Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
gylman
gylman began at the beginning.

Device: iPAQ HX4700
confused about DRM

Hi.

I got my 505 today after eyeing this for quite a while. I've been lurking around here for a bit, and made up my mind finally

I have read PDFs on other handheld devices, and I have to say I am not totally blown away by the PDF reading on this device. Acrobat Reader works significantly better on my PocketPC device.

However, the screen size is nicer of course, and it feels good in the hand, so I really want to give this reader a shot.

After making sure it all worked on the usual files that I read, I tried to put the manual on the 505 so that I could read it at my leisure. But I get a "protected page" warning on it. Looking at Info, it appears that it is "digital rights protected."

So, sorry for being so dense, how do I "unprotect it" so I can read this darn file?

BTW, I have no trouble reading the file on my PC.... I must be missing something simple.

Another thing I ran into was that for some, not all, of my books, there was a large amount of whitespace left at the right margin, which did not change no matter how I changed my font size.

It is apparent that I should be looking at transcoding all my PDFs.... is that what most people do?

Thanks for any help.
Cheers.
gylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Hmmm, I wouldn't think the 505's manual would be protected. Anyway, have you installed Adobe Digital Editions?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gylman View Post
It is apparent that I should be looking at transcoding all my PDFs.... is that what most people do?

Thanks for any help.
Cheers.
PDF was never intended to be an eBook format, and is pretty much the worst possible choice of format for an eBook. Its fundamental problem is that it is a representation of fixed-sized "pages" - generally A4 or letter sized - and there's just no good way to display an A4 page on a screen that's only 1/6th the area of an A4 page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
gylman
gylman began at the beginning.

Device: iPAQ HX4700
Thanks. I have not gone and formally installed Adobe DE on anything. I have a standard copy of Adobe Reader on my PC that has no trouble reading the manual.

It's just the PRS505 that won't read the manual. I wasn't aware that I could install extra software on that. I presume if I install Adobe DE, it would go onto my PC...
gylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gylman View Post

I presume if I install Adobe DE, it would go onto my PC...
Yes, you presume correctly.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert