Device: Kobo Aura
Bookworm: A simple ebook reader for Elementary OS

Elementary OS have a new ebook reader called Bookworm

https://babluboy.github.io/bookworm/
jony08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jony08 View Post
Elementary OS have a new ebook reader called Bookworm

https://babluboy.github.io/bookworm/
I take it that this is the same Bookworm application whose development stalled back in Jan. 2014?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
If it is I'd say it's un-stalled now. 162 commits since January, most recent commit today (15th) is pretty decent activity.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm under-whelmed.

I'll stick with my ebook reader, a computer, and calibre.

Ooopps. Almost forgot: And a glass of wine.

Ooopps. Almost forgot, again: And some soothing Paul Desmond music.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Isn't Elementary OS Ubuntu based? So if Elementary OS can install and run Bookworm than any Ubuntu based OS should be able to right?

I have Calibre but it was always nice to have choice.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Isn't Elementary OS Ubuntu based? So if Elementary OS can install and run Bookworm than any Ubuntu based OS should be able to right?

I have Calibre but it was always nice to have choice.
Quoting the developers

" Bookworm is available as a PPA for Ubuntu (16.04 / Xenial) and other Ubuntu based systems. Open Terminal and run the following comands for installation

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bookworm-team/bookworm
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bookworm"
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
If it is I'd say it's un-stalled now. 162 commits since January, most recent commit today (15th) is pretty decent activity.
I gave on Bookworm in mid-2014 when nothing seemed to be happening. Did some testing on the current version using a Ubuntu VM and still not impressed.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Quoting the developers

" Bookworm is available as a PPA for Ubuntu (16.04 / Xenial) and other Ubuntu based systems. Open Terminal and run the following comands for installation

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bookworm-team/bookworm
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bookworm"
Sadly on my Ubuntu VM (16.10 Yakkety Yak, VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.7 under Windows 10 x64), Calibre's reader does a better job of handling DRM and reading multiple ebook formats. My humble personal opinion to which you are all entitled.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 AM   #9
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly on my Ubuntu VM (16.10 Yakkety Yak, VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.7 under Windows 10 x64), Calibre's reader does a better job of handling DRM and reading multiple ebook formats. My humble personal opinion to which you are all entitled.
Just loaded it an sadly on my Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak is no improvement over yours. So it goes.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:18 AM   #10
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I gave on Bookworm in mid-2014 when nothing seemed to be happening. Did some testing on the current version using a Ubuntu VM and still not impressed.
My point wasn't that it was good just that it was still an alive project.

Are you sure by the way that this is the same project? I couldn't find any references prior to 2016. Even if the project had been imported to github from somewhere else, usually there'll be traces of that.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Yeah but if Calibre went away or stopped being supported you would be happy that there are alternatives even if they're not as good.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
My point wasn't that it was good just that it was still an alive project.

Are you sure by the way that this is the same project? I couldn't find any references prior to 2016. Even if the project had been imported to github from somewhere else, usually there'll be traces of that.
Odd, a quick Google search came up with multiple references to Bookworm prior to 2016.

Check the following links: BookWorm This link is from after the switch to github/weblate.

Is there an epub reader that integrates well with elementary OS?

The earliest reference (in Italian with the same Romeo and Juliet screenshot that many references to Bookworm use) seems to date from 2011: BookWorm, il nuovo ebook reader di elementary OS!.

A reference to Bookworm and the development stall which matches up with my memory: ‘GNOME Books’ Promises User-Friendly eBook App for Desktop Users

Given the number of references to 'babluboy' in various links, I would tend to believe that the Bookworm referenced is the same app with a very slow development cycle which makes sense given the author is working on Bookworm in his spare time. A commodity which all too often is hard to find.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Yeah but if Calibre went away or stopped being supported you would be happy that there are alternatives even if they're not as good.
Given that Kovid Goyal has made Calibre open source, I suspect that if for any reason he had to stop work on Calibre, that development would continue. Personally, I do have some issues with Calibre but those are my personal issues with Swiss Army knife applications.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:22 AM   #14
latepaul
Wizard

Quote:
Odd,
Sounds like it is the same project.

I think it's got promise but it's clearly got a way to go. Calibre is a clear leader in the field but Calibre was never going to fit in with Elementary's house-style.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:47 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I don't get is what's the big deal? Are you going to switch to Elementary OS? If not, then who cares about Bookworm?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookworm, ebook, ebooks, elementary, reader