Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #16
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
at my age the backlight hurts the eyes, too harsh
You can turn the backlight down though. In a windows mobile device you simply go into settings>system>backlight>configure.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Doesn't that hurt visibility in normal lighting, andym? I know it does on my Palm ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 12:41 AM   #18
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

This reminds me of when the Gameboy Advance came out and everyone complained about not having the backlight.
Some enterprising guys developed an internal lighting solution called the Afterburner that worked and sold so well that it forced Nintendo to light up their screens in the newer models.
I've owned the new Sony reader but sold mine because I need the convenience of a built in backlit screen.
I've read tons of books on my reb1100 but never completed one book on the Sony for much the same reasons as the first poster in this topic.
I do most of my reading at night and in bed. My wife is a very light sleeper and can not sleep with even most booklights on.
But with the room in total darkness and my reb1100 backlight turned down to its lowest setting we both are pretty happy and the backlight is not harsh at all like most pocket pcs that i have used.
REB1100 rules for now but I wouldn't be surprised if some new group of enterprising types comes up with an internal lighting solution for the Sony reader... that would be awesome and I would probably be first in line to buy one.
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:01 AM   #19
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Yeah, I used to want a back-lit ebook reader device but I fell for the Sony Reader and I am still oh so happy with it. I'm sure in the future devices will provide some sort of lighting solution. But yes, *you* have to decide whether e-ink will meed *your* needs.

BTW guys, this is what I want to stick on my Reader:

http://lunabrite.com/ecosystem.php

That'd rock!!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:48 AM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Well maybe one of us can get a set of strips and try it out on either a Sony or a Cybook.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Yeah, I used to want a back-lit ebook reader device but I fell for the Sony Reader and I am still oh so happy with it. I'm sure in the future devices will provide some sort of lighting solution. But yes, *you* have to decide whether e-ink will meed *your* needs.

That'd rock!!
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2007, 04:11 AM   #21
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

The Afterburner used a "light guide" to illuminate the screen.
Here is a web site with some before and after pictures.
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gba/backlit.htm

And here is another web site that sells light guides for other handheld systems:
http://www.mash-mods.com/products/Fr.../frontlightkit

Nintendo did a much better job with "light guide" technology on the GBA SP.
However, "light guides" can wash out the screen and can also cause a trapezoid effect across the screen.
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Emailed Gregor at Mash-Mods... He currently works with 2.5" front-lighting panels but he has a source who may well be interested in the idea of creating front-light systems for eInk readers.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by humandroid View Post
The Afterburner used a "light guide" to illuminate the screen.
Here is a web site with some before and after pictures.
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gba/backlit.htm

And here is another web site that sells light guides for other handheld systems:
http://www.mash-mods.com/products/Fr.../frontlightkit

Nintendo did a much better job with "light guide" technology on the GBA SP.
However, "light guides" can wash out the screen and can also cause a trapezoid effect across the screen.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #23
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
any response yet?
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:

That'd rock!!
I got samples of Lunabrite!!!!

They *clearly* cannot function as a display lighting system!!!

Sorry, but they're just bright enough to be seen in darkness. They work perfectly as a walkway light, but that's it.

Derek
Old 09-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps grimo1re just wants to be able to find his Reader in the dark .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I got samples of Lunabrite!!!!

They *clearly* cannot function as a display lighting system!!!
How'd you get samples? I'm curious about them for ... well, for several things.

Is it just suped up glow in the dark stuff or what? The site says it can be "re-charged" how does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps grimo1re just wants to be able to find his Reader in the dark .
Ahem, her Reader.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Whatever .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
How'd you get samples? I'm curious about them for ... well, for several things.

Is it just suped up glow in the dark stuff or what? The site says it can be "re-charged" how does that work?

Ahem, her Reader.
Ummm... I emailed them and asked for samples?!?

Really, it was *just that simple*.

And it's just souped-up glow-in-the-dark stuff. Very flexible and I can say that even the light of a 100W cfl bulb - exposing for just 30 minutes - is enough to recharge the strip for 6-8 hours of glow.

Derek
Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #29
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Well, if it "clearly" can't function as a lighting system then I still think It'd look cool on my reader. I want samples too!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #30
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Well, if it "clearly" can't function as a lighting system then I still think It'd look cool on my reader. I want samples too!
It would certainly make *quite* a fashion statement!

And it would make finding one's reader in a dark room *much* easier!

Derek