Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Myergin
Myergin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Kindle for Mac transfer to Calibre

I saw a post from several years ago telling how to transfer Kindle books in Kindle for MAC to Calibre. It made no sense to me. Does anyone have easy to follow directions (directions for dummies) on how to transfer a down loaded Kindle book from Amazon that is in my Kindle for Mac system to Calibre so I can convert it to NOOK format. I get free books from Amazon from several sources and I would like to be able to read them on my NOOK.
Myergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:59 AM   #2
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I'm away and won't be home until tomorrow so I'm doing this from memory. The main issue is finding the 'My Kindle Content' folder which is buried somewhere.

The best way to do that is to go to Finder and search for it, and make an alias of the folder, either by highlighting the folder and doing 'Cmd-M' or selecting 'Make Alias' from the pop-up menu, and then dragging the alias to the desktop (or to your favourite locations list in the left side bar in a directory window). Make sure the aliased version is sorted by date, most recent first. (You only need to do this step once.)

Go to 'Manage my content and devices' at Amazon, and locate your newly-purchased content. Again, it is useful to sort by date, most recent first. If you use collections in your Kindle app, it is useful to add the content to a collection as you can see which hasn't been added to one easily. Then select the content you want to download (10 items can be downloaded at once), and select 'Deliver' and make sure 'Kindle for Mac' is ticked in the list. You can make it your default device, but if you read on a phone or other portable device, that's not very useful.

Now go to the Mac, and open up Kindle for Mac and do a sync. You may need to select individual titles and download them as well to make sure the number of titles on device matches the number in the cloud.

Once you have done that, you just open up Calibre, select 'add books' and go to wherever you put the aliased 'My Kindle Content' folder. You'll notice a lot of files with the same gibberish name but different formats, but only one version of the file is not greyed out - the .awz3 version. Select those, and click the open button. Calibre then imports the files, which will include updated versions of previously imported files, which you can choose to redownload if you desire.

Note that this only works if you don't have the most recent Kindle for Mac version installed (that's the version with KFX8 not AWZ3 book files). If you do, go to the Calibre forum here, and find the instructions for downgrading and make sure you don't have automatic updates checked. Hope this helps.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If the books have DRM, Calibre won't be able to convert them. You have to remove the DRM first. We can't give detailed instructions about removing DRM here. Go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle conversion, kindle to mac to nook, mac computer