Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
readabit
Enthusiast
readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, NOOK Color.
Question Ereader App with Auto Sync of Highlights, etc. once Wifi Available

I've been using Moon+ Reader Pro for years, and it's a great app in many ways. But one of the things I wish was different was that syncing/uploading of Highlights/Bookmarks/ReadingPosition only occurs if you're connected to the internet (eg, Wifi) whenever you exit the book. I can understand why Moon+ Reader, and probably a number of similar apps, work this way. But with my trying out the Likebook Mars eink reader I'm finding that I don't want to have Wifi on unless I truly need it, since I want to save battery life.

Does anyone know of a Android ereader app that does syncing better or different from this? For example, it would be great if I could read some in several different books, all with Wifi off, and then turn Wifi on at the end of my reading session and know/trust that the app would sync/upload the Highlights/Bookmarks/ReadingPositions for all of those recently read books. A nice bonus would be having a Sync Now button as well so that I could manually initiate the sync when I was done reading (and after turning on Wifi).

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
readabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #2
readabit
Enthusiast
readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, NOOK Color.
I just wanted to give an update for other's benefit: I've been doing some research it appears that BookFusion ( https://www.bookfusion.com ) does exactly what I've described -- you can make Highlights while offline, then close the app, and then whenever you go online the cached updates sync automatically in the background. It's pretty cool!

The BookFusion reading app itself is pretty limited/basic unfortunately (especially in comparison to Moon+ Reader, which I feel like is one of the "gold standards" among reading apps), but I'm hopeful they'll be improving it. Currently they need to add the ability to customize the default Highlight color (as the current color is invisible on Eink), and the option to disable page turn animations (for eink).

I still welcome any other recommendations, suggestions, etc. regarding my original query.
readabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As arleady mentioned: Bookfusion (Android/iOS/Web, constantly improves, this also mean that Web can have features Android doesn't have yet.).

Also: Bookari/ex Mantano Reader (warning: crashes on Android 10 for me, support team almost unresponsive, sync server is sometimes down)

Also: Bookmate (last time I checked it was possible to ignore their subscription crap and just upload own books)(warning:handles even semi-complex formating very bad)
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:34 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by readabit View Post
.. I'm finding that I don't want to have Wifi on unless I truly need it, since I want to save battery life.

Does anyone know of a Android ereader app that does syncing better or different from this?
well you say you want to save battery life, but then you want an app that will stay alive in the background, constantly polling to see if you have turned wifi back on yet, so that it can upload a sync ???

that , if it existed, would probably burn up more battery than just leaving wifi ON for moon to do its thing.. especially as a simple behavioral change will achieve it all...
just train yourself to pause reading, pull down settings and enable wifi, then resume reading and exit the book, in moon.
after a couple of seconds you can turn wifi off again if you must.

Last edited by stumped; 12-22-2019 at 02:36 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, highlight, reading position, sync, wifi