project.
Wishlist (if possible:
1. function searches the text (pdf, epub);
2. function "Go to page" (already asked ...)
3. link operation epub

Thank you.
PS: sorry for using the translator of "google"
Aj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #41
wisecrick
Enthusiast
wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KT B011
Work very well! Good job!

One issue:
It's difficult to popup the home context menu on the file manager screen, so it's difficult to quit the application.
wisecrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #42
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecrick View Post
Work very well! Good job!

One issue:
It's difficult to popup the home context menu on the file manager screen, so it's difficult to quit the application.
Is this the "Known Issue" as listed in post #2 ? or something else?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #43
wisecrick
Enthusiast
wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.wisecrick can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KT B011
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Is this the "Known Issue" as listed in post #2 ? or something else?
Oh yes, it is.
I make a little modification to reader.lua to correct the issue (I almost know nothing about lua ^_^)

Code:
has_close_button = false 
->
has close_button = true

function FileManager:onClose(), insert
exitReader()
before
return true

Last edited by twobob; 04-06-2013 at 02:33 PM.
wisecrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #44
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecrick View Post
Oh yes, it is.
I make a little modification to reader.lua to correct the issue (I almost know nothing about lua ^_^)

redader.lua, line 151:
from
Code:
has_close_button = false
to
Code:
has close_button = true
redader.lua, line 173:
Code:
	function FileManager:onClose()
		--UIManager:quit()
		return true
	end
to:

Code:
	function FileManager:onClose()
		--UIManager:quit()
		exitReader()
		return true
	end
Thanks for this tip.To have a bigger "close icon" I also changed 68th line of frontend\ui\widget\menu.lua to something like that:
Code:
		text = "-[ X ]-    ",
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #45
PaulFreund
PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.PaulFreund understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thank you very much, this wonderful software makes reading PDFs on the kindle bearable for me! (Duokan has similiar PDF capabilities, but its closed and has a few drawbacks such as loading time)

I would like to return the favour, but at the moment I don't have much time or money. I saw the source of koreader-base is well written and in c/c++. So if you need someone for testing or a debug session or even small implementations i'd be glad to devote a few hours.

I know this kind of offer is hard to evaluate but if you're interested just send me a task you'd like to get done.

Thanks again,

Paul
PaulFreund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, koreader, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch