Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #91
qwerty12
qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Xiaomi inkPalm 5
I've had my inkPalm 5 for a couple of days now and I am happy. It won't replace my Boox as the device I take out - my Boox's screen is much better in sunlight for one and if I have the space to comfortably use it, I do like having a bigger screen - but at night, it's the inkPalm all the way for me.
The backlighting is actually pretty good. The text contrast is good. It's nice enough to hold (although part of me wishes it was 5" instead) and the volume buttons are great, so I'm able to turn off changing pages by touch in Moon Reader without a second thought.

Many of the stock apps can be uninstalled from the original launcher; for the rest, there's ADB (well, I used ADB AppControl because it shows applications' icons).

There's no Google Play store (certified or otherwise, which isn't a surprise given this is a device meant solely for China), so I grabbed F-Droid. On my E Ink devices, I prefer the unofficial F-Droid Classic (with Foxy Droid being a runner-up).

I replaced the stock browser with SmartCookieWeb, a fork of the Lightning browser. Both Bromite and Ungoogled Chromium crash on start up. With only 1GB of RAM present, I didn't try Firefox.

I disabled the Sogou input method it came with. After trying Simple Keyboard, OpenBoard and AnySoftKeyboard (which was nearly perfect), I settled on FlorisBoard. FlorisBoard does suggestions but more importantly, it lets you turn off the flashing of keys as you press them. On my Boox, Gboard actually gives me a decent experience here because it doesn't flash the keys for long. The only thing I cannot work out in FlorisBoard is how to add a simple line border to the keys.

Using the USB-C adapter that came with my Samsung phone, I was able to plug in a FAT32-formatted 32GB USB stick into my inkPalm. The 23b test text file I had on there was able to be read fine and I was able to copy a 300 KB file onto the stick with Total Commander. Exhaustive testing, I know. Though opening (I think Moon Reader attempted to handle it) the autorun.ico file the formatting tool placed onto there eventually caused the whole device to lock up.

I'm using "E-Ink Launcher" which works well, but I'm going to seek out alternatives, because I don't like that apps' icons can't be manually sorted and I also miss a way to jump to an application's management page when tapping-and-holding. (I also see the original launcher at times; I suspect this device is being too eager in killing the replacement launcher. I did see an option to exempt applications from "optimisation" in the settings and I'll give that a go with Google Translate.)

scrcpy works but the screen is mirrored - a quick hack to scrcpy to flip it back works.

What I do not like:
  • I'm not usually someone who cares about something being plastic, but the plastic used on the back here is very slippery. This slides out of your hands really easily. Another reason why I couldn't use this outside.
  • I don't see the point of adding a microphone to the device. When there's no speaker or headphone jack, the microphone's presence makes me nervous
  • I have no idea what Xiaomi excised from Android to make 8.1 run on a RAM-starved device, but they've rendered NetGuard useless.
    • They've also intentionally limited the Wi-Fi settings: the only thing you can set is the WPA key. No static IP assignment, and no way to override the ISP's DNS servers from being used
  • The bootloader doesn't seem to be locked, but there's still no way as of this moment to root the device. To nobody's surprise with a device like this, there's no kernel source to download. The only way to get the kernel image used on the device is from the original firmware, which is nowhere to be found on the Internet. As it stands, I don't really trust using this device on my Wi-Fi network. AFWall and AdAway would alleviate that feeling for me.
qwerty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #92
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
They've also intentionally limited the Wi-Fi settings: the only thing you can set is the WPA key. No static IP assignment, and no way to override the ISP's DNS servers from being used
Sure there is if you have a decent Router, then the DNS is whatever the DHCP on the Router hands out.
But most ISP DNS are more private than 3rd party. Never use Google as it exists to track activity.
Also if the mac address or device name doesn't change a decent DHCP server can always assign a pre-decided IP.
I have DHCP disabled on my ISP supplied router as it has no bridge mode for a separate router and use DHCP server on an Open WRT router that's not used to route.

I've seen loads of Android stuff with no manual or Static IP, only ability to enter the key/password.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #93
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle k4nt
Hey qwerty12,
Thanks a lot for the report. I will receive mine in a few days

I'm also a bit concerned about eventual spyware. But are there actually real report that there is something?

If yes, do you think that putting the device on the wifi is actually riskier than plugging it by usb on a pc/mac?
And what about always using the 4g network sharing of a smartphone instead of personnal wifi? I imagin it to be much more sandboxed, no?

thanks
michel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #94
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Looks like AliExpress now has the InkPalm 5 mini e-reader, but HOLY CRAP! the price is now $170.73, which is 30% off of the $243.90
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #95
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel24 View Post
I'm also a bit concerned about eventual spyware. But are there actually real report that there is something?
I'll admit that I'm a pessimist when it comes to China and its spying but given the level of government control it wouldn't surprise me at all of they require companies to install a back door/spyware.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #96
qwerty12
qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qwerty12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Sure there is if you have a decent Router, then the DNS is whatever the DHCP on the Router hands out.
But most ISP DNS are more private than 3rd party. Never use Google as it exists to track activity.
Also if the mac address or device name doesn't change a decent DHCP server can always assign a pre-decided IP.
I have DHCP disabled on my ISP supplied router as it has no bridge mode for a separate router and use DHCP server on an Open WRT router that's not used to route.

I've seen loads of Android stuff with no manual or Static IP, only ability to enter the key/password.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I just saw yesterday that even my barebones, locked-down ISP router has the option to override the DNS server addresses it hands out. I would change things there but I don't want to break anything for anybody else on the network. I was going to set the inkPalm to AdGuard's servers to make up for the inability to use AdAway on this device or run another app that sets up a VPN.

I've honestly never had an Android device before that had locked down that part. I can't for the of life me understand why... I now suddenly see the value in having a Pi-hole set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel24 View Post
Hey qwerty12,
Thanks a lot for the report. I will receive mine in a few days
Hey, congrats, it's a great e-reader

Quote:
No. I'm not an expert in security (or networking for that matter) in the slightest. There could be innocuous explanations for everything too. Like I've said that NetGuard doesn't work, and I'm quite sure of that too. NetGuard relies on the VPN functionality of Android, and that does seem broken here - when NG was active, the device's settings still said the VPN was off and it wouldn't let me turn on the always-on setting (this works without issue on my Samsung phone and Nova 3). Since this is a device meant to be sold only in China, Xiaomi may have to intentionally prevent the VPN functionality from working. But I haven't tested any other program that uses Android's VPN functionality, like Blokada or AdGuard or Intra or DNS66.

And I do find the locked down network settings annoying, but a DNS leak test shows the device using my ISP's DNS servers so there's no privacy issue there.

I still maintain the inclusion of a microphone without a corresponding speaker is odd (I might have damaged mine in my attempts to boot this thing into FEL mode and I'm not even sad about it) but it could be just easily be a compromise to include dictaphone functionality without compromising the weight of the device.

I haven't done a proper analysis (and I'm not sure I would be able to) but according to this device's logcat, http://captive.v2ex.co/generate_204 is contacted much like connectivitycheck.gstatic.com/generate_204 etc. usually is on a "normal" Android phone to check for Wi-Fi networks where you have to sign in. iotapi.adups.com is contacted every time the Wi-Fi is connected to check for firmware updates - from what I can see, there is nothing excessive sent at all.

Quote:
If yes, do you think that putting the device on the wifi is actually riskier than plugging it by usb on a pc/mac?
And what about always using the 4g network sharing of a smartphone instead of personnal wifi? I imagin it to be much more sandboxed, no?
I've not seen any evidence of this device trying to siphon data from other devices, for what it's worth. To be honest, the only reason I would connect it to Wi-Fi in the first place is to let Moon Reader sync book positions so I can pick up on my Boox. With a gig of RAM, browsing sites isn't probably going to be a comfortable experience.

---

This device does seem to use PWM for its backlight but for the price, I guess that's no surprise:

Code:
virgo-perf1:/proc/lm3630a $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep PWM
# CONFIG_INPUT_PWM_BEEPER is not set
# CONFIG_SENSORS_PWM_FAN is not set
# CONFIG_REGULATOR_PWM is not set
# CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_PWM is not set
# CONFIG_LEDS_PWM is not set
# CONFIG_COMMON_CLK_PWM is not set
CONFIG_PWM=y
CONFIG_PWM_SYSFS=y
# CONFIG_PWM_FSL_FTM is not set
# CONFIG_PWM_PCA9685 is not set
# CONFIG_PWM_SUN4I is not set
CONFIG_PWM_SUNXI=y
virgo-perf1:/proc/lm3630a $ ls
debug_brightness leda_brightness ledb_brightness on_off_ramp runtime_ramp
debug_enable     leda_max_cur    ledb_max_cur    pwm_level
virgo-perf1:/proc/lm3630a $
Old 05-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #97
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
This is a constantly monitored listening device. So when I’m reading anti-Chinese government books on it I just mouth the words. My housemates Siri and Alexa are glad to give their ears a rest.

Last edited by rowe; 05-20-2021 at 05:27 PM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #98
treo
Read ebook - save a tree
treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Touch, InkPalm, PB Touch HD 3, Oasis, Aura One, Paperlike
Thumbs up

I've got my InkPalm and I'm quite happy with it 🤓

Few notes:

The settings on my InkPalm look different, but Google Translate was helpful.

There are settings for touch and long touch on InkPalm logo. Set them to Back and Go to Launcher and can navigate without any additional app.

After switching to English, have installed all apps via wifi, without ADB.

Removed pre-installed Kindle app.
From the standard browser installed Amazon Store App and logged in.
From the standard store installed Kindle app again and got logged with my Amazon.com account. So, all my library is with me again 📚

From the standard store installed KoReader and MoonReader and got them in English.

Just for reading, that's more than enough... No need to install any additional app store.

+ Great reading experience. Outside on sunlight and with the warm frontlight at night.

- Kindle app is not showing the audio in the books.
- Have no succes with any of TTS apps. Any suggestions are welcome!

= Yes, it's a bit slippery. Placed a small finger strap at the back and it's doing fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0B584156-EE0E-4730-B937-57AE535C087E.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	187247   Click image for larger version

Name:	841FA3FD-EC0D-41E1-9D32-ED99DF02B456.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	187248   Click image for larger version

Name:	7536ABF9-CB77-4275-BAC6-73EDBB93B796.png
Views:	306
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	187249   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF465BF6-C6F2-430E-B97B-F8634A9C0F82.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	187250   Click image for larger version

Name:	BFE429B6-9E54-4E84-9BF5-437CA9B45502.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	187251  
treo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #99
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good tips for the logo button. I hadn’t realised it had a long press function. I’ve changed it to return to launcher too.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #100
rowe
Zealot

Hisense just launched a pocket reader too:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/4youdai...-hi-fi-player/

I would still prefer the Inkpalm but good to see another alternative.

Last edited by rowe; 05-21-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #101
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
does this support fast scrolling mode? Can it do gifs or turn page animations?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #102
qwerty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by treo View Post
I've got my InkPalm and I'm quite happy with it 🤓
That's a great shade of green, it looks nice

Quote:
There are settings for touch and long touch on InkPalm logo. Set them to Back and Go to Launcher and can navigate without any additional app.
I set my inkPalm to toggle the backlight when the button is held, but it turns out that if you manually set the backlight yourself to 0, then holding it has no effect. May as well do the same as you and set it to take me back home.

Quote:
- Have no succes with any of TTS apps. Any suggestions are welcome!
I got TTS in Moon Reader to work. No idea if this will work for you in the Kindle application.
  1. As there's no headphone socket or speakers, pair some Bluetooth device to the inkPalm
  2. Install a TTS engine of some sort. I went for Google's, which can be found here.
  3. Because, as far as I can tell, TTS options aren't exposed in the limited settings on here, you need to get creative. Plug your inkPalm into the PC and run adb shell settings put secure tts_default_synth com.google.android.tts to set the Google TTS engine as the default

I didn't try this out myself, but you can adjust the default pitch and rate (default values given):

adb shell settings put secure tts_default_pitch 100
adb shell settings put secure tts_default_rate 100

You can bring up the window to install a voice with adb shell am start -n com.google.android.tts/.local.voicepack.ui.VoiceDataInstallActivity. But after choosing a voice from the English (United Kingdom) section, Moon Reader continued to use a US voice.

What you can't do is bring up Google's TTS settings: adb shell am start -n com.google.android.tts/.settings.EngineSettings fails. Shouldn't be a problem if someone manages to get root on this device.

A question of my own: does EinkBro work for you? It kept crashing here whenever I tried it.

And as I type this and connect to the Wi-Fi, a new system update is available:
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrcpy_wHoyLfaPES.png
Views:	196
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	187257
Old 05-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #103
philips
philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.philips ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by treo View Post
Removed pre-installed Kindle app.
From the standard browser installed Amazon Store App and logged in.
From the standard store installed Kindle app again and got logged with my Amazon.com account. So, all my library is with me again ��
Weird. I tried this and the Amazon App Store says the Kindle app is incompatible with my device.
philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #104
qwerty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You can bring up the window to install a voice with adb shell am start -n com.google.android.tts/.local.voicepack.ui.VoiceDataInstallActivity. But after choosing a voice from the English (United Kingdom) section, Moon Reader continued to use a US voice.
As my post count isn't high enough to let me edit my previous posts...

Ah, you can change the voice used. Run that adb command I mentioned in the quoted post to download a voice and choose a variant, and then with a computer run adb shell settings put secure tts_default_locale com.google.android.tts:en_GB - en_GB in this case being English - United Kingdom. de_AT would be German - Austria, nl_BE Dutch - Belgium, fr_BE French - Belgium etc. etc.

The Google TTS engine collects "anonymous usage reports" by default. As you can't get to the TTS settings here, you can't turn that off.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:31 AM   #105
treo
Read ebook - save a tree
treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Touch, InkPalm, PB Touch HD 3, Oasis, Aura One, Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by philips View Post
Weird. I tried this and the Amazon App Store says the Kindle app is incompatible with my device.
I've installed Kindle app not from Amazon store, but from the pre-installed device Appstore. But, you need to log once in AmazonStore beforehand.
treo is offline   Reply With Quote