Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #76
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
A naughty fellow would use this on you.

I'm, of course, nice.
LOL
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #77
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Yes, it's nicer on the iPad, of course. Very nice design.

I just prefer the way river of news works.

As I said, choices.
I am one of the lucky guys who got a HP Touchpad 32GB for $149.
Can't help smiling :-))

p-reader native is good, sideloaded books on the kindle app works with "Kindle Import" only up to a certain page-limit and i still did not figure it out, how to get it tweaked to get them all complete.

There is also "readMe" and "Book Reader", but they are all not satisfying.

epub's i usually read with my sony psr 505, my nc rooted or my nook touch (even sometimes modified on my palm live drive).
when reading them on the touchpad i use "pReader native"

for reading pdf i bought "Quickoffice" and "Picsel smart office". first one is also good for reading MS-Office Stuff, later one can not only read them, but you can work with them like the "Office to go" on the palm life drive.
They are both better than the pdf-reader, that came with the Touchpad!

in the end, the Touchpad is a great thing to take on vacation, with the build in mic and headphones even VOIP is possible - but i will always include an e-ink device for smooth reading.

Battery life on the HP Touchpad is great. on my last trip from Berlin to New York (9 1/2 hours) I watched one whole season of "sons of anarchy" and half of "Ghost rider", before it run out of juice

keep reading and support Kovid with Callibre

all the best
Harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #78
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
We have a 64GB and a 32GB. Just hacked ICS onto it, so I have the best of both worlds. Definitely the best deal in electronics ever.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
We have a 64GB and a 32GB. Just hacked ICS onto it, so I have the best of both worlds. Definitely the best deal in electronics ever.
A friend showed me his TP with ICS yesterday. Looks great, so I plan on doing the same.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #80
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A friend showed me his TP with ICS yesterday. Looks great, so I plan on doing the same.
I've seen the videos of ICS on TP and it does look good, but I'm more of a beta person myself. I'm going to hold off for a while, maybe for one more webOS update.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #81
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I've seen the videos of ICS on TP and it does look good, but I'm more of a beta person myself. I'm going to hold off for a while, maybe for one more webOS update.
I'm anxious to get Pulse on my TP, so I'll pull the trigger now.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #82
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
How do you like ICS? My iconia and incredible2 are both going to get updates and I wanted to know what you really like about it?
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #83
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am using the CherryKang 0.4.8 and am quite happy with it -- but not very impressed either. As OS's go it is hard to beat WebOS, of course. My main reason for getting ICS are:

1.several browser options.
2.A number of apps I want are terrible in WebOS or not even available.
3.Better language support

Current problems with ICS on the Touchpad include:
1.No hardware acceleration (thus no HD video)
2.No VPN
3.Lousy flash performance -- WebOS works much better here
4.No camera
5.Battery life

I am sure they will fix these soon.

Some people experience Wifi connection problems, though I don't have any. Honeycomb apps work fine. Overall I would say it is nice, but not that much different from 2.2 on my phone that I would get excited about it. Perfectly usable, though. I just had a few crashes watching video in the browser and once with Zinio. Every time just the app closed, the system kept going. Just more options for us.

Last edited by HansTWN; 02-18-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #84
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for sharing. I already have Wi-Fi problems. I get disconnected constantly. I love my iconia except for that. It only takes me 5 seconds to reconnect, but it is sooooo annoying. So do you mind telling me which browsers you tried and which won you like most?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #85
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Thank you for sharing. I already have Wi-Fi problems. I get disconnected constantly. I love my iconia except for that. It only takes me 5 seconds to reconnect, but it is sooooo annoying. So do you mind telling me which browsers you tried and which won you like most?
Try the CherryKang ROM on the Touchpad, it uses a special Wifi fix. Some people also say you should set the channel on your router to between 1 and 6.

Browsers I recommend are Dolphin HD, Skyfire, Opera Mobile for Wifi. Miren is good, too. On my phone I use Opera Mini to save on data charges.

To read up I suggest you take a look at xda-developers.com.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #86
Venus
Country girl

Ha, I just registered there today. Sorry about my typing, I am typing right handed while I eat a Popsicle and I am left handed. They sent out one of the nicest welcoming emails that I have ever gotten. Gentlemanly geeks.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #87
HansTWN
Wizard

A new ICS ROM with hardware acceleration is out at http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18843-rel...od-9-touchpad/. Makes a world of difference, watching flash video now works as well as on a PC. And HD video also runs without a hitch.

Now I am waiting for that multi-tasking hack to be perfected, the VPN, microphone, and camera to work. Then the OS will be almost as good as WebOS and the apps a lot better.

Last edited by HansTWN; 02-22-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Tags
hp touchpad